WiFi Ranger... What is it? This video explains it well.

Mizmary

I did talk to the park about Tengo's policy - and I am supposed to have unlimited bandwidth- they are working with Tengo to make sure that happens.... I used to provide my own internet, but they cut the phone line preventing me from doing so, so other than a mifi or contract hotspot, it's my only option... Unless there is something you know that the park isn't telling me? ;P In which case I would love to know it so that I can at least have a backup?

Thanks for the hint... I'd be way more willing to try the $100 option before I blow $600 on the ranger - how does it do with streaming? We do a lot of facetime with my husband because he is stationed elsewhere right now... And, I will admit that I do like to watch my netflix (on occassion, I have regular TV too.) But we do have other devices (wii, directv reciever, printer, etc.) that like to use small amounts of internet at times... Basically I think I'm asking a lot of a small device, and I'm trying to not be a nuicanse to the campground ..

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Hi Mizmary,

I use a Pepwave Surf-on-the-Go to connect to Tengo Internet. All of my devices in the coach then connect to the Pepwave and have internet access. Requires only one Tengo coupon.

However, let me suggest that you ask the park about the Tengo bandwidth policy. We're currently at La Hacienda Resort in Austin, TX. Tengo here allows one coupon per site with a 750 MB limit on data consumption per day at high speed, after which they slow you down to 56 Kb/sec (dialup speed). Our park in Colorado has a limit of 1 GB per day after which you're slowed to 100 Kb/sec. Tengo may be your only choice, but it can be very limited in what is provided.

Upon researching a similar solution myself, and talking to Dan, I picked up a Pepwave Surf On-the-Go as well. I've had good success with it and especially like the fact that all my internal products are on one network, and I have the failover to my AT&T Mifi should the park Wifi become too sketchy. (I use the Wilson Sleek 4G to boost the AT&T Mifi's cellular signal.)

The only drawback I've found so far is that I cannot seem to get the Pepwave to use my iPhone as a hotspot, USB tethered or wirelessly. (Probably a software setting I'm not doing right.) It's my option #3.

danemayer

I used my Pepwave this past summer with a Comcast 25 Mb modem service and it handled streaming from HBOGo, Amazon Prime and others without any problem. My Directv H24-500 DVR receiver has always had difficulty maintaining wireless connections, but I think the problem there may be on the Directv side. It seems to prefer an ethernet connection, so I had it plugged into the Comcast modem.

On Tengo, keep in mind that "unlimited bandwidth" is probably more about data consumption than speed. Speed is constrained by 1) the incoming data pipe to the park, and 2) the equipment used by Tengo, and 3) how close you are to an access point, and 4) how close the access point is to the gateway that is connected to the incoming pipe, and 5) sources of interference such as other WiFi devices.

My experience with Tengo in Colorado was that even with 50 Mb/sec incoming service, and unlimited bandwidth setting on the Tengo admin panel, my results were rarely even 3 Mb/sec. You can stream video with that performance, but just barely.

Also consider that unlimited bandwidth is not necessarily the same as priority bandwidth. If a bunch of people are using your access point, you're still sharing whatever that access point can deliver.

Mizmary

Thanks Ericka for the confirmation... I think I will be grabbing one shortly!

Dan, thank to you too. I am pretty close to the access point (though another, closer, dedicated access point has been promised). I have been getting 5Mbps, and we are used to 3Mbps (max DSL speed, as far as I know). So, we could stream most of the time... I don't stream often - I just want to be able to facetime and have my millions of devices able to update and all....

Thanks again! I love this group! :eek:

TravelTiger

I did talk to the park about Tengo's policy - and I am supposed to have unlimited bandwidth- they are working with Tengo to make sure that happens.... I used to provide my own internet, but they cut the phone line preventing me from doing so, so other than a mifi or contract hotspot, it's my only option... Unless there is something you know that the park isn't telling me? ;P In which case I would love to know it so that I can at least have a backup?

Thanks for the hint... I'd be way more willing to try the $100 option before I blow $600 on the ranger - how does it do with streaming? We do a lot of facetime with my husband because he is stationed elsewhere right now... And, I will admit that I do like to watch my netflix (on occassion, I have regular TV too.) But we do have other devices (wii, directv reciever, printer, etc.) that like to use small amounts of internet at times... Basically I think I'm asking a lot of a small device, and I'm trying to not be a nuicanse to the campground ..

Well, my post showed up after yours, so my post doesn't quite match up -- but to give light to one question, I am not sure about streaming -- I've yet to find any RV Park that can match a DSL or Cable Modem bandwidth. 4G LTE is probably faster than what you get with park wifi, but that is based on "feel," not facts.

TravelTiger

Just for grins, I just tested my connections 3 ways:

1. iphone as hotspot, tethered via USB, sitting on Wilson Sleek cradle (4G): 3.49 down, 1.12 up
2. AT&T Mifi Liberate, sitting on Wilson Sleek cradle (4G): 3.07 down, 1.12 up
3. Pepwave On-The-go connected wirelessly to Park Wifi (unknown): 3.85 down, .47 up

But upon running Speedtest.com multiple times with the same connection, it varied widely. Sometimes I get 4G LTE, and it goes much faster. Sometimes, the Park Wifi goes excruciatingly slow.

So, as we like to say, your mileage may vary.

jimtoo

IF I could loan some speed I would.... just checked... 50.92 down,,,16.47 up.. Do I need it... not really, but it's available here at home now.

Jim M

jdamude

I'm looking for a good wifi solution for both Canada and the U.S. I have a Verizon jet pack but there doesn't seem to be any provisions for external antennas. Our Candian hub is a MF28b with Rogers as the carrier, again no external antenna provisions. Any advice would be appreciated.

TravelTiger

IF I could loan some speed I would.... just checked... 50.92 down,,,16.47 up.. Do I need it... not really, but it's available here at home now.

Jim M

Jim, I hear ya. Have that at the stick and bricks, so you understand my frustration trying to be "mobile".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbeletti

Hi Jim,
I see you are using an external antenna for your Verizon hub. What make us it? Is it proprietary to Verizon devices? Where do you have it mounted?

Thanks
Jeff

Jeff,

I think this is the one I have. But there are a lot of antennas today for the 3G/4G band. I was looking for something that was low-profile and required no ground-plane.

Use WPSAntennas.com as an antenna resource. Great people there.

Mizmary

I love a fast connection, but don't need it. I just need to be able to download my system updates and the like. :) I have been getting 5 up and 3 down pretty consistently here - so it's fast enough! But I would love 50! I'll take some of the extra speed you all have! I wish it worked that way. :)