Thinking of going to the dark side - iOS to Android cell phone - your experience...

dave10a

I guess everyone has their opinions :) which are not necessarily based on facts. Linux is not Apple and Apple in not Linux. I have developed software using Linux and I don't recall running into Apple. Linux is open source while Apple is closed source. The Apple folks claim they are protecting against abuse, but in reality they are simply protecting their profits. It is not easy to port applications to Apple because of its licensing and proprietary nature. They do that to protect profits not customers. Linux on the other hand is the "child of the Internet" which has a large following and application because of its open source nature. To me Android is the most efficient operating system that now equals Apple in applications. Apple is now rethinking its business strategy thanks to Android.

danemayer

I guess everyone has their opinions :) which are not necessarily based on facts. Linux is not Apple and Apple in not Linux. I have developed software using Linux and I don't recall running into Apple. Linux is open source while Apple is closed source. The Apple folks claim they are protecting against abuse, but in reality they are simply protecting their profits. It is not easy to port applications to Apple because of its licensing and proprietary nature. They do that to protect profits not customers. Linux on the other hand is the "child of the Internet" which has a large following and application because of its open source nature. To me Android is the most efficient operating system that now equals Apple in applications. Apple is now rethinking its business strategy thanks to Android.

Are you familiar with UNIX or just Linux? UNIX is the industrial strength OS that Linus Torvald emulated when he developed Linux. Apple OS is Apple libraries on a UNIX base.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

dave10a

I thought we we talking about iphone vs android. Yes Apple adopted Mklinx in the 90's which was the kernal for their Power Box. I learned Unix and Xwindows in College so I don't think I am too confused. Unix and Linux are very close to each other. The reason Linux is more powerful is that its Kernal was compiled using assembly/machine language rather that C or C++. That increases the speed of the operating system by a factor of up to 10. These days I don't consider Unix as more industrial strength. In fact most backbone Internet routers are using Linux engines because of it speed and stability. Also, if I were programming using Unix or Linux, I would choose Linux because it has become more robust because of the many contributions the "unwashed" programmers have made over the past years.
Getting back to the main discussion-- Android software is more efficient than the Iphone software. However, as a normal user, I doubt one would experience much difference between the two. I like Android also because they have a better business attitude and offer more "bang for the buck". It lack of applications have been over come thanks to Samsung and others.

If one thinks Linux is inferior to Unix and lacks industrial strength, one should read this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux

If one wants to improve their Iphone and remove the Apple restrictions http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_jailbreaking

Last edited:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I thought we we talking about iphone vs android. Yes Apple adopted Mklinx in the 90's which was the kernal for their Power Box. I learned Unix and Xwindows in College so I don't think I am too confused. Unix and Linux are very close to each other. The reason Linux is more powerful is that its Kernal was compiled using assembly/machine language rather that C or C++. That increases the speed of the operating system by a factor of up to 10. These days I don't consider Unix as more industrial strength. In fact most backbone Internet routers are using Linux engines because of it speed and stability. Also, if I were programming using Unix or Linux, I would choose Linux because it has become more robust because of the many contributions the "unwashed" programmers have made over the past years.
Getting back to the main discussion-- Android software is more efficient than the Iphone software. However, as a normal user, I doubt one would experience much difference between the two. I like Android also because they have a better business attitude and offer more "bang for the buck". It lack of applications have been over come thanks to Samsung and others.

If one thinks Linux is inferior to Unix and lacks industrial strength, one should read this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux

If one wants to improve their Iphone and remove the Apple restrictions http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_jailbreaking

Whew!! All that tech talk makes my head spin :)

mobilcastle

I went to the dark side and I am very happy. I retired my 4s. Soon I will sell it on ebay.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Seren

-- Android software is more efficient than the Iphone software. However, as a normal user, I doubt one would experience much difference between the two. I like Android also because they have a better business attitude and offer more "bang for the buck".

I have to disagree with this statement. One of the things that Apple does well is require apps to manage memory usage well. Andoid apps are only as good as the programmer and since there are a lot of inexperienced programmers writing apps for Androids their app may work, but tend to be very inefficient in handling memory, which results in slowdowns or even lockups on an Android phone, something that very rarely if even happens with an Apple.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD