5.5kw lp generator

Jim.Allison

If you order it installed or you order gen prep and install yourself, you will not be disappointed. Quite!!!!! Reliable!!!!!! Burns .8 gallons per hour running both air conditioners.

Gen prep was worth every penny, generator went right in. A few adjustments to motor mounts and and some creative engineering made for a real professional job. Instructions from Cummins Onan were complete. IF you have medium to good skills, or a good brother-in-law this is an easy task.

One of the side effects of doing such an installation is that you become intimately knowledgeable of the system. If you buy it installed, you will be happy with the performance.

Last edited:

danemayer

Our 2011 Rushmore was ordered with the Onan 5500 LP generator. We use it during power outages, occasionally during a rest stop to heat something in the microwave, and when working on the RV in the storage lot. It's pretty handy to press a button and have power. Also, the LP generator doesn't have problems with fuel getting stale or fouling the carb.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Really like ours too...always starts, no carburetor issues...nada! Use it while traveling and when power goes out. Will really give it a workout when we stop working as we love to boondock!

porthole

Retired
LP is clean burning especially when it comes to the ethanol issue. I wish the manufacturers would offer a gasoline version in the conventional 5th wheels with a fuel cell though. If they really did burn under a tenth a gallon per hour it would be great, but the reality is, the average under a good load is about 1 gallon per hour, gasoline or propane, with gasoline getting a slight edge in efficiency.

Not that I'lll ever do it, but the LP gensets are limited to a minimum temp of 0 degrees.

The Onan's are quiet and meet National Park standards for sound levels.

Average fuel consumption:

Gasoline
No load 0.3 Gal/h (1.3 L/h)

Half load 0.6 Gal/h (2.3 L/h)

Full load 0.9 Gal/h (3.6 L/h)

LPG:
No load 0.4 Gal/h (1.8 lb/h)

Half load 0.8 Gal/h (3.3 lb/h)

Full load 1.1 Gal/h (4.6 lb/h) 2.1 kg/h

Jim.Allison

Correction .8 gallons, not .08. Onan could only dream of a .08 fuel consumption rate at medium load, fortunately 2750 watts is way more than it takes to power your rig in most cases. Full load at sea level of 5500 watts would run your whole house. Still incredibly efficient. Mine will run my rig all day on a cylinder. If you are using it now and then, the LP cost as opposed to gasoline or diesel is insignificant in terms of fire hazard and and in the case of diesel, the associated mess. LP is the way to go unless you are a constant user or an industrial user of the device such as an ambulance or other application. And the maintenance is a significant consideration. I'm not suggesting that you do it, but what fuel would you carry in your basement or in the back of your truck,. Diesel, Gasoline or LP. Me? I say LP.