Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Early symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning

1. Print this Post   #11
    Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired NWILSON's Avatar

Re: Early symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning

I realize this may be a stretch but could a class A seal up enough that a stove burner or oven burn long enough to create enough CO and CO2 to snuff out the fire? The news article said the folks hadn't been heard from in a couple days.
    My wondering is if they expired from the CO but the Propane odor was from the flame being choked out later
    Neale & Leslie

"Do you remember what this switch does?"

2012 Dodge 3500 Laramie diesel dually

B&W Companion 5th wheel hitch
    Mor/ryde pinbox
    Firestone Ride Rite airbags

2017 Cyclone 4150

2011 Harley ElectraGlide Ultra Classic
    2002 ClubCar DS gas golf cart

2. Print this Post   #12
    Heartland: Director of Owners Interests jbeletti's Avatar

While the deaths in Nashville are sad, and regardless of the true cause of death, I believe every comment here has been productive as it gets us all talking about these safety devices in our RVs and the need to test them regularly. I'll admit to rarely testing mine. But I did yesterday.

The LP gas leak cause of death theory discussed here may be spot on - or not. But my takeaway from that: Go test your LP Gas detector. I didn't test mine yesterday when I tested my smoke and co detectors. So - this has been added to my to do list today.

Let's keep this conversation going so it stays in the What's New for a while. I've yet to check the other thread I started about testing - hoping for lively chat there too.

Duane and John - I appreciate your comments here as you guys have specialized training in this area. We can all benefit from your knowledge. Thank you for sharing.
    Jim Beletti
    Director of Owner Interests
    Heartland RVs

Index of my Sundance 262 RB Modifications

Club membership is free and it's easy to join. Click here to learn more

Check out our Owner-written User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides

3. Print this Post   #13
    Prolifically Gabby Member JohnDar's Avatar

You can remove the LP Detector from the wall and check the date of manufacture on it. Most detectors have a useful life of 5 - 7 years from that date, not the installed date. But there is no guarantee on that 5 years, either. The butane lighter test is a good one, as is having a portable gas detector in your tool kit, like the one sold by Lorest.

As to what happened to the couple in the MH, insufficient information.
    Camp Gotchurwallett
    John & Darlene (with feline fuzzbutts Ally, Merlin & Mickey)
    Max the Cat - RIP
    2009 GMC 3500HD SLT CC D/A DRW
    2009 Bighorn 3670RL

H.O.C. #1225

4. Print this Post   #14
    South Central Region Director, HOC jayc's Avatar

This would be something else to add to the checklist for folks buying a used trailer. Some of the detectors are battery powered, others are hard wired. Easy to check before buying.
    Driver-Jay
    Navigator and Director of Operations-Stella
    Cassie-Schnauzer (RIP 5/21/15)
    Tramp-Jack Russell/Chihuahua
    Lady-Chihuahua
    2018 Landmark Oshkosh

Heartland Owner's Club #1017
    Full-time since 11-21-08

The rallies we have attended are now in an album on this forum.

5. Print this Post   #15

Quote Originally Posted by jbeletti View Post

The LP gas leak cause of death theory discussed here may be spot on - or not. But my takeaway from that: Go test your LP Gas detector. I didn't test mine yesterday when I tested my smoke and co detectors. So - this has been added to my to do list today.
    Jim, exactly my point for mentioning that CO is not the only hazard we face in these confined spaces. All detectors are there for a purpose and it is just as important to check/maintain as the other critical areas of our coaches.
    Lou and Bette - R.I.P. Milo (the Maltese) we will miss him
    2013 F450
    (2011 Road Warrior 405rw - traded in)
    2015 Big Horn 3570RS
    (2009 Ultra Red Hot Sunglow/Dusky Gold - traded in)
    2015 Street Glide Superior Blue

6. Print this Post   #16
    Heartland: Director of Owners Interests jbeletti's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lou_and_Bette View Post
    Jim, exactly my point for mentioning that CO is not the only hazard we face in these confined spaces. All detectors are there for a purpose and it is just as important to check/maintain as the other critical areas of our coaches.
    Lou - I think at many of our rallies this year, we should at minimum, ask attendees the question "When was the last time you tested your RV's Smoke, CO and LPG detectors". No show of hands, just a reminder in the form of a question. Then ask it again the next day and ask who found a failure and/or dead batteries - if anyone cares to share. Just to help make the point to everyone there - not to single the brave one out.

Good stuff my friends.
    Jim Beletti
    Director of Owner Interests
    Heartland RVs

Index of my Sundance 262 RB Modifications

Club membership is free and it's easy to join. Click here to learn more

Check out our Owner-written User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides

7. Print this Post   #17

JB, you have the Nest product in the LM, correct?
    Duane & Debbie with Regis & Baylee
    RIP camping buddies Cagney, Misty, my Molly & Gungy
    2011 F-350 DRW

Rallies & campouts:
    2012 - 7
    2013 - 8
    2014 - 9
    2015 - 8
    2016 - 8
    2017 - 9
    2018 - 8 so far

Mods
    --- Topic index --- TST TPMS --- SAT TV --- Onan issues --- Hensley TS-3 :-( --- Ramp failure

8. Print this Post   #18

I want to add another important safety point to this discussion: being aware of what is happening around you and taking action. This past weekend at the Florida Rally, Jack and I were walking back to our rig after potluck dinner. I Heard an alarm going off in the vicinity of our BH, not ear piercing becuz Jack couldn't hear it except at close range, but it was high pitched and steady beep. Discovered it coming from the interior rear of Big Horn backed up to ours. Went back to Rally Hall and alerted owner that he had an alarm sounding. He found a stove knob had apparently been turned on without lighting the burner when his wife was trying to light their oven earlier in the day. There were no windows open and a strong smell of "burnt cabbage".

There is always possibility of an explosion in this situation that could involve everything in vicinity including human and animal lives. We should also emphasize being aware, taking action, and knowing what to do when propane is involved.
    Judi & Jack Barnett - ANYTIMERS!
    Pepper & Lilah - faithful feline companions (Waldo R.I.P.)
    Williamsburg, VA - hometown
    2011 BigHorn 3610RE, Trailair tri-glide pinbox, JT stabilizers, Titan disc brakes
    2007 Dodge Ram
    3500 Duallie
    , 6.7 Cummins diesel, tow package,
    Edge programmer, Prodigy brake controller, B&W hitch

9. Print this Post   #19
    Original Owners Club Member jmgratz's Avatar

While on the subject of safety and testing, when was the last time you tested (by operating) your emergency exits in your coach? Have you ever had a fire drill? Have you ever tried getting up in the middle of the night and tried opening the emergency exits in the dark. These questions were asked by "Mac the fire guy" at a seminar. I went back an test ours so I would know how to operate them.

BTW my CO detector is located on a slideout wall beside the theater seating. In order to test it I have to move the theater seat out. What a PITA. What engineer thought about this placement?
    Jim & Sheila Gratz - owners club #1018 Workamping as Sales Associate with SE Publications Certified RV Walk-through Technician [/I] 2013 Landmark San Antonio - full body paint - Fulltimer pkg, Yetti pkg etc., Mor-Ryde IS with never lube bearings and disc brakes. --previous 5er - 2007 "Classic" Landmark "Golden Gate" Replaced 9/20/13 2012 Ford F350 King Ranch Crew Cab fx4 dually, 6.7 L Husky Trailer Saver TS2 hitch "visit TEXAS - it's like a whole 'nuther country" Rally Site 414

10. Print this Post   #20

I doubt the effectiveness of these life saving alarms. I would ask ANYONE on the forum who has had the LP alarm or the Carbon Monoxide alarm ring for a TRUE gas in the atmosphere situation to report this on this thread.

When my rig was new, I had a propane leak in my kitchen area and the propane alarm never rang. I think I have heard similar stories from other forum posters with noticeable (by smell) propane leaks.

Are there test gas spray cans to TRULY test these alarms??? Just pushing the alarm "test" button just tests the alarm sounder circuit and NOT the gas detectors. In the hospital I retired from, smoke detectors were tested on a schedule with a test gas.

Maybe prevention is right up there with alarm testing. I have a generator in my truck, keep the truck away from the trailer when using the generator, but have only used the generator about 5 times in 4 years. I now do most of my cooking and space heating with electricity (induction cooktop and electric space heater). My flexible propane supply hose to my kitchen slide is re-enforced against road hazard debris with thick, webbed PVC tubing.

On the fire safety front, I have installed a self-deploying Halon fire extinguisher in my refrigerator external compartment; have equipped my bedroom window with a fire escape ladder, window hold-open prop and window lower edge pillow; bought a much larger fire extinguisher for the entrance door, and moved the original extinguisher to next to the stovetop.
    Bill Knight KJ6TBE
    Retired 40 Year Hospital Biomedical Electronics Technician
    Former State Chairman (2000) California Medical Instrumentation Association (CMIA)
    2008 Bighorn 3670RL
    My Bighorn Upgrades
    See:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

2004 Dodge RAM 3500 Cummins 5.9
    B-D Exhaust Brake
    Ride Rite Air Bags
    Valvoline 15-40 High Mileage Diesel Oil
    XDP Diesel Power Plus Fuel Additive

At a Thousand Trails in Southern California

21 Heartland Rallies I Have Attended
    See: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_PRxlhCp1l7IXgiVIBJmCtX3viJ9NaykR8_b81W9CVU/edit?usp=sharing

Thousand Trails Elite Membership

Support this Forum! Join the Heartland Owners Club at the "Owners Club" Tab at the top of this Page!!!
    Remember The USS Liberty . . . Read: http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig/margolis12.html
    "The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2