Commode Burp

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
OK, once again I turn to the all knowing and wise. -- Up until two weeks or so ago, my commode worked fine. Now for last two weeks, every time you flush, you get a burp before the waste goes down. Sometimes a medium burp and sometimes a major burp that splashes waste water on to the commode seat. Does not matter if you have solid or just liquid waste, it still burps.

Any ideas what may be causing this, and more importantly, any ideas on how to fix my burp problem?

brianharrison

If you are comfortable, go up on the roof, remove the vent cover (mine had one screw under sealant, on top of cap) and flush down water from garden hose.

Brian

jnbhobe

Keith, it sounds like you have a pile of crud in the bottom of your tank, your may have to back flush it a few times.
LOL It just took me an hour to finish this post I got side tracked with grandkids.

TedS

The burp is air trapped in the tank. Most likely the vent is not venting. Maybe paper floated over when the tank was full and clogged the vent. Rinse from the roof outlet would clear it.

Birchwood

We have had the burp situation a few times in our last four years of fulltiming I always thought it may be a buildup of solids on the bottom of the tank at the end of flush pipe.I normally just add lots of water to the tank by holding the flush valve and it goes away.

klindgren

Thanks everyone. I will try the flushing from the top when I get home tomorrow. We have moved twice in the last 2 weeks and it did not seem to solve the problem by flushing the system. We are dry camping right now, and I'll flush when I get home then get out the big ladder and try from the top down. Thanks again everyone even if jnbhobe did try to tell me I was full of something.:D:D

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I had that burping one time and it turned out to be a clogged pipe between the toilet and the tank.
A good plunging and a lot of water cleared it up.

Peace
Dave

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The commode will 'burg' when the black tank is full. Empty the black tank and flush it out and all will be well.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
One question I didn't see asked.. Do you leave your black tank valve open all the time when camping? If so you probably have a large build up of debris in the tank.

If you keep the tank closed while at a campground then your tank is full and needs to be dumped.

If you dump your black tank often follow the advice above and check for a vent problem.

FWIW
BC

DougAndJudy

We have this happen occasionally. The tank is not full, but it seems there is an accumulation of debris in the tank under the flush pipe. To clear it I fill the toilet until it's nearly full then flush. Usually I get a burp the first time (and have a bit of splashed water to clean up...). Filling the toilet again then flushing and the burp is gone.

jmgratz

The key to keeping debris from building up in the black tank is:
1. Use plenty of water to flush
2. Keep the valve closed until you empty the tank
3. When emptying the tank be generous in flushing it after emptying.
4. We use Calgon water softener and Dawn dishwashing liquid in the tank to help keep it clean. It works and prevents the smell as well
5. Do not empty the tank until it is at least 3/4 full unless you add plenty of water.
6. If it burps that is usually a sign it is almost full.

klindgren

Thanks folks. Yesterday before we left our "dry" campsite, I flushed the commode for an unusually long time, then when I got home and drained and flushed the tank, I let the black flush run an extra long time. Seems to have done the trick. I knew the tank could not have been near full because it had only been 4 days since we dumped but it must have been some clogging near the vent pipe because flushing cleared up the problem. Thanks again for everyones help.

jmgratz

Thanks folks. Yesterday before we left our "dry" campsite, I flushed the commode for an unusually long time, then when I got home and drained and flushed the tank, I let the black flush run an extra long time. Seems to have done the trick. I knew the tank could not have been near full because it had only been 4 days since we dumped but it must have been some clogging near the vent pipe because flushing cleared up the problem. Thanks again for everyones help.

We have experienced your type of issues if the toilet is flushed with paper in it without sufficient water. One time we even have to use a plunger (plumbers helper) to clear the blockage. So be sure everyone knows to flush with alot of water. Sometimes we might even make sure the bowl is at least half full of water (with the debris) when flushing. Good luck and Happy Toileting LOL

kowAlski631

We also put at least 4 or 5 gallons of water in the black tank after we dump & rinse. That makes sure we're not accumulating solids at the bottom of the tank & gives the soap & calgon something to slosh in.

RoadJunkie

Maybe this thread is leaning towards dumping hints:

One of my best purshases has been the clear section that attaches to the drain hose. This allows you to see a normal flow during draining. I have observed (during dumping) a quick flow followed by a typical slow-down of flow that indicats a bottleneck of flow. I typically have the DW fill and dump the toilet while I observe the flow and content to ensure clear and steady flow.

klindgren

We have experienced your type of issues if the toilet is flushed with paper in it without sufficient water. One time we even have to use a plunger (plumbers helper) to clear the blockage. So be sure everyone knows to flush with alot of water. Sometimes we might even make sure the bowl is at least half full of water (with the debris) when flushing. Good luck and Happy Toileting LOL

Guilty as charged!! Thanks Jim. Because we were dry camping, I tended to limit the amount of "flush" water I used. I'm sure, now, that was my problem. Not enough water with each flush. I'll make sure I don't make that mistake again!