Loose valve stem

DougS

Doug S
While traveling down a mountain road in CO. this summer, our tire monitor went off for low pressure. When we pulled over, we found the nut locking down the metal stem was loose and leaking air. We guess the stem probably came loose from taking the tire sender on and off. The valve was tightened, tire inflated and back on the road. Just thought I would pass the info on, just one more thing to check on the RV.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I had the same thing happen to the outside rear on our truck. Glad I have a dually. I had to remove the tire to get at the nut but once tight, all was well. Still holding too.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Speaking of valve stems, I recently found out the tire store where I bought new tires last year installed low pressure passenger car stems on two of my tires. And the clowns really didn't know how to balance tires, either. I took the truck to a nearby truck tire dealer, looking for the bolt on stems (they didn't have them), but they replaced all of the stems with metal core, pull through high pressure ones and rebalanced all seven tires. Seems the other place put a weight where the machine indicated and then another one at 180 degrees from it. No wonder the ride was crap. But now, it's smooth as silk (almost).

If your stems are as stiff as wet spaghetti, you may have the wrong ones.