Heat

cocampers

We have a 2013 Bighorn and haven't traveled in the heat yet. We're heading to Az. where temps will be in the 110's. Do any of you have experience with how well the air conditioners should work? We camped in low 90's last week and they didn't seem to shut off. TIA!

danemayer

Hi cocampers,

We've been in 108 degrees in Utah in our Landmark and the A/C will run continuously most of the day. We've also spent plenty of days all over the country with temps in the 100-103 range. When you get to your destination and set up at 5pm and it's 100+ degrees, the A/C will have quite a time cooling the rig, but eventually it will get there. Take advantage of the lower temps in the morning and set the thermostat as low as you can stand it to "get ahead" of the heat of the day.

Direct sun beating on the windows creates an unbelievable heat load inside. Anything you can do to block the sun will help enormously.

For more tips, take a look at our owner-written Heating and Cooling Guide.

Gary521

At 110, one AC will not cool your rig very well. As danemayer, said, block or cover the windows as best you can. Run the AC on high fan. Running on low fan may freeze the AC unit,

wdk450

Moving air helps cool me almost as much as an air conditioner. I would think about having 1 or 2 tabletop fans.
I also bought a tabletop icemaker that makes a small load of ice every 12 minutes. I have been able to start that up with an inverter AC power system about an hour before arrival, and have plenty of ice during setup.
If you have a generator in the trailer, you may be able to start cooling it down before you arrive at your destination.

Wmnmy

I live in las vegas and we have had 116 temps and I usually run ac all day with a couple of fans to blow air through out the unit I only have one ac unit for my 30 ft rig seems to work even had it in 118 temps in Arizona last year cooled to to bout 25-30 deg than outside . if you have a genny run it while driving .

Wmnmy

:cool:
We like our Vornado brand fans, they really help circulate the air, better than any typical tabletop fan out there. We have two going ASAP we set up. They really help get the coach cooled down.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000E5WAUO/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/187-3003148-3089042
thanks for the link now I have to do more shopping lol but I like the vornado price lol so do you turn on your fantastic fan before cooling off your unit it helps me a little.
I am sure it get hot in Texas.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ParkIt

We like our Vornado brand fans, they really help circulate the air, better than any typical tabletop fan out there. We have two going ASAP we set up. They really help get the coach cooled down.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000E5WAUO/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/187-3003148-3089042
Got one of the smaller Vornado's for the bedroom at Costco (2 pack for the price of 1), set it up on the 'bookshelf' next to the bed to circulate air around the bedroom. Its the only place that doesn't get good air circulation. Prefer them over any other brand so far since they can be at high speed and not sound like a jet engine.

I am thinking of putting in a mod using dual fans you usually see for larger MH front windows on the corners of the bed slide out (up by the pillow area) to get better circulation overall. Since the over head lights are there I should be able to fish wiring in for an on/off switch right next to the headboard so I don't have to reach far in half sleep needing more air flow.

Mizmary

I concur with the vornados. I can't stand fans at all but the DH can't live without them. I'll take any tower fan, but the vornado is best.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

Yes, we added a fantastic fan in the bedroom and have to ACs. Both ACs running, fantastic fan pulling hot air out, and fantastic fans circulating both downstairs and upstairs.

We often put the upstairs fan on the floor, aimed down stairs... Since the bedroom ac gets that room cold first, the Vornado brings upstairs cold air down to the kitchen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary521

Cocampers, I assume that you have two AC's as you referred to the AC as "They". With two, you should be OK. Running all the time could be the set temp on the thermostat. When it's over 100 outside, it ain't gonna get to the low 70's inside easily.