Changing my Mobile Internet Service Plan

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
AT&T mobile share data plan (data only) 20gb for $110, + $10 to $20 for each data using device (tablet, laptop, hotspot) that shares.... So still sounds like a deal, Jim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wdk450

Jim:
I think I will follow you on to subscribing with Millennium.

Couple of questions: Can the hotspot device be run from a 12 volt DC source? How big is the hotspot device? I am currently using a USB thumbdrive like device with my laptop, which I carry in my truck cab when travelling, as I do not use a smartphone. This setup helped me locate the nearest tire shop, etc. wen I had a breakdown. I am hoping I can do the same with the hotspot.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Re: Millenicom increases rate by ~29% on 1-May-2014

Got a bit of an ouch today from Millenicom. A nearly 29% increase in my monthly service. So much for saving money :(

Well, that sure put my brakes on. I was all set to do what you did Jim at the end of April. If it for all users I guess I will just bite the Verizon bullet.

travis_g

Jim:
I think I will follow you on to subscribing with Millennium.

Couple of questions: Can the hotspot device be run from a 12 volt DC source? How big is the hotspot device? I am currently using a USB thumbdrive like device with my laptop, which I carry in my truck cab when travelling, as I do not use a smartphone. This setup helped me locate the nearest tire shop, etc. wen I had a breakdown. I am hoping I can do the same with the hotspot.

Yes, the hotspot is USB powered so you can use car adapter.

Dave49

Even with Millenicoms price increase its still the best deal going that I can see with the coverage you get.

wdk450

Millenicom's price increase is currently not reflected on their website. It still says $69.99. False advertising???

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Now I know I'm sticking with my $59.99, 3g unlimited Verizon plan which we are grandfathered into till they pry it from my hands....LOL!!

DocFather

Millenicom's price increase is currently not reflected on their website. It still says $69.99. False advertising???

Absolutely, it is false advertising! After I read the info on the beginning of this thread, I texted my biker friend who has Millenicom and, he, too, got the $20/month increase letter and had already dropped the service.

lindaw

Florida Chapter Leader - Retired
We just got a deal through ATT, Walter upgraded to an IPhone 5 and we get 10 Gb of data including for my IPad and unlimited minutes and text for both, Our phones are both personal wifi hotspots now which we will use when park wifi is no good for $170.00 a month.
LindaW

Toccoatravelers

Steve and I just got the same deal with AT&T it actually cut our monthly bill by $50 and now we have better phones and the hot spot.
Patti L.

Dave49

Its my personal opinion that Verizon has better coverage than any other provider. Just look at the maps for all the carriers and Verizon is read just about everywhere. Millenicom uses Verizon footpath. If you are a traveler you will find that its hard to beat the coverage. I had ATT a couple yrs. ago and all the way through AL I didn't have signal on my phone. Didn't try internet at that time.

Dave

DocFather

Its my personal opinion that Verizon has better coverage than any other provider. Just look at the maps for all the carriers and Verizon is read just about everywhere. Millenicom uses Verizon footpath. If you are a traveler you will find that its hard to beat the coverage. I had ATT a couple yrs. ago and all the way through AL I didn't have signal on my phone. Didn't try internet at that time.

Dave

AT&T is fine in Metro areas but worthless in rural areas. I finally gave up on them last summer (12 years) and switched to Verizon. I should have made the switch 12 years ago.

mobilcastle

Wish I would have seen this thread this AM since I posted about [FONT=Open Sans, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif]Millenicom. It seems it is still the best deal out there for the price. I noticed someone posted about streaming TV. It seems to me that steaming would use up the 20Gib quickly?[/FONT]

danemayer

Wish I would have seen this thread this AM since I posted about Millenicom. It seems it is still the best deal out there for the price. I noticed someone posted about streaming TV. It seems to me that steaming would use up the 20Gib quickly?

Watching cat videos over and over will also use up the 20GB pretty quickly.:p Don't ask how I know.

We have Verizon broadband for $50 plus tax of course. Been with Verizon when it was MCI-no complaints and the broadband is more secure than a campground wifi where anyone can hack into it. We don't want any multiple connection devise because in my opinion there is more room for things to go wrong and when one goes down, so will the rest. Just my opinion, everyone has their favorites so what works best for one doesn't always work best for someone else.

wdk450

So many RV parks that offer WiFi where it is unreliable in certain spots, "down right now (for months), is Tengo and you have to remember an old login/username and then maybe pay, etc. I pay $50 for the 4G Verizon which pretty much works everywhere the competitors wireless companies won't. I have learned to live on 5GB a month.

I have heard that Melinicom is 20 GB a month and rides on Verizon towers. What is the current cost of this service?

wdk450

I just got the Verizon MiFi 2200 with 2 months free unlimited data, and then $100 for a year's unlimited service, as was linked on this forum from Amazon. I wanted to post that I originally (last night) had some problems with disconnects and the power light showing the wrong colors indicating battery and/or charging problems. A little later I noticed I got one of the disconnects when I barely touched the mini-mini USB cable connector on the MiFi. Since all of my Cramolyn Contact cleaner is in the Bighorn at the storage yard, I dipped the cable end connector in a little alcohol, and dripped a drop of alcohol into the MiFi's USB port, then immediately plugged and unplugged the cable 5 times to wipe the contacts. I also took a pencil eraser followed by an alcohol dipped q-tip to the battery contacts. The power/charging light now works correctly, and i have not experienced any more disconnects.