Best WiFi internet service

PeteR12

Hi
We are new to RVing and we are trying to decide on what
WiFi provider to use. Traveling from Montana roaming Arizona this winter.
Verizon, AT&T, or ? We are big data users so this is an issue.

Thanks,
Montana Cowboy

Boostable

I would recommend looking at the data maps of the providers you are considering and see who provides the best coverage in the areas you are wanting to travel. I personally use AT&T and it works well for us. I turn my Iphone into a hot spot and use that for all other devices and traveling with three teenage girls they can certainly move some data!!!!

danemayer

Hi PeteR12,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. I'm sure you'll get a variety of answers on cellular data providers.

My own experience is that Verizon actually delivers what they promise and they have coverage just about everywhere. Where they claim 4G data service, it's there. If they claim 3G, it's there. My prior experience through about 2012 with AT&T was unsatisfactory outside of major cities.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We have both ATT and Verizon mi-fi systems. They both work fine when there is service. But I don't care what the advertising says, we have found the ATT works 99percent of the time and Verizon about 75 percent of the time. We have to have wifi for our job so that is why both. When ATT does not work Verizon does. If I had to buy just one system I would take the ATT because it works in many more places than Verizon. Forget Sprint and the other carriers because if you are not close to a major city they pretty much don't work at all. Hope this helps.

rxbristol

I use Verizon Jetpack. In my current area it supports 4G lte which provides a 20Mb download and a 12Mb upload speed and it has never gone down in the last 9 months.

PeteR12

Thanks for your input ...much appreciated. Three teenage girls wow you do have a handful. Thanks again from empty nesters here in Montana

TXTiger

I believe that Verizon, AT&T, Sprint all provide wifi via their cell towers. If you have no cell service you will have no wifi. Look into satilite service if you will be in areas that have poor or no cell service.

Boostable

Three teenage girls wow you do have a handful. Thanks again from empty nesters here in Montana

My oldest "girl" Just turned 20, so I can't count her as a teen anymore and she is off to College, but she makes 4. Next one goes in another year.. Love them all dearly, but counting the days.. :)

Garypowell

I am surprised no one has mentioned Millenicom yet. Find them under the WWW. Many tried it before me. They are basically a reseller of Verizon data. 20 Gigs for $90. We have had an AT&T hot spot for 5 years but at the rate we use data working on the road it was too expensive. For the last month the Jetpack/Verizon has worked excellent.

We did have one slow weekend. I called Millenicom and they investigated and found out it was a Verizon problem.....they reset my data counter....nice Perk!

Our plan is to have both plans but use the Millenicom first. If we max out on the 20 gig it shuts off. Then we switch over to the AT&T as it is scaleable. And if one does not work....the other one should.

jbeletti

Gary,

Like you, I use the Millenicom 20 GB of data first, then my Verizon phone as a hotspot (6 GB).

But - since I have a WiFi Ranger, I set it up to use campground WiFi, then failover to the Millenicom modem (tethered via USB).

rxbristol

Gary,

Like you, I use the Millenicom 20 GB of data first, then my Verizon phone as a hotspot (6 GB).

But - since I have a WiFi Ranger, I set it up to use campground WiFi, then failover to the Millenicom modem (tethered via USB).

Jim, it must be a great service considering how much you travel. Do you get 4G speeds? Any downsides?

jbeletti

Jim, it must be a great service considering how much you travel. Do you get 4G speeds? Any downsides?

Rex - yes, 4G quite often. Only downside is the cost. $90 for 20GB. Is it more expensive than a 20GB package direct with Verizon or AT&T? Not sure anymore as I have not shopped them lately.

Garypowell

Jim,

I have a Pepwave soho but have not really accomplished the "fall back" scheme as you have. We use the soho as a router that our 2 laptops are hooked to as well as our wireless printer. Then I have used the millenicom as it's source for internet service. But when the signal drops it takes a minimum of 30 seconds to hook onto a backup signal.

And to make matters worse since you have to directly hook into a hot spot to set it up our computers during the downtime immediately hook up with the hot spot. The printer being more locked stays on the soho. So we usually know we have lost connectivity when we can't print.

I know there are ways around this problem but it has been a real learning process to go through this.

I have never been a fan of park wifi. Most of our work is email based sending quotes out and responding to customer emails and with weak and spotty park wifi we choose not to frustrate ourselves and just don't use it.

I use an app on my phone to make it a hotspot, no extra charge depending on what phone you have it works great, need to go to their web site and check to see if your phone is supported Foxfi its in the playstore
At home I have dishnet, and maybe 3 bars of service on cell phone and still can get speeds faster than the dish plan I have. Foxfi has a one time price of $9 been using it on both are phones for over a year now as long as my plan dont change ( still have the unlimited data plan)

pegmikef

Rex - yes, 4G quite often. Only downside is the cost. $90 for 20GB. Is it more expensive than a 20GB package direct with Verizon or AT&T? Not sure anymore as I have not shopped them lately.

Right now with the Verizon Jet Pack $90 will only get you 10GB.