My list of Campgrounds and Escapees parks

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Over the years I have stayed in a number of RV Parks. Some good some not so good. Sometime ago I posted a GPX file of the campgrounds. I don't remember when I posted it but as I get ready to travel this year I was going through the list of campgrounds I have in BaseCamp. I exported them thinking that some of you might like to use the file to find campgrounds. You can import these into Streets & Trips of the Garmin mapping software.

Also I have photo of almost all of the campgrounds I have stayed in if anyone would like to know what a campground they want to go to actually looks like.

I have tried to attach the GPX file but getting an error.. Tried to change extension but the file is to large. If someone knows how to upload the file for everyone to use please let me know and I will give it a try... The file is 355 KB...

BC

danemayer

Hi Bobcat,

If you use Evernote or Dropbox, you can share a file, creating a link that you can embed in your post.

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
Bob,

Here is a list of file extensions the Forum software will allow to be uploaded.

Valid file extensions: bmp, csv, doc, gif, htm, html, jpe, jpeg, jpg, mov, ods, pdf, png, pps, psd, txt, xls, and zip

olcoon

You might try to copy & paste it into word or excel, then it should work on the forum.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Ok.. I am trying to upload the file again as a zip file. I haven't used the zip files in a long time, but it is built into windows 8.

Looks like this will work. I hope this helps someone.

BC

Attachments

• States and Escapees only.zip
    35.7 KB · Views: 109

wdk450

Bob:
Maybe you could set the file up on the free Google Drive storage space, like I use for my Bighorn Mods and Rallies attended lists in my signature. Then post a link to that Google Drive location.

olcoon

Bob,
I was able to open them in Garmin Basecamp, but as far as I can tell, nothing else. Of course I've got the dreded Mac, and not Windows!!! Worked fine in Basecamp. I don't know if anyone else can open it. I'll be up for a while if you want to call. We landed in Donna, TX tonight.

dave10a

Your file imported to my Garmin and Street Atlas with no problem. I assume that all the ones in the file are your recommendations and are big rig 5th wheel friendly . I use Google map to get a birds eye view and elevations to for how hilly they are. Too bad you could not link your photos. Thanks for the info-- the more campground data the better :)

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Bob - unfortunately I can not open the file in Windows 7. Would love to see your listing.
B--

TXBobcat

Fulltime
The file uploaded is a GPX file inside a ZIP file. Double click on the ZIP file and you should see a file of the same name but with a GPX extension. I exported it from BaseCamp and was able to import it into Streets and Trips 2013. When you see the GPX file you can copy it to a different folder then take a GPS file such as S&T or BaseCamp and do an import.

This is a list of places I have stayed at with my Bighorn which is 38ft. Some but few are places I have on my bucket list to stay at. I am not saying all are fantastic places but just that I have stayed there or have looked one up and would like to go there. I have tried to make sure each pin is located where you want to go to arrive at the campground. You can contact me and I can show you some photos. What I have been doing is when someone wants to look at a certain campground I upload photos to my Photobucket account BCCampgrounds . I don't have the time to upload all the photos I have at one time but will do so a little bit at a time.

If you bring up a campground in BaseCamp you can click on a campground POI, right click for a list then click on Show on Map. Then go to View on the tool bar and select Google Earth and Selected Items. This will bring up Google Earth and you can view the campground from the Satellite View. In S&T you can drill down to the POI of a campground then select the "b" on the tool bar for MS Bing to see the campground.

The GPX file should work on any GPS application even for the Mac. You might be able to use it in Google Earth map which does work with some GPS applications also

Hope this is interesting to some.

BC

porthole

Retired
Hey Bob - I can't really use this yet.

But, I can download the file using firefox on a Win XP PC.
I can unzip the file using Winzip, but windows built in functions should work fine

I can open the file even though I have no GPS devices or mapping software that supports the file extension.

I can use "ITN Converter" to look at the file and then export it to Streets & Trips and view the file . I am using S&T 2005

With ITN I can see all the place nemaes and GPS coordinates.

ITN converter
http://www.benichou-software.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4&Itemid=2&lang=en

So I was able to inport the file into my antique version of streets & trips. It automatically loads as a route and after a bit of time of processing I came up a short route of:

336,000 miles
345 days, 8hours and 56 minutes :rolleyes:
This was after adjusting the parameters to a 6am start 9pm stop.

I hit the "optimize stops" button - 30 minutes ago. Will see how long that takes!

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Wow.. Didn't see so many problems. I can load the GPX file into my 2013 S&T with no problem. It does not load as a route but as individual POI's.

I don't have MapSource on this computer to test it. I don't any other mapping programs other than BaseCamp, MapSource and S&T.

Bernie: what application are you trying to load it into. It sounds like you are trying to load it up as an ASCII file.

If you are having a problem loading the GPX file please indicate what applications you are trying to import the file into.. Remember you can't LOAD it or OPEN it.. IMPORT it... This is a standard generic import file for most GPS software.

I am going to try put it into a GDB file and upload it.. GDB file is a application file that can be OPENED in MapSource...

BC

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I downloaded Garmin MapSource, which is no longer being updated but is still good for existing file use. I opened the GPX and a GDP (Garmin Data file) with no problems.

Duane.. You need to get an update of S&T's. Also found out that if you save older S&T files say before 2009 you can't open them in the newer S&T app. I had to install two versions of S&T to open the newer files and an older version for the older files. Many people are griping about this as they like me keep all my old files for seeing where I traveled.

Keep posting your experiences on this thread and see if we can find out how to get around this problem.

BC

happykraut

Bob, when I clicked on your .gpx file, it automatically opened in GSAK. It is a waypoint management app used in geocaching.

porthole

Retired
I hit the "optimize stops" button - 30 minutes ago. Will see how long that takes!

After 5 hours I stopped checking, but I "optimized" the route down to 25,510 miles.
Look pretty neat displayed as a route.

Attachments

• TX_Bobcat_list.jpg
    TX_Bobcat_list.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 35

porthole

Retired
Duane.. You need to get an update of S&T's.

Last time I upgraded was to the 2006 version and I didn't like the changes, so I reverted to 2005 and never looked to update again.

I only use it to to look around, plan, get ideas of travel time and routes etc. For any real trips I take the info gleaned from S&T and manually input into Mapsource, which is the only program, my GPS can use (Garmin 478)

as they like me keep all my old files for seeing where I traveled.

Me too, I have every camp ground we stayed at stored. Although I mostly use Mapsource for that.
Since I can actually download the tracks traveled.
I save each trip route with the main destination and color code the route for the year.
Although harder to see with all the tracks, I can highlight each one easily.

Now, comparing my tracks to yours - we have some catching up to do :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Garmin_tracks.jpg
    Garmin_tracks.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 19

porthole

Retired
Bob, when I clicked on your .gpx file, it automatically opened in GSAK. It is a waypoint management app used in geocaching.

Bernie, if that is not what you want to open it in - right click, slide over to "open with"
If you don't see you desired program slide down to "choose program".