Accessing the shore power cable to install built in power manager

SeattleLion

If possible, I would like to install a progressive power controller. I need to be able to get behind the power center and have enough room for the controller. Since I have a new model, 3160 EL, it may be hard to find help. Anyone have some thoughts on this? I would love to do it.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
You can pull your breaker panel into the rig and disconnect the lines from the shore cable from the main breaker. Then attach a length of the same gage cable to it and fish the end towards the basement compartment. Connect that line to the output side of the suppressor and the line from the shore cable to the input side. With a long enough section from the panel, you can mount it anywhere convenient. I suggest that it is not under any plumbing lines.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
It's best to do this when the temps are warm. Working with 6ga wire when it's 30degrees is not fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jnbhobe

It's best to do this when the temps are warm. Working with 6ga wire when it's 30degrees is not fun.

Use 6 ga. SO cable Its easy to work with but you still have the 6 ga. entrance cable to work with.

SeattleLion

Thanks for all the help. Years ago I did electrical work. Once had to pull over a thousand feet of 000ga. I agree about keeping it warm. Stupid question: how do you pull the basement wall?

JohnDar

I forget which rig you have (doesn't show on the phone with your name), but the rear panels are normally fastened together in the center with screws and at the outside edges to the side wall framing. There may also be screws I the UDC that hold that end. If you fish around in the black fabric covering, you should be able to find them. Some of us have modified the wall panels to facilitate easier access behind them. If I was on my PC, I'd show my version.

SeattleLion

I forget which rig you have (doesn't show on the phone with your name), but the rear panels are normally fastened together in the center with screws and at the outside edges to the side wall framing. There may also be screws I the UDC that hold that end. If you fish around in the black fabric covering, you should be able to find them. Some of us have modified the wall panels to facilitate easier access behind them. If I was on my PC, I'd show my version.

i have a Bighorn 3160 EL. If you get a chance, please include the pictures.

Thanks

JohnDar

i have a Bighorn 3160 EL. If you get a chance, please include the pictures.

Thanks

This is how I modified my basement walls with removeable panels. The panel and frame is made from 1/2" Baltic Birch plywood. Before cutting the hole in the wall, I cut an X in the black fabric, then folded it back into the opening and stapled it. The frame is larger than the opening, as is the panel, so that it sits against the existing wall panel. Initially, I used rotating strips to hold them in place until I changed them to barrel bolts. One of these days, I might paint the wood black, but it's not a priority. Some folks have made theirs into sliding doors and others have hinged them.

View attachment 28645View attachment 28643View attachment 28644

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We changed ours to sliding. Sooo nice, especially since we have to get in there to turn our winterizing valves.
4e7yqe5y.jpg
ana4u5em.jpg
8u4y8e3e.jpg

SeattleLion

This is how I modified my basement walls with removeable panels. The panel and frame is made from 1/2" Baltic Birch plywood. Before cutting the hole in the wall, I cut an X in the black fabric, then folded it back into the opening and stapled it. The frame is larger than the opening, as is the panel, so that it sits against the existing wall panel. Initially, I used rotating strips to hold them in place until I changed them to barrel bolts. One of these days, I might paint the wood black, but it's not a priority. Some folks have made theirs into sliding doors and others have hinged them.
Thanks for the great pictures. That is a great mod.