Air compressor discussion

Bobby A

Well my old air compressor is on its last leg, I seen an ad at Harbor Freight for a 6 gallon 150 PSI max compressor made by Central Pneumatic with coupon was just under a hundred bucks. I have no questions about the price as it is a good deal but I was wondering about quality. Has anyone used this product and are happy with it ?? What is everyone using to add air to our 110# PSI G614's ?? Anyone have something smaller that stores easily in the rig that has given them good results ?? Thanks very much, Bobby A

Jim.Allison

Lowes, $129 many to choose from. I chose this one. My inverter will run it easily to 155 lbs. I need it for my Goodyear G114, trailer saver hitch and Air Flight airbags. Gas stations with operating air compressors are difficult to find, especially ones that can provide 80 psi or more. This one stores easily in that it has a wide stance and does not tip or slide around. It is covered on top so you can stack hoses and pneumatic stuff on it. I keep a pneumatic airgun so that I can run lug nuts up if on the side of the highway. It wont torque them but it will suck them up quickly. Then my torque wrench or break over bar can be used to tighten until I can get somewhere to torque. I like to have a blower to blow out the basement or for some other application. The three gallon capacity helps with that. I wanted something light so I gave every one of the compressor at lowes a heft to see which would be lightest. This one was not the lightest but I was willing to take the extra few lbs in exchange for its features. I hope this helps. BTW, there are some DC compressors that could be considered better, but if you have a generator or medium inverter this will give you good service.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_57655-30449...L=?Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=

Well my old air compressor is on its last leg, I seen an ad at Harbor Freight for a 6 gallon 150 PSI max compressor made by Central Pneumatic with coupon was just under a hundred bucks. I have no questions about the price as it is a good deal but I was wondering about quality. Has anyone used this product and are happy with it ?? What is everyone using to add air to our 110# PSI G614's ?? Anyone have something smaller that stores easily in the rig that has given them good results ?? Thanks very much, Bobby A

Jim.Allison

olcoon

I've got a small Craftsman compressor, 150psi, I know it'll go up to 105psi, & from the way it acts, 150 shouldn't be a problem. I've used it to air up the tires on the 5er, with my finish nailer, & with my impact wrench, rotating tires on TV, etc. THIS is exactly like it, but I guess Sears isn't putting the Craftsman name on it anymore, mine was probably made by Porter Cable, as it is exactly like this one.

jnbhobe

Take a look at the Viair 20008, 20007, 20005, and 20003 one of them may fit the bill. I will get the 20008 when I get time to install it.

Bobby A

This one has served me well. It takes up more space than the 12v types but can be used for many things.
Porter Cable

Wow !! a lot of good post hear thanks very much, this one hear Neale looks exactly like the one at Harbor Freight, I would like to hear from someone that has used this product, maybe no one has used Harbor Freight compressors, as the old get what you pay for rule may apply. Look forward to more comments, thanks again.

Jim.Allison

Ditto, its a rental place where you don't have to take it back. LOL. However they have a great tool box set made by General, Its better than anything around and not inexpensive at all. I have the whole set. I shopped all over the place, not even craftsman can beat the General. You have to get into the Snap On and MAC tool boxes to get better and we all know how much those run.

I view Harbor Freight tools as one time use tools.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
I can't speak to the Harbor Freight pancake compressor but I have their 60gal 5hp compressor that I bought used 2 yrs ago. I use it a couple times a week and haven't had any trouble with it.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I've got a small Craftsman compressor, 150psi, I know it'll go up to 105psi, & from the way it acts, 150 shouldn't be a problem. I've used it to air up the tires on the 5er, with my finish nailer, & with my impact wrench, rotating tires on TV, etc. THIS is exactly like it, but I guess Sears isn't putting the Craftsman name on it anymore, mine was probably made by Porter Cable, as it is exactly like this one.

We have the Craftsman like this, as well. Was recommended to us by a Landmark owner! ;)

Jim.Allison

There is a situation where your compressor regulator is set such that its signal to start and stop causes it to not have pressure to inflate your tire. When this happens then you must increase your regulator to where the signal to start is above your desired tire pressure. In your case, 110 psi. So you need a 150 psi compressor for quick inflation. I hate being on my knees inflating tires.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The trick to using a lower max. pressure 120V compressor is to fool it into "thinking" the tank is not full. My 3 gallon Makita air nailer shuts off at 125 psi, but can't top off a 110 psi tire. So I fill the tank, then use the dump valve to start it again. That's when i put the nozzle on the tire stem. The compressor then runs until I pull the nozzle off the stem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mrsfish

Another vote for the Viair. Works very well in all conditions - only needs your truck or trailer battery posts.

DougS

Doug S
Bobby A
I have been using the Harbor Freight 6 gallon 150 PSI max compressor for the last 3 years with no problems. I have even blow up tires on the road when a valve stem became lose with the power source of a 2,000 inverter.