My MCD Shades Factory Installation Experience

pegmikef

We just had all ten of the so-called day night shades in our Big Horn replaced with MCD American Duo day and night shades at the factory. We are so pleased with this that I thought I would quickly describe our experience with the process.

First, about three weeks in advance, I made a reservation (they want you to arrive on Sunday). Then the Friday before your arrival date MCD will assign you a numbered site. All sites have a fifty amp (NO thirty amp) electrical hookup, but no water or sewage so you need fresh water and empty waste tanks.

Overall, for us, it took just four days before we were on our way with new shades. Sunday morning we arrived about 11 AM and backed into our site. The sites are wide enough to easily accommodate sliders and awnings.. Notice in the picture (site2) that I am backed into the grassy side. I requested this because the west sun is on the driver’s side.

Early Monday morning, two MCD techs arrived with paper and tapes in hand. They discussed with us our options to help with the decision process and measured and documented everything we discussed. The picture shows the shades we replaced. Notice in picture "before" that the light protrudes through the night shade and you can not see anything through the day shade.

At about 11 AM I was called to the office to go over everything. We tweaked it a little bit and then I paid them. They want the payment for the product up front. The cost is exactly the same as if you ordered them for shipment to you less the shipping costs. The installation costs are invoiced once the job is completed.

Tuesday they gave all of the customers a guided tour of the factory which was quite impressive. Much of it is automated, but there is still a lot of hand work needed. We were told that ninety percent of the materials are American made and by the end of the year all materials will be American made.

Late afternoon Wednesday, the same two techs came knocking with a cart full of shades and by quitting time they had installed eight of the ten shades. I learned it is beneficial to have a fiver amongst the motor homes because there is no windshield and they tend to do the easiest first.

To cap off the day one of my SOB neighbors graciously hosted a mini-cookout/pot luck and as you can see in the pictures potluck1 and potluck2, it was yummy.

At eight ten Thursday morning one of the techs came and told me the motorized rear window shade would be ready in a few minutes and he would be back. True to his word, he was back in a few minutes and installed the remaining two shades (really four because the day and night shades are separate, but in the same bracket). After giving everything a final test, we were done. Note that in the picture "after" the new night shade allows no light to protrude and the day shades allow you to view outside while blocking the uv rays.

This whole operation was very pleasant and professional and by 11 AM we were on our way to Coffee Creek in Santo, Texas. PM me if you have any questions or would like to know the labor costs.

Attachments

• site1.JPG
    site1.JPG
    172.4 KB · Views: 264
  • site2.JPG
    site2.JPG
    272.6 KB · Views: 243
  • before.JPG
    before.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 243
  • potluck1.JPG
    potluck1.JPG
    231.5 KB · Views: 237
  • potluck2.jpg
    potluck2.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 227
  • after.JPG
    after.JPG
    170.3 KB · Views: 248

diamondl

I saw many initials in your verbage that I didn't understand, but I'm sort of used to that. My 2 main questions are how much did they cost and where did you go to have them installed? Thanks for your time.
diamondl

pegmikef

I saw many initials in your verbage that I didn't understand, but I'm sort of used to that. My 2 main questions are how much did they cost and where did you go to have them installed? Thanks for your time.
diamondl

Sorry about the abbreviations. I just went through it and found three.

MCD = Motor Coach Design and is the name of the company (MCD Innovations) that manufactures the shades.

SOB = Some other brand and is a term used to describe the rigs of nonHeartland product owners.

PM = Private Message a short hand meaning send me a private message (in this case if you are interested in the specific costs).

The cost of the shades is exactly the same as is specified on the MCDInnovations.com website and is a variable based on the type and combination of shades you have installed and the number and size of your windows. PM me if you are interested in the particulars.

The factory is located at McKinney, TX, but their website lists all the dealers that are also capable of ordering and installing the shades. Also, many owners do their own measuring and order and install the shades themselves. I just wanted to treat myself.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
MCD Innovations is a great company to deal with. We ordered our shades in Elkhart, picked them up in McKinney, TX and then did a self install. Installation is not hard just time consuming. Great product.

Bohemian

I am glad you are all so happy with MCD and their shades. However, I don't understand why you want them or how they are better than the convention RV dual shades. No, really, I am clueless. I have always had trouble with roller shades as they always seem to eventually fail and/or fall out of the mount.

So!!!!!! I would appreciate an education. I really would.
Thanks

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I am glad you are all so happy with MCD and their shades. However, I don't understand why you want them or how they are better than the convention RV dual shades. No, really, I am clueless. I have always had trouble with roller shades as they always seem to eventually fail and/or fall out of the mount.

Thanks

The pleated day/night shades are junk IMHO. The strings on two broke within 4 months and there is a constant adjustment to keep them tight enough to remain up. The MCD shades are held in place with a clip which I mounted to the underside of the valace. The shades are spring loaded but are easily adjusted by rotating the adjustment knob on the end of the roller. The operate smoothly and are well made. Not only that but the day shades you can see through and they block out the heat and UV rays. The pleated day night shades you cannot see through the day shade. Maybe there is a reason the high dollar motor homes use MCD shades. The MCD shades can be gotten in the manual or motorized versions.

pegmikef

Thanks

. . . and to pick up where Jim left off. The night shades are just that . . . they allow no light at all to penetrate the shade. I am one that needs complete darkness to sleep well. Frankly, I could never really tell the difference between the day night shade. If you are a day time TV watcher, with the so called pleated night shades down you still got a reflection on the screen if viewing at a slight angle. There is NO reflection with these night shades. I noticed an immediate reduction in the heat from the west when the tech installed the shades on the window and lowered the day shade.

These are not like the old timey shades you remember as a kid with the string and little ring at the end of it and when you pulled it and tried to make it stay in place it would suddenly snap all the way up . . . or you would try to make it go up and it wouldn't . . . and after the sun beat on them for a couple of years they would get brittle and tear easily. Completely different.

They gave us a factory tour. The tubes on these are metal (aluminum I think), not wooden like the others and are mounted in a very sturdy frame. Every shade is individually tested before it leaves the factory and in our case tested again when the techs installed them. The motorized ones (I put one on the rear window) are easily calibrated so the upper and lower limits can be set so they will automatically stop at the preset positions. They can also be stopped with the remote at any desired position. You can really tell that they are a quality product when you open or close one (especially if you have experience with the old timey ones).

The factory tour included a briefing in which they pointed out that all Winnebagos now leave the factory with MCD Shades.

I hope Jim and I have given you some insight

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
On the new Landmark at the National Rally, all the shades now have what Andy called "privacy valances". Not sure valance is the correct term, seem to recall some other weird name for the vertical trim on the windows.

Anyway, the windows are trimmed so that the sides of the shades are in a U-shaped trim piece, so as to not allow the space between the shade and the coach to be visible from the outside (looking in)

pegmikef

Anyway, the windows are trimmed so that the sides of the shades are in a U-shaped trim piece, so as to not allow the space between the shade and the coach to be visible from the outside (looking in)

Yeah, I gotta make those for the hall and bedroom windows to hide the edges of the shades. All the other windows already had them and they really make a difference in appearance.

Bohemian

. . . and to pick up where Jim left off. The night shades are just that . . . they allow no light at all to penetrate the shade. I am one that needs complete darkness to sleep well. Frankly, I could never really tell the difference between the day night shade. If you are a day time TV watcher, with the so called pleated night shades down you still got a reflection on the screen if viewing at a slight angle. There is NO reflection with these night shades. I noticed an immediate reduction in the heat from the west when the tech installed the shades on the window and lowered the day shade.

These are not like the old timey shades you remember as a kid with the string and little ring at the end of it and when you pulled it and tried to make it stay in place it would suddenly snap all the way up . . . or you would try to make it go up and it wouldn't . . . and after the sun beat on them for a couple of years they would get brittle and tear easily. Completely different.

They gave us a factory tour. The tubes on these are metal (aluminum I think), not wooden like the others and are mounted in a very sturdy frame. Every shade is individually tested before it leaves the factory and in our case tested again when the techs installed them. The motorized ones (I put one on the rear window) are easily calibrated so the upper and lower limits can be set so they will automatically stop at the preset positions. They can also be stopped with the remote at any desired position. You can really tell that they are a quality product when you open or close one (especially if you have experience with the old timey ones).

The factory tour included a briefing in which they pointed out that all Winnebagos now leave the factory with MCD Shades.

I hope Jim and I have given you some insight

That is what I was thinking. Thanks for the info.

Beaker666

My new bighorn has the MCD shades and I find them much better than the pleated day night shades. I had a problem with the strings breaking as we'll. Only criticism I have about the MCD shades is that when your windows are open and there is a breeze, they tend to make noises as the bottom of the shade hits the window . Kind of annoying at night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pegmikef

My new bighorn has the MCD shades and I find them much better than the pleated day night shades. I had a problem with the strings breaking as we'll. Only criticism I have about the MCD shades is that when your windows are open and there is a breeze, they tend to make noises as the bottom of the shade hits the window . Kind of annoying at night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In the package they gave me at the factory, there was a bunch of velcro pads so I assume that is probably the reason for them. Are the new Big Horns now delivered with MCD Shades? Mine's an early 2014 and it had the standard pleated ones.