How many hours of drive time until you take a rest stop?

DesertThumper

I was wondering how long do you guys drive for until your next rest break in general?

We seem to average a break every 2-4 hours but more on the 3 hour mark if it will be a full day of driving.

kowAlski631

Since we don't have a schedule 99% of the time, we drive under 4 hours a day only. Did the full day driving when we first started out & found out that just doesn't work at all for us.

Smell the roses on the way.

Martha

Paul & Martha

Life's too short. Live so you can say "Remember when" not "I wish I had".

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Any road trip we take, trailer or not, we stop every 2 - 3 hours at a rest area. Without the rig, we switch drivers. I normally take the last leg since I research the destination routing.

Lynn1130

Jnbhobe's method is pretty much our schedule. I travel alone to hunt turkey in Kansas in the Spring and those trips I may go six hours or more but when the two of us travel I break more often. A large diesel tank makes stops further down the road. Bladder or back make the decision.

GOTTOYS

Once I go through the trouble of hitching up and disconnecting everything I like to put on some miles. It's not unusual for us to go 8-10 hours with a stop only when we need to. Some days it can be several hours other days not so much. Having this new puppy could slow us down a bit. She hasn't learned to go in a jar yet. LOL......Don

ramdually4100king

Alone... Till I need fuel again

With wife. It feels like every gas station. Hahaha. She makes me stop with in every two hours.

+1

With wife and kids it averages around three hours between stops. I have been on trips where we managed to go 10 miles in that three hours though. Nerves being shot was the major factor in deciding to stop then though.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We try to limit our drives to 300-350 miles a day and stop about every 2-3 hours. DW "needs" to stop and I like to stretch my legs. I can do a quick scan for Munzees and capture/deploy a few while we're stopped as well.

olcoon

We don't have any set time, whenever we have the need or are ready to stop. If we are on a road with rest areas, it's every rest area so DW can check or deploy Munzees! I'll back her up on the Munzees though!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Although we consider ourselves retired we still do contract work. So it depends on how far we need to go till the next job. But it usually averages about every 2-2 1/2 hours.

Eddhuy

Every 3 to 4 hours or sooner if needed. I don't mind driving all night just stopping for fuel but it depends on how far we have to travel and where we're headed.

Birchwood

Always leave by 8 oclock,coffee break at 10,lunch at 12,coffee break at 2 and hopefully at destination by 4.Our normal driving habit.

happykraut

The most I ever pulled was 820 mi in a day. Now we may go 400 plus. In the mornings when the diuretics kick in, we may do several roadside stops between rest areas. Like Roy and Sally, we stop at all rest areas to deploy munzees.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
We have been known to take on 10-12 hour driving days stopping only for fuel and when the used coffee is ready! Our work schedules and rally desires usually mean John has to be a "cowboy" because time is limited. We drive long hours so we can spend as much time as possible with our friends at our destinations. Someday we will settle down and enjoy our travels, but for now we gotta keep moving!

Kbvols

We typically drive 6 to 7 hours often after work and into the wee hours of the AM. Guess we are excited to get there and maximize time off. I have to say I look forward to the days I can hit it for 3 to 4 hours shut it down get set up and enjoy without being exhausted.

Theresau

We try to stop every 2 hours. And use the BC as our traveling facility if towing. Otherwise regular rest areas.

We returned home to MI for Christmas and left BC in FL; drove straight through (18 hours) but we made 3 major stops every 6 hours to eat and rest. We were pretty tired by the time we got here but happy we did this the next morning. :)

When towing BC, we usually go max of 8 hours before stopping at campground. We once did 12 hours and not fun...just kept saying we'll wait until the next one. :)