Changing my Mobile Internet Service Plan

porthole

Retired
Maybe time for a "whitepaper" (if there is one I didn't find it)? All things of networking while RV'ing.

Looking at your post and the WiFi ranger - on the page that link directs too is this comment "An indoor WiFi router with LAN and USB accessibility that pairs with an outdoor WiFiRanger solution."

Is something else needed to make this work?

As to the "white paper", I'm referring to a "what is needed" to get the most out of our smart phones, tablets, PC's, maybe even internet TV while we are out and about traveling.

Combos that work with camp WiFi, cell MiFi's - hot spots, maybe even portable sat internet coverage, which isn't that far away anymore. The routers, switches, antennas to make this all work.
All wireless - Cat 5E or Cat 6?
Wireless ac standard?
Not a lot in the 802.ac standard yet, but since my new PC came with the ac technology I updated the house router to a Netgear AC 1900.

Maybe task Matt at the 3G store.

After another weekend with no service I would like to see one of the gurus do up a flexible scenario.
Starting out at the top; e.g. antennas, adapters, network routers etc using either phone capabilities or separate mifi equipment.

mobilcastle

I also went with this service and it has worked very well for me. I have had it a couple of weeks or so with no problems. If your interested you can get this service through Amazon if it is still available.
I just got the Verizon MiFi 2200 with 2 months free unlimited data, and then $100 for a year's unlimited service, as was linked on this forum from Amazon. I wanted to post that I originally (last night) had some problems with disconnects and the power light showing the wrong colors indicating battery and/or charging problems. A little later I noticed I got one of the disconnects when I barely touched the mini-mini USB cable connector on the MiFi. Since all of my Cramolyn Contact cleaner is in the Bighorn at the storage yard, I dipped the cable end connector in a little alcohol, and dripped a drop of alcohol into the MiFi's USB port, then immediately plugged and unplugged the cable 5 times to wipe the contacts. I also took a pencil eraser followed by an alcohol dipped q-tip to the battery contacts. The power/charging light now works correctly, and i have not experienced any more disconnects.

gjschn12

We use Millenicom jetpack you get 20gb for 79.99 per month connect up to 5 devices, works as hotspot for cellphone, they use Verizons towers and we have never been without internet for a year now.

jimtoo

We use Millenicom jetpack you get 20gb for 79.99 per month connect up to 5 devices, works as hotspot for cellphone, they use Verizons towers and we have never been without internet for a year now.

Hi gjschn12,

Welcome to the posting side of the Heartland Owners Forum. Thanks for the information.

Jim M

mobilcastle

UPDATE:
don't use the Internet connection I set up from AMAZON. QUIT after 3 months and could not refill it. I switch to Millenicom. Quick service and working well but not cheap. 20 Gig program.

Mizmary

How "not cheap?" If you can't post prices, we would love to know. We may eventually running into a similar problem. How is the speed? Reliability? Sigh.

mobilcastle

Plan is $89.99 per month and setup is about $250.00. Speed is excellent. I had researched them some time ago and they were my first choice until I ran into the deal at Amazon. Here is the link http://millenicom.com/plans/
How "not cheap?" If you can't post prices, we would love to know. We may eventually running into a similar problem. How is the speed? Reliability? Sigh.

wdk450

UPDATE:
don't use the Internet connection I set up from AMAZON. QUIT after 3 months and could not refill it. I switch to Millenicom. Quick service and working well but not cheap. 20 Gig program.

I have had little time online and a LOT of time with the non-functioning devices on this Amazon vendor's MiFi2200 hotspot. I bought a used one first, and it had connector problems, then returned it with about $60 to get a new one; the new one has a phone # registered to a cellphone, NOT A HOTSPOT; Verizon said that they have no $10 a month unlimited data plan, and since the device and the phone # do not match, they won't do anything for me. The vendor e-mailed me back and forth about 15 times, got me the replacement unit (that was tied to a BEST BUY Network), but now has stopped answering e-mails. I figure I am now out $180 and plan to complain to Amazon about the vendor and his false listing. I hope everyone else who bought this complains too.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
The 3g Store also offers a Millenicom package and will allow you to use your own compatible device if you have one....saves having to buy a new unit.

wdk450

I did complain to Amazon- did no good. Good luck

I filed an official claim saying that the device didn't work most of the time, and Verizon denies the rate of $10 a month for unlimited data - The main reason I bought this.
Definitely false advertising. We'll see what happens. Also, I had an ongoing e-mail dialogue going with the vendor and all of the sudden he stopped responding.

porthole

Retired
I filed an official claim saying that the device didn't work most of the time, and Verizon denies the rate of $10 a month for unlimited data - The main reason I bought this.
Definitely false advertising. We'll see what happens. Also, I had an ongoing e-mail dialogue going with the vendor and all of the sudden he stopped responding.

I use Amazon a lot. Any on going dialogue I ever had with items that were defective or did not meet claims were limited to maybe one message.
Just go right to Amazon, package up your item, print out the pre-paid UPS ticket and the next day it is picked up.

Amazon is very good and then they go after the vendors.

I most recently did this with batteries. Ordered 10 Energizer batteries for the TPMS for 9.95 shipped. What I got was 10 no name batteries.
UPS shipping alone was probably 10 times what the batteries are worth, maybe next time the vendor will send what they advertise.

mobilcastle

I spend quite a bit of money at Amazon each
Year - their feeling was it was outside 30 days. It is interesting since they returned something for me that was over 6 months old. I have very few returns. Maybe their policy is changing. Mine work fine until third month. My feeling is millenicom wood have cost me $270 for three months and this cost was $150 so no loss here.

wdk450

I found somebody else with the MiFi 2200, advertising the $10 a month unlimited 3G plan on E-Bay. He seems to have a good seller rating, but I don't want to be out another $190. Is anyone here using this plan sucessfully?

I got on the "My Amazon page, went to "Past Orders", and there was a click for "Make a Claim", and although I got my first (used) hotspot in April, it said I had until August 10th to make a claim, so I did. I guess I will hear something after the holiday. But I will say that the "first 3 months free" part of the deal keeps you from calling Verizon and finding out that you can't get the advertised data plan until the normal Amazon return time has expired.

wdk450

Re: Amazon MiFi 2200 Unlimited Data, $10 a month deal:

My Amazon claim was denied, the vendor took my device back, hasn't returned it, and doesn't answer e-mails.

I looked on Amazon today, and found another offer from another vendor for the same thing. I found this in the reviews section on that sale:

"1.0 out of 5 stars BE CAREFUL! Item misrepresented; seller won't answer; returning mine, June 16, 2014
By
Allen Gwinn - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)

Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Verizon Wireless Mifi 2200 Unlimited 3g Prepaid $10 a Month Mobile Wifi Hotspot Modem Data
Did a little research. These are called "flashed" MiFi's. What the seller does is go to Walmart and buy a prepaid Verizon phone (in my case a Samsung Gusto). Then they use special software to clone the ESN and other information from the prepaid phone onto the MiFi 2200 so it looks like some random cell phone. When I received mine, it came with a big "NO YOUTUBE, NO STREAMING VIDEO" warning--which means it's not truly unlimited data. Further, there is no $100 a year deal. You end up paying .99 cents per day for "wireless web" each day you turn the thing on.

The BIG catch is that Verizon is looking for people using flashed MiFi's and disabling their accounts--which renders these things useless. At some point you have to ask the question: "why is there no full disclosure" when you buy one of these? The answer may well be obvious. "

This reflashing from a Samsung phone was EXACTLY how my hotspot was set up. So, I guess I am out $180 to a scam.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Re: Millenicom increases rate by ~29% on 1-May-2014

Jim, can you give us a update on how the Millenicom is working out for you?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
My Verizon 5510 MiFi, purchased from Verizon, works
just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
John, we also use Verizon with a mifi. And we just got into a new contract a few months back. But using the 20 gig plan is very expensive.