120 volt 15 amp shore power

ADIRKS30

Hi
My wife's family is coming for an extended weekend and we are going to have them stay in the 5th. We want to have it in our driveway so no 30 or 50 amp power. Am planning to use the adapter that came with 5er to plug into garage outlet. Will this work to run furnace fan and lights? Or will we need to use generator?

jnbhobe

You should be ok just running the furnace and lights. A coffee pot or microwave may be too much along with the electric hot water tank.

danemayer

Hi ADIRKS30,

The furnace and most interior lights run off 12V/Battery. The water heater can also run on LP with a little consumption of 12V DC power. So when you plug into your 15amp outlet, all it has to do is keep the Power Converter running to supply 12V to the fusebox and to charge the battery. Should be no problem.

Don't try to run the refrigerator or water heater on AC. You should be able to run them on LP if desired.

Don't try running the microwave - may work but could trip the breaker depending on how much of the 15 amps the Power Converter is drawing at the same time.

There's a good chance you could run the television.

Make sure the adapter and any extension cord are properly grounded. An ungrounded power source can be very dangerous in an RV.

ADIRKS30

Ok, thanks for the help. We will be running all we can on lp. Just have to have power to run furnace fan and some lights. Will fire up the generator if more than that

swburbguy

Depending on the distance from the trailer to the garage recpt. use a big enough cord not a 16/3 but a 14/3 or 12/3 for voltage drop.

pegmikef

How old is your house? Have you actually measured the amperage because a lot of the newer houses (last 20 years or so) are wired with 12/2 with ground and use 20 amp circuits. My home shore power is 20 amp and I can run one of the air conditioners in the summer and the fireplace in the winter, plus the furnace, fridge, TV and a second heater (both the heater and fireplace are set at 750w). I use a 12/2 with ground extension cord. I can run the microwave, but have to turn off the heater and fireplace or A/C to do so.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I use the coach cord with adapters plugged directly to house current at my garage. Did test to confirm current. Have stayed in the BH during cold weather. We were able to run these 120v appliances simultaneously with no issues-fireplace, tv, DVD player, ceiling fan. As previous post states current wiring to code 12/2 and 20 amp breaker. Since I have a big enough sub panel in the garage I plan to install a 50 amp rv outlet this summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ADIRKS30

How old is your house? Have you actually measured the amperage because a lot of the newer houses (last 20 years or so) are wired with 12/2 with ground and use 20 amp circuits. My home shore power is 20 amp and I can run one of the air conditioners in the summer and the fireplace in the winter, plus the furnace, fridge, TV and a second heater (both the heater and fireplace are set at 750w). I use a 12/2 with ground extension cord. I can run the microwave, but have to turn off the heater and fireplace or A/C to do so.

I have an old house. My 5er cost more than my house....;) ;) I work on the road and get paid by the boss for my camper. I wish my panel had enough room for 50 amp.

I have a garage outlet with gfi so should be protected there somewhat, long as it don't trip in the middle of the night but guess furnace would probably run a little while on battery.

Manzan

Hair dryers are another thing that does a good job of tripping circuit breakers if anything else power hungry is being used. At home, we plug into a 20 amp circuit and can run the AC without problems but don't have anything else on except maybe the refrigerator. Have never blown the circuit breaker. I do have a heavy 50' extension cord that I have to use. Don't remember if it is 14/3 or 12/3. I had a 25' extension but it is no longer 25' long. Don't ask.