Q's regarding Onboard AC Power Cord Reel on 2014 Savannah

MrRvGypsy

Look at a 2014.5 Savannah yesterday. Beautiful coach, wifes loves it and I was surprisingly impressed by build quality. Couple questions re the power cord reel.
1. how is it access for repair?
2. how do you wind in the cord if motor or mechanism fails?
3. has anyone modified cheap plastic cord access door? Door on unit at dealer already falling apart as salesman was demo'ing it. Clips and washing falling off little plastic flap door.
4. has anyone considered modifying power cord reel so cord come out the bottom or the trailer rather than the side?

Thanks

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
MrRvGypsy, the motor on my cord reel went out. To retract the cord I had to grab the side of the reel and SLOWLY reel it back in. There isn't much room to move it very much. I ended up borrowing a 50 amp extension cord from my dealer. I pulled out just enough of the cord to attach the extension cord and it worked fine until the new motor came in.

My door broke off due to the tension of the cord against the thin plastic door, so when I got the replacement, I installed it with the cord slots on the bottom instead of the top. There was no tension and after several months, no more problems.

Not sure about the third question.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Here are a couple of my thoughts on your questions.

1. how is it access for repair?.....After over three years of use, I have had no repair issues. If repairs are needed, it looks like the J-panel would have to be removed. Should not be too much work to do.

2. how do you wind in the cord if motor or mechanism fails?.....
Again, no failures. I have given it some thought though. I think if there was a failure I would pull the cord out all the way and wrap it around the ladder and secure it there with a tie strap till I got around to repairing it.

3. has anyone modified cheap plastic cord access door? Door on unit at dealer already falling apart as salesman was demo'ing it. Clips and washing falling off little plastic flap door.....
Again, no problem there. The dealer should be able to get a replacement door from Heartland.

4. has anyone considered modifying power cord reel so cord come out the bottom or the trailer rather than the side?
....Not here. What would be gained by doing that. Seems that it would be a real pain to retract or deploy the cord in that position.

These are just my thoughts.

Peace
Dave