Onstar Experiences

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
How many more $30 per month charges can any of us afford?

I kept the basic onstar service without the extras. I like being able to lock and unlock the doors from anywhere with my cell phone etc.

According to my Chevy dealer . . . even if I don't keep the Onstar service after the trial period, the phone app will still work for five years.

I'm still on the fence about continuing the service when the free service ends in May, 2015.

I already have a Rand McNally RV GPS unit, and haven't had a need to use the Onstar GPS in the truck . . . yet.

Problem is . . . how many more $30 per month charges can any of us afford? :confused:

I know that I will not continue the XM radio service when the trial runs out next month.

Granted it is kind of nice up in the mountains when regular radio stations are out of range . . . so far have only used it twice in the two months I've had my new truck!

But yet again . . . how many more $30 per month charges can any of us afford? :confused:

Seems that every time I turn around . . . someone is always asking me for only $30 a month for this or that!

TruckOnLookoutMountain-IMG_20141010_134015656.jpg

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Re: How many more $30 per month charges can any of us afford?

I have personally seen the "disable vehicle" feature work. If an Onstar equipped vehicle is stolen, the GPS locator can find the vehicle and notify the owner and the police of its location. When officers are in place, Onstar will disable the vehicle, limiting speed to 20 (?) MPH. There is also a feature that will disable the ignition so that if the car is stolen with a key in the ignition, when the key is turned off, it will not restart.

JohnD

I have personally seen the "disable vehicle" feature work. If an Onstar equipped vehicle is stolen, the GPS locator can find the vehicle and notify the owner and the police of its location. When officers are in place, Onstar will disable the vehicle, limiting speed to 20 (?) MPH. There is also a feature that will disable the ignition so that if the car is stolen with a key in the ignition, when the key is turned off, it will not restart.

But will they do that if we don't pay the monthly fee????

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders

I would doubt it, but then I'm not Onstar. Ever heard the term you've got to pay to play?

JohnD

I would doubt it, but then I'm not Onstar. Ever heard the term you've got to pay to play?

Of course I have . . . but I can only handle so many $30/month payments....

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Re: Onstar sucks . . . anyone with me?

Mine is only $15.95 a month for the basic service (per vehicle).

Westwind

We had a 2008 GMC Sierra and in 2009 on our way to Florida after getting back on the highway after stopping at a rest area we threw a check engine light and were in limp mode,our OnStar subscription had expired. After pushing the button and subscribing for 30 days OnStar located us, told me what was wrong and got us to a garage to have the truck checked out. I have it on our new 2015 but I'm sure when it expires I won't renew it unless we should travel cross country.

JohnD

I'm going to compare my Rand McNally GPS device to the OnStar GPS service in January, 2015 when we go to the Arizona Heartland Owners Club Rally.

We will also go to the Grand Canyon on that trip.

I'll post my results here in the forum.

While I understand that $360 per year is nothing if the benefit of OnStar saves a life or two or three if you choose to pay for the service.

But in real life reality . . . how many $360 per year charges are we willing to gamble for a service we may or may not need?

If it was $20-$50 per year . . . maybe it would be more palpable for those of us that don't have any danger issues!

However . . . I hope I can reach my wallet if I am in a situation where I need OnStar and I don't have their service paid up to date. :(:p

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

If you have the Rand McNally GPS and like it, you don't need the full Monty from OnStar, just the basic service. Personally, a print map, Smartphone, and preplanning a trip route work for me.