Getting Frustrated with Mobile Connectivity

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
We too use ATT mobile share on both of our phones and have had no problems and with the package came unlimited voice and text. We try to use park wifi but more often than not it is not very good. Speeds have generally been very good with our phones as a hot spot and hook up is extremely easy.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Malcolm,

The Verizon data products I use are made by Novatel. Perhaps you can look for Novatel products used by AT&T if you need to stick with that carrier.

I just got a new MiFi as I wanted one I could USB tether to the WiFi Ranger. I also wanted an external antenna port as I plan to add one to the roof of the RV. So I went with the Novatel 4620LE.

Wishing you the best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Jim, the Liberate is made by Novatel. One of the reasons I chose it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MCTalley

Bump for the latest update.

We got back into town right near the end of our billing period on AT&T. Though our current mifi unit has been acting better since my last post, I found that AT&T's "you're nearing your data limit" text messages and emails are getting greatly delayed (if they arrive at all). Monday morning after we left our rig (with most of our technology in hand to update apps and files at our house), I got a 75% of data used text message (we were already into our first 1 gig overage at this point). With today (Tuesday) being our new billing period, I made it a point to minimize data usage to stretch that last 1/4 gig of data through the day and evening. I even called the *data# number on my phone and it verified that 800-ish megabytes had been used.

20 minutes later, I get another text message indicating that our 1 gig was used up and another was starting. Based upon the messages, one would assume that something back at the trailer was using 250 megabytes of data per 20 minutes. I later verified via AT&T's website that the data had, in fact, been used prior to Monday morning. The messages were just not being sent out real-time. We marched straight to AT&T and decided we were going to switch out our mifi unit (that we assumed was eating up data) for a USB thumb drive modem to use with our Wifi Ranger. AT&T no longer carries USB thumb drive modems.

To make a long story short, Verizon is shipping our new UML290 thumb drive modem to us this week and we'll be using that with the Wifi Ranger for internet connectivity. We'll be dropping our data package from 20 to 5 gigs at AT&T (we still have phones, etc. under contract for a while). Between the two carriers, we'll by paying about the same overall for data and phones. Eventually, when we decide to upgrade phones (3 of 4 on our AT&T plan are already eligible), we'll do those on Verizon.

MCTalley

Received Pantech UML-290, got it working on laptop, plug into WiFi Ranger Go (original, not Go2). Nothing.

If I connect it to my laptop, stand on one foot and hold the Verizon modem near our back window, I can get 2 bars of 4G. Disconnects every 30 seconds, though.

Guess I'll try it again somewhere I have a better signal.

Update: WFR is occasionally connecting the 290, but can't maintain due to very low 4G and 3G signals at our campground (generally 0 to 1 bars). Our ATT mifi carries a solid 2-3 bars at same location. I think the next $tep is to get an external antenna for the 290 and see if that helps - though since we will be here for 3 more weeks and have been spending more time at the office and the house I may just wait until we are moving again.

Last edited:

JanAndBill

Just disconnected my old Verizon USB720 modem before Christmas, as both of our new Verizon phones can act as hotspots. It was working great we just didn't need it any more. However I noticed that if I plugged it into the usb port on the computer, my signal wasn't as good as when I used the included "y" cable that connected to 2 usb ports at the same time. I set up a secure virtual access point on my laptop that allowed other computers to access and share my internet connection. Worked great, but using the phones as hotspots is so much easier, and we don't incur the line charge on the modem.

Gaffer

I had a Pantec USB modem on Verizon that worked really great. I could get internet at jeep camp during a rally where others couldn't get a cell call out. I switched to MIFI when it died and was not happy with it. My new MIFI however works great.