What internet service is best for traveling cross-country?

Milton_and_PeggySue

We will be traveling across the country later this year and we're trying to figure out to use for internet service. We currently have a T-Mobile hotspot, but it didn't work well last year when we went to Canada. We have Dish satellite but their internet service requires a 2 year contract and wouldn't work well at home. Any ideas?

kowAlski631

We have used wi-fi at campgrounds, but that's usually spotty at best. We use our Verizon hotspots even when we Skype. It's worked well with a couple of exceptions.

Paul & Martha

Life's too short. Live so you can say "Remember when" not "I wish I had".

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have AT&T for our cell phones, so we stuck with them for a mobile hotspot. It has worked well for us.

You could check into a prepaid pay-as-you-go hotspot or USB modem from Verizon or AT&T, which is what we did at first. After a year and seeing how we used it, we determined a plan and a better hotspot device would work better for us. I use ours to mainly to work remotely while we travel. I feel better/more secure with my own network rather than park wifi for business and banking transactions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTPockets

Verizon for me. I used to have AT&T. Verizon has much better data coverage where I've traveled.
Three years using Verizon for phone and data, including trip to Alaska via Canada in 2011. I believe if you move all over like we do Verizon will serve you well.

Milton_and_PeggySue

What about out west, in California, Arizona, South Dakota and such? On the coverage maps, it looks like AT&T has better coverage. Can you get a "pay as you go" plan from AT&T or Verizon?

danemayer

What about out west, in California, Arizona, South Dakota and such? On the coverage maps, it looks like AT&T has better coverage. Can you get a "pay as you go" plan from AT&T or Verizon?
You need to drill down to the lowest possible level for a specific location to understand the real coverage; whether it's Edge, 3G, or 4G/LTE and whether it's from AT&T or from a partner. I've seen a number of situations where AT&T shows coverage but when you zoom all the way in, you find it's really from XYZ company and the data rates are poor. Haven't had that problem with Verizon.

Of course, if you're always in a major metropolitan area, it probably doesn't matter.

marvmarcy

We've used Verizon since before they were Verizon. We spend May -Oct in the west - mostly CO and MT. We have Verizon cell and internet for personal and business service all over the U.S. If we don't get service, usually no one else has service, no matter the server, and we occasionally have service when others don't.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Yes, both AT&T & Verizon have a pay-as-you-go option. Your cost per MB is higher, but if you are not ready for a commitment, this is a good option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I've had Verizon since they were Airtouch Cellular. Coverage for cell phones has always been better than others. For WiFi, I use them via a 5510L MiFi. Been to several places and it's better and more secure than "free WiFi," even in campgrounds.

kowAlski631

We had no issues in our travels in northern Calif, Oregon, Washinton, South Dakota, Montana, etc except in a few areas while driving in Iowa. Can't speak about Arizona yet, but will know this spring!! But you can hit dead zones with any carrier. No complaints & no urges to switch from Verizon.

Paul & Martha

Life's too short. Live so you can say "Remember when" not "I wish I had".

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We use both Verizon and ATT. We travel alot and find some places where one works and the other won't. We have found there is not much difference between Verizon and ATT as far as their Wi-Fi goes (we have both). It all depends on where you are. I use the ATT as a primary and Verizon to supplement when I max out the ATT if both are available. Keep in mind the only one offering unlimited data anymore is T-Mobile and their coverages suck.

happykraut

Verizon MYFI 4G has worked extremely well for me all over the country. I bit pricey at $50 per month, but well worth it to me.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Another one for Verizon for Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, California and southwest BC. We rarely ever have issue with cellular ability but occasionally have some slower 4G and 3G data service in the remote outlying areas.

Rod Ditrich

Lynn1130

Verizon and I can speak for Arizona. With a few exceptions and those are very back country there is good coverage through the state. We switched to Verizon many years back due to lack of coverage with AT&T. Verizon gave us better coverage around the state and in back country while camping.