What internet service is best for traveling cross-country?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
It looks like Verizon may be the best way to go. What's the difference between the MYFI 4G and the hotspot, which is $60 per month?

Not totally sure about that. We initially got the 4510L MiFi when we had LG5200 flip phones. Worked well until one of the cats decided it was a good spot to blow lunch all over. Then it didn't work so good (actually not at all). Went and got the 5510L to replace it. Then figured out that our relatively new iPhones could also serve as WiFi hotspots. For long term use, I prefer the 5510L because its internal battery lasts a long time before needing recharging (or you can just plug in the charger and use it). With the iPhone, the battery drains much faster. Not sure if the phone can be used to make calls while it's being used as a hotspot, either.

With two iPhones, the 5510L, and her Verizon mini-iPad (I have her older non-Verizon iPad), we use the Share Everything, Unlimited Talk & Text, 8GB data Plan. Definitely not cheap, but it works for us.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I may be over-simplifying, but I hope this helps....

A hotspot is a generic term, it can mean a device that enables multiple wifi products (phones, computers, tablets, etc) to connect to the internet wirelessly.

Some smartphones can act as a hotspot. Hotspot enabled, it acts as the "hub" for all your wifi products. As mentioned, acting as a hotspot may limit its use as a phone.

MiFi is a trade-name of a device that acts as a hotspot. It stands alone and acts as the "hub" for all your wifi products.

There are also USB Modems, that can plug into a computer and act as the wifi connection to the internet, but they do not act as a hotspot to share that connection.

JanAndBill

We have two Verizon smart phones, both of which can act as a hotspot, and a shared data plan. Don't see the need for paying for an additional device charge when these work fine.

Grey Ghost

We have Verizon and have had pretty good luck with it. Only one time we could not get service for a week while we camped at Priest Gulch campground in Deloris, CO. Nothing worked for anyone there. Could not get satellite (Dish) service either. It was GREAT, just the campfire, friends, wife, dog and myself, had to learn how to converse all over again! Other than that one time, we lost service in the back country in Arizona one time but have camped in Utah, Colorado, California, New Mexico, Montana and Wyoming and have had pretty good service. We like Verizon!

Milton_and_PeggySue

Thanks:) I have a T-Mobile hotspot but it doesn't work well outside the southeast. My only issue with Verizon is expense. I also don't want a contract.

I may be over-simplifying, but I hope this helps....

A hotspot is a generic term, it can mean a device that enables multiple wifi products (phones, computers, tablets, etc) to connect to the internet wirelessly.

Some smartphones can act as a hotspot. Hotspot enabled, it acts as the "hub" for all your wifi products. As mentioned, acting as a hotspot may limit its use as a phone.

MiFi is a trade-name of a device that acts as a hotspot. It stands alone and acts as the "hub" for all your wifi products.

There are also USB Modems, that can plug into a computer and act as the wifi connection to the internet, but they do not act as a hotspot to share that connection.

DocFather

I use Verizon and have great coverage. AT&T seemed non-existent away from Metro areas. A buddy of mine brags about Millenicom: