Extended Warranty called Portfolio Protection - Help

My husband and I purchased a 2012 Heartland Bighorn from a dealer and they are offering to us a 4 yr Extended Service Contract called Portfolio Protection. The cost of this plan is $1895 and covers serveral items, such as the Refrig, Air Conditioning, Frame, Heating, Brakes... etc We are wondering if anyone else has this type coverage on their RV and is it worth the money? Any help would be appreciated... Thank you, Linda & Steve

danemayer

Hi kellison57,

The fine print is the #1 issue with service contracts. There can be all kinds of subtle restrictions and exclusions. Also, companies come and go. If the company collects a bunch of money by selling "too good to be true" contracts, they can just pay their employees exorbitant salaries and then go out of business when the money's gone. And some contracts are limiting in where you can go for service and in the prior approval procedures. And deductibles can often render the coverage less useful.

An alternative might be 1 year of coverage from Good Sam. That would cover most of your appliances during your 1st year of ownership in case there are undisclosed problems.

Hi Dan & Ann,

Yes... my husband and I were just talking about Good Sam's. They are A+ rated company which I just found out that Protfolio Protection is only a B rated company and they have had several bad reviews on the auto side. I can't find any reviews regarding RV's... so this makes us uneasy about their service. We have to make a decision soon our BH is going to be here sometime in the next 2 weeks. Thank you for your response... Happy Memorial Day! Linda & Steve

GOTTOYS

A four year service contract on a new trailer is really only a three year service contract because the trailer has a factory warranty the first year. Read the fine print they don't cover what they want you to think they cover...There are few things that $1895.00 wouldn't fix, if they ever go wrong. Would you be willing to trust your health insurance to a company you never heard of? Service contracts are pure profit for the dealer. They seldom give back what they cost. Many go out of business and take your money with them...If you MUST have one look no farther than Good Sam..Don