HDTV via Satellite

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
Satellite issues

We checked the direction of the dish, and it hasn't changed since we set it up. All settings are right on. I'm now told that the dish lnb's may be out of alignment. Why?

ct0218

The dish can be pointed in the right direction (azimuth) but you also have elevation and skew settings. If they are correct (and it doesn't take much on HD to lose the signal on one or more satellites) then I would suggest checking your signal strength on each satellite. In the Menu, under setup, you can view the strength for each transponder. Mine will be slightly different than yours, but I have the following: 32 active transponders on satellite 101; 3 on 110; 11 on 119; 14 on 99(c); 16 on 99(s); 14 on 103(c); 16 on 103(s). If you're showing dashes on all transponders for a satellite, then the dish is not picking up the signal.

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
correct

A box comes up that shows "X" or a check mark. I only have one check mark. We are right on with the azimuth, elevation, and level, so I think I'll have the man who installed it come by and check it out. PITA! is what it is.:mad:
Thanks for your suggestions. I will recheck those settings, but it is raining right now, and we are losing some stations as I write this.

ct0218

On mine, the signal strength for each transponder on each satellite is a dash, a number, or a "N/A". I have no X or check mark, nor do I remember ever seeing either. Not sure what you have going on there, but keep us posted. What receiver brand and model are you using?

ct0218

Just a thought---have you reset the receiver? I had a problem a couple of years ago receiving programming and the tech told me to reset the receiver, everything went back to normal.

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
We use Direct also and have a satellite mounted on top of the fiver. I take 2 of the receivers out of the house when traveling and hook them up. I tried to get Direct to give me 2 more receivers and charge me for them but the run a round that we went through was not worth the effort, therefor the reason for taking the 2 out of the house. They did not want 2 accounts but the hassel wasn't worth it. If you have a satellite connected to your fiver and wand abc, cbs, etc you will have to get a waiver. look at their website and you can fill out the waiver. You will need your vin. Good Luck.

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
Satellit Issues

I don't know what brand the HDDVR is, but I am at my wits ends with the whole setup. We had all of the setting properly determined, and we couldn't get the local channels. I reset the receiver multiple times, reprogrammed it like Direct told me to do, and never got them back.
I'm going to call the guy who installed it, set it up at home, and have him check it. Thanks for your suggestions, though. I appreciate any and all input from ya'll.

AlexSian

Mobile Broadband Consultant
From my understanding, there are still about 8 to 10 HD channels available on the older system, but the new ones are all on the new system.
Now, if DirecTV would only start using TiVo based DVR's on the new system.. I'd be a happy camper. LK

Happy camping is on its way!

I still use four HR10-250's in my home (MPEG-2 DirecTV HD with real TiVo) and have been silently praying that DirecTV would come to their senses over the use of their own DVR technology. It looks like they have:

**** Freezes Over, new DirecTV HD TiVo on its way