Experience with XtraRide Extended RV Warranty

rockerdude

While staying in our '13 Big Country last week, we woke (actually my wife did, I was dead asleep) about an hour after we went to bed to find that our entire rig was full of smoke. About 20-30 seconds AFTER we woke up, our smoke alarm finally went off. Smelling burned wire, we figured it was an electrical fire and so turned off the power (electric and battery) and opened up all the windows. We then called the local Fire Dept to come check over the RV to make sure nothing was still hot before we left it.
The following morning, I called our warranty company (XtraRide) who after quite awhile, finally got ahold of a RV Repair guy that luckily was able to stop by and check out what happened and where. I have to say, we were very lucky in more ways than one. First, we are very lucky to be alive after surviving this fire, but secondly, we were very lucky to find Don at Copper Mountain RV Repair. All other companies we called were at least 2 weeks out before someone could even come and look at our rig.
What Don found was that our converter had shorted and was burning the wires on both sides and hoses that were laying across it. We are very lucky that there was nothing combustible any closer than they were, or we wouldn't be here now. He noticed, while investigating the problem, that a water line above the converter (that's right, plumbing ABOVE an electrical piece of equipment, not smart) had a slow leak, about a drip every 30 seconds or so, which happened to be landing on the converter.
So after contacting XtraRide and starting our claim, Xtraride's contract says we must first get permission BEFORE starting the work. So here we were 450 miles from home and wanted to get back in our RV, so we had the work done, figuring XtraRide would get to us soon. Well here it is 6 days later and they have finally gotten back to our repair guy, and told him they are sending someone out to investigate our claim. Can you believe it, like I said, it's been 6 days and NOW they are finally sending someone out to check it out? Now knowing they we were suppose to get permission first, I can only imagine they will not pay for our repair. They should be glad we unplugged the power and saved the entire rig from burning up. The investigator won't even be here for another day or two, so I guess we'll see what XtraRide says. Now I know why they want you to get permission first, knowing you're not going to wait a week or more to get it fixed, they can turn down your claim. Needless to say, if they don't accept our claim, we will be canceling our policy with them.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Ross,
Wow, glad you are both safe and damage was minimal. Hope they get it resolved to your satisfaction soon. Trace

rockerdude

Thanks Trace! Hope all is well with you two! I'll let you know what they say.

Last edited by a moderator:

SeattleLion

All may not be lost. They did send the RV repair guy. I am not a lawyer, but let's say that the damage was caused by the leaky water line, then instead of the warranty company, it may be your insurance that covers the work.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Although not as severe as your problem, when I schmucked our awning while backing into our seasonal site earlier this summer, our insurer, Foremost, had a settlement "check" deposited in our bank account before the local RV dealer/repair facility could get the new awning in. The settlement was actually fir more than the repair ended up costing me. Had the same fast service a couple of years back when thieves broke in at the storage yard, stole both TV's and messed up the door. No screwing around with "we'll tell you who can fix it."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rockerdude

Well, as it turned out, ExtraRide accepted my claim. After such a traumatic experience and after hearing from what the original guy our repair guy talked to, and then having to wait a week to find out, you could see where I was thinking they would not accept the claim. But after a lot of prayers, they did. Luckily we were parked at OUR RV lot and didn't have to stay in a rented spot for a week while we waited to hear back. Anyway, bottom-line, they covered our claim and all is well.
I did put a second smoke detector down below our coach, right above the converter, so if this happens again we should get a little better heads up.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Ross,
Glad it went well for you.

Hope to see you again at some point down the road. Trace