Did you buy your RV new? Are your batteries connected in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors?

jbeletti

The reason I post this is that in at least one of my new RVs, I later found that the batteries in one of my ceiling mounted safety detectors were not connected.

By that, I mean that there were paper/plastic tabs that needed to be pulled in order to allow the battery connection to be made. In my case, with demo coaches, my units do not get dealer PDI'd. My hope is that dealers activate and test these safety items.

If you have never tested your RV smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, please do it this week.

guyc66

My detectors were the same way when the dealer delivered our unit.....had to pull the tabs to let the batteries make contact.

priorguy

My unit was used. Tested by positioning toaster on breakfast bar that happens to be underneath the detector. I may switch to a standard household battery operated detector for ease of replacement. (9V battery)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
My unit was used. Tested by positioning toaster on breakfast bar that happens to be underneath the detector. I may switch to a standard household battery operated detector for ease of replacement. (9V battery)

DW tested ours last summer by using the aforementioned toaster method. It seems to work every time. :eek:

Mrsfish

Our proven method is bacon. Works every time:) but seriously, thanks for the very serious reminder to test as most of us begin our rving season.

Westwind

Mine were functioning when we picked up our FW in 2011, had to replace batteries twice in them already and yes this morning I had to take the kitchen/hallway one down to shut it up. Didn't like to sausage cooking on the stove or maybe it did an was it's way of saying "I want some".

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
My Rig was used - and I test my detectors every spring after replacing the Batteries on all of them - I have smoke in a can for smoke detector and at one point had a can of CO to test the CO detectors ( can not find that anymore ), and have been looking for a Propane Analog to test that detector but have not been able to find that either. I really do not want to use real LP for obvious reasons. I have had one LP detector go bad on me and I had to replace in my SOB so I am a bit sensitive to testing all my detectors. I like waking up in the morning

I personally would like all of the detectors to run off of the 12 volt system in the campers... that way they never need to have the batteries changed - I think that is one thing that a lot of people fail to do...

priorguy

Just use an unlit propane torch. That way you can direct a small amount of LP gas right into the detector with little hazard.

Last edited by a moderator:

OBX_Raineys

Be careful using a direct infusion of LP into the detector. Trace amounts should work fine. A too rich mixture may harm the sensor.

TXTiger

I just put new batteries in mine last week. Didn't test them. Guess I should cook something and see what happens!!!!

stevenssr

Thanks for the reminder Jim! Like many people, running the propane heater for the first time tested mine initially. But I'm coming up on a year and I know it sat in the lot quite a while. Time to check. Thanks!