Are we crazy? Cross country trip with a new RV?

johnpsz

We haven't started the details of the trip yet, however we are planning a couple weeks for travel then a couple weeks on the east coast and a return trip, we have done this trip multiple times with a 10-11K trailer (large enclosed trailer, but not an RV) but staying at hotels every night gets expensive, so we were hoping the new RV will help give us a place to stay at night and a place to stay when visiting the east coast. With 2 young kids we can no longer just crash on my sisters couch, lol.

We bought the RV for family camping outings and so forth, but decided to get it now because of 2 upcoming weddings in October (1 week apart from each other, my cousin and my nephew) and the down payment for the RV was less than the cost to get a family of 4 out there and stay for 10 days, plus now we can see more sites along the way.

That being said, re we crazy for wanting to take a new trailer that distance, knowing we will be doing a few shakedown camping trips locally (within a few hours) before we go.

Also, If we take the upper US route (I-94) would we be able to see more sights than say I-84 -I-80 (mid US) route? We have done the mid US route 3 separate times and I don't recall a lot of great camping places? I know if we do the I-94 route we could hit a few national parks though. Thoughts?

johnpsz

Also, I work from home, so I will be working from the RV when we stop and my wife and the kids will do fun stuff during the day while I work, then the thought is to drive to the next "site" in the evenings, or maybe throughout a day depending on distance so it's like I'll work a day drive then a day and so on.

danemayer

Hi johnpsz,

If you use the RV a couple of times before the big trip, you'll have a good shot at curing any problems before you head out - if your dealer is willing to prioritize work on your trailer. You should have that discussion with the dealer sales and service management now - before planning the trip and before taking delivery. This time of year there's a lot of service work and prep of new deliveries - the service department will be swamped and unless you make prior arrangements, they could tell you that you have a 3 or 4 week wait before they can even look at the unit.

On the northern route, I seem to recall a number of comments about strong crosswinds out west. Less so on the southern route.

sengli

Depends on how well your PDI goes. We didnt have anything really go wrong with our elkridge the two years we had it. Bring some tools and hope for the best. Enjoy the new rig.

Gaffer

Be sure to check your tire pressure every morning that you tow. The max pressure for your 225/75R15-D tires is 65 psi. Consider upgrading your tires to Maxxis M8008 which are available from Americas Tire Stores here in Oregon (aka Discount Tires).

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
I'm going to chime in on the affirmative side of this discussion, Assuming that you do get a few weeks of camping under your belt and and shake out any issue before you go then you should have found any Glaring issue before you head out cross country. Now with that said, bring tools and be prepared for issues to crop up. When you do your PDI, be sure to run the rig on city water and on the water pump, run your AC and other appliances, if you have a heater ( as in electric aka fireplace ) be sure you fire it up and allow it to cycle. run the Refer on Elect, Gas and Battery ( if it is a 3 way ) to be sure all modes work ... Water heater - run it on GAS and Electric and spend enough time to be sure that it heats the water on both modes ( remember never to turn on the electric element without water in the water heater )

as to the trip it self, I would strongly recommend that you sign up for allstays.com and down load their mobile app for your phone and/or tablet ... they also have a web based subscription too. This is a very valuable tool for locating RV parks and for identifying rode side services. as you plan your trip, and it will drop you in town X you can use allstays to see what the camp grounds are around that location ... and see reviews, prices, and get to their web site and phone number quickly and all in one location.

And Lastly, Enjoy the journey! and happy camping!

Kevin

iaflatlander

Take tools. Plan to fix things. Have fun.

Consider Interstates 80, 90 and 94. By some planning, you could hit a bunch of national parks, monuments, etc. This time of year, sustained high winds are unusual.

JMHO

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Join Passport America (around $40.00) and use affiliated campgrounds during weekdays. You'll save a ton of money - most are half price Mon - Thur.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim.Allison

There are several YouTube video of what kind of tools you should carry. I know it does not sound important but you can carry a lot of weight in tools for no good reason, then you could also leave a very handy tool at home.

Be sure to use best practices when it come to tires.
Do not travel with full fresh water go half and none in grey or black. Just enough to get by.

Be sure to take a volt meter and digital pressure gauge.

Grease your hitch.

Fill your batteries with distilled water before leaving. Charge them too.

Fill gas bottles at home town not on the road.

ramdually4100king

I've picked up new sob fifth wheel trailers from the dealer loaded the camper and driven from Nebraska to california twice in the past. Each time we lived in the camper for at least 4 months. So no I don't think you are crazy.

We gave up on trying to find good campgrounds in our coast to coast travels. We now just stay at KOA's. They are easy to find, kid friendly, and have playgrounds for the kids. We even now full time at one... So we are kind of biased.

Don't read to many forums on long distance towing or you will start to worry about everything and loose your hair like I did.

Good luck in your travels.

johnpsz

OK, we took delivery of our Elkridge last week and have done some "back yard" camping in it a couple nights, both boon docking and hooked to house power and water, and tested out a lot of the systems (actually everything but the black water flush, but that's because we started using the toilet). Between a thorough PDI and them fixing things within 2 days of finding them during the PDI I think the "camping/living" features of the trailer are ready for the trip, next I need to address wheels/tires and travel comfort. We are planning on hitting KOA's for this trip just to make it easier and most that we have looked at on the routes have wifi so I can work from the road and not have to take as much vacation time. It's a little more expensive this way, but a lot cheaper than hotels each night as in other similar trips.

Jasonrs1319

If you don't already have it, get a Pex crimping tool for the water lines. I have had a few leak at the connections. Very easy to fix but you must have the proper tools. Also some of the different connections and some spare pex line and crimp rings. Water problems will put a stop to a trip faster than about anything else.

johnpsz

If you don't already have it, get a Pex crimping tool for the water lines. I have had a few leak at the connections. Very easy to fix but you must have the proper tools. Also some of the different connections and some spare pex line and crimp rings. Water problems will put a stop to a trip faster than about anything else.
Actually I completed redid my house with PEX and have crimping tool, lots of rings, extra PEX, as well as a lot of extra fittings so I will put together a little travel assortment, thanks for the advise.

Wmnmy

Congrats on our new elkridge we did the west to east and back trip download goodsam app they have great campgrounds right off the interstates good discounts and
we felt safe at them . bring tools flashlights road flares if you travel at night .patients a must enjoy have fun happy camping....

johnpsz

I just finished a meeting with my manager asking if I take a longer trip but am able to work from the road if that would be ok. His response was as long as I had reliable high speed internet and was available then it's cool by him. So longer trips are in the works.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I just finished a meeting with my manager asking if I take a longer trip but am able to work from the road if that would be ok. His response was as long as I had reliable high speed internet and was available then it's cool by him. So longer trips are in the works.

John, I would not rely on park wifi to be reliable. I work remotely as a freelance self-employed graphic designer, and have found that a lot of parks have Wifi service that is slow or gets so overused that you can't use it at all. I invested in a personal mifi device, and I research the coverage area of my carrier before traveling. Having my own mifi internet connection has worked flawlessly about 95% of the time.

wino2

Everyone is giving you great advice. I would only add one thing for peace of mind, and that would be a TPMS. Especially, if you decide to travel at night.

Be safe, and have a good fun trip!

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Ditto on investing in a cellular mifi device. I often work from the RV and the RV park wifi is usually not fast enough for any downloads or uploads. Heck , many of them barely support email. Just be careful about your data usage with the mifi.

Last edited:

johnpsz

Thanks for the continued advise, we are thinking about going with Millenicom for a couple reasons I average 20 gigs of usage just for work. That will leave our 6 gig AT&T shared data for family usage, plus gives me a choice of network/coverage. And if the family can jump on the free WiFi spots from time to time then even better, right?

The way I see it, I'd gladly pay $90 a month to be sure I can travel and have fun and educational times with my young children and spend time with the family rather than being tethered to an office.

Jim.Allison

Ditto on the TPMS. Travel in the morning to keep tires cool then spend the afternoon and evening enjoying RV park 300 miles or less is a good goal. Depending on where you are traveling, highway temps can be brutal on OEM tires.

Everyone is giving you great advice. I would only add one thing for peace of mind, and that would be a TPMS. Especially, if you decide to travel at night.

Be safe, and have a good fun trip!