HDTV via Satellite

Oldlthrnecksgirl

Hisyoungercuterwife
Well, it was pretty windy, lol. Once it had blown over I tipped it back upright and tried wobbling it and it was pretty wobbly. Not what I would consider a stable base.

Signal, I agree, the tripod seems the best idea,,, now just have to find the right one.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I've had DirecTV installers in two states tell me "no way" could I put a HD dish on a tripod and expect it to work. (I was also told to aim it you'd need an expensive piece of equipment, not just a compass) But if I hear many are doing this successfully, I would like to try it, too. Until then, I will wait and live with regular DirecTV picture and HD from the antenna.

As for concrete in a bucket as a dish base, in Kansas wind you'd want something WIDER at the bottom. (that dish acts like a sail) But that'd be heavy to move around the country. I say tripod with a wide footprint.

I had to chuckle at your comment on Kansas wind , every time we have been there can't remember a calm day. We were at a Rally there ,went in to a store in town and ask the sales girl if the wind ever stopped blowing. The girl just shook her head yes and said but you don't want it to stop. I then had to ask why and she said thats when all the skeeters come out.:)

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Well, it was pretty windy, lol. Once it had blown over I tipped it back upright and tried wobbling it and it was pretty wobbly. Not what I would consider a stable base.

Signal, I agree, the tripod seems the best idea,,, now just have to find the right one.

I have heard good things about the Bullseye Dish Mount... check www.rvdishmount.com for more info... good luck...Ken

aquiring signal

I had to chuckle at your comment on Kansas wind , every time we have been there can't remember a calm day. We were at a Rally there ,went in to a store in town and ask the sales girl if the wind ever stopped blowing. The girl just shook her head yes and said but you don't want it to stop. I then had to ask why and she said thats when all the skeeters come out.:)

Kansas wind is ridiculous. I regret having the slide top awnings whenever we come here. I worked with a guy from Chicago, "the windy city" and he said Kansas is FAR windier.

Oldlthrnecksgirl

Hisyoungercuterwife
Ken, I checked out that link,,, looks great as long as you have dirt to plant it in. Really great actually. Unfortunately, our present site does not allow that so am looking for something to set it up on a concrete pad. Larry W posted a couple of links so I think we are going to go with the second option. Still burns me that Direct TV doesnt have the actual equipment needed to install their satellite dishes for people on the move.

When we were in Kansas I was standing in a lineup in a makeup store and said "This must be the State that invented hairspray". It got a chuckle or two and one lady said "messy hair is more than a fashion statement, it is a way of life here" lolol,,, love it!

jpmorgan37

I use a Dewalt surveyors tripod and the claw to anchor my satellite internet dish. It's 39 inches wide and has withstood some pretty strong winds. I think if you would get a setup like this, your DirecTv dish will stay upright and not blow over. Here is the link for the Claw: The claw You will probably need to buy or make an offset bracket for the dish mount. Here is what one looks like but this is for an internet dish and the post will probably be too large: tripod and offset bracket

John

jpmorgan37

I just read your post about being on a concrete pad. In that situation, I use a 5 gallon water jug to anchor the tripod. That works well also. The benefit of the surveyors tripod is that you can spread the legs wide apart for added stability.

John

aquiring signal

We have this tripod from Camping World.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunum=26276&affiliateid=590

It has been "Kansas wind tested".:D With the legs adjusted for max footprint and pins into the ground through the tabs on each leg it's very stable. (I have it bungeed to a cinderblock, too, but I like that claw mentioned above)

I'm not sure if the setup I have is strong enough for the larger HD dish though. Plus, are we saying that the HD dishes mount to a 2" tube? I will look closer at mine to see if it can be easily modified.

donabel

Pictures finally

Here are a couple of pictures of my set up.
It is usually really hard to find the HD satellite on DishNet.
I am considering trying Direct TV. They carry their HD on sat 119 which seems easier to find than sat 129.

Attachments

• dish set up1`.jpg
    dish set up1`.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 62
  • dish set 3.jpg
    dish set 3.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 57

donabel

I bought the meter that Camper World sells and I can get sat 110 & 119 pretty easily but the 129 that carries most of DishNets HD programming is very low in the sky and a real pain to find. I move almost weekly so it is getting old paying for programming that I can't get.

I hope this was helpful.
Don

Delaine and Lindy

Well was going to share some info on the 5 LNB, however got to reading the posted info by The RV-Ramblers (Ken & Jane). I had sent or posted the info for them. I will be using HDTV from Direct-TV with our new Big Horn. We have two Samsung Tv's 46" & 40" for our new house, so for we are very impressed with them. Haven't used the brand that the BH has, hope they are as good as the Samsungs. We have the old type 5 LNB that we used with the other 5er but Direct TV came and installed a new system for the Stick house. The new 5 LNB is called slim line its a little smaller. Hope to get the new BH and get all the HDTV system up and running before our shake down trip in Mar. Will take a run out to Mo. Oh well if it gets done it gets done. I really don't have anything to do but if I don't get it done today I will try again tomorrow. HDTV is awesome, and its getting better everyday... GBY.....

vu cube

My wife and I are planning on buying a Vu Cube system for our 3670. Just wondering if anyone has any information on the unit. They are a bit spendy for a portable but look to be convenient.

sealman

There is a post from StevieWonder on the Cube from a few weeks ago. He found it to be almost as expensive by the time you are done as a roof mount. If I remember right he had gone as far buying one and returning it.
Good luck,
John
I love my roof mount.

Vu Cube

OK IWill answer my own question. I went and bought one anyway and figured I would give it a try. Got a good deal on a new one using E Bay. Took a bit to figure out including one call to tech support because the info pamphlet is lacking. As soon as I figured out how to reset the link between the remote and the cube I had it up and running in less that 5 minutes. The picture was crystal clear. (BTW the guy next to me with the 1500 dollar dome took 3 hours to get his picture). Only problem is I think it will only feed one reciever. That means I either watch trash or have Suzie mad at me all weekend :). If you have the cash this is a very convenient unit.

ddfarms

Can anyone help us with our Samsung surround sound connections? We hooked up a Directv satillite and the TV works. But how do we get TV sound to go thru our surround sound Samsung? Is it possible? What cables do we use or do we need additional cables?