How Many Have Fired Their Weapon?

traveler44

one should never pull a weapon unless you are sure you are going to use it taking someone life is no joking matter and if you pull it better make sure you can pull the trigger or get it used on you
I am going to class next week to try to get my Illinois CCW permit and I have one from Florida. I have thought long and hard about the times that I survived scary situations and how and why I did without a weapon. I know that I will feel better having a weapon on me for self protection, just for the times when I can't escape a threat. If I ever pull or use a weapon will have to be determined by the circumstances.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Only at gun ranges. We carry our (real)1911 Colt ACP when traveling. Could I pull the trigger....dont know. If its me or them, I probably could. So far most gun ranges let me shoot my 1847 Walker and BTW its a hoot to shoot and LOUD. Everyone looks when you pull the trigger.

MdMike

I carry my weapon all of the time when RV'ing. Why? Because I have read articles of folks being robbed, not necessarily at campgrounds but in parking lots (tell me you have never stopped at a Walmart?) rest areas etc. my wife carries as well. I do remember in the past few years reading two different stories where people were camped in National Parks and found murdered after being robbed. One couple was shot to death in the RV and the perp torched it after killing them. I prefer being prepared. Also, we hike a lot in areas known to have bears. I carry two bear spray canisters as well as a large caliber handgun. There of course are also the big cats. Then there are the two legged creeps that also hike. Years ago there was a serial killer hiking, robbing and raping then murdering along the Appalachian Trail. He was eventually caught, but not until after much mayhem along his several state crime spree. I will not get into the second amendment debate, but if I am legal to carry then I do. My right to do so and I really do not care what others think!

lwmcguir

I carry my weapon all of the time when RV'ing. Why? Because I have read articles of folks being robbed, not necessarily at campgrounds but in parking lots (tell me you have never stopped at a Walmart?) rest areas etc. my wife carries as well. I do remember in the past few years reading two different stories where people were camped in National Parks and found murdered after being robbed. One couple was shot to death in the RV and the perp torched it after killing them. I prefer being prepared. Also, we hike a lot in areas known to have bears. I carry two bear spray canisters as well as a large caliber handgun. There of course are also the big cats. Then there are the two legged creeps that also hike. Years ago there was a serial killer hiking, robbing and raping then murdering along the Appalachian Trail. He was eventually caught, but not until after much mayhem along his several state crime spree. I will not get into the second amendment debate, but if I am legal to carry then I do. My right to do so and I really do not care what others think!

Extremely well stated!! I agree 100%

porthole

Retired
Resident. None of the non residents cover MD.

It is tough here in our area. MD, DE, NJ, NY CT - just can't get out of the area to actually be able to carry without being very careful. In NJ or NY if you are not a LEO you need to be real careful.
As a Jersey resident, even with non resident permits, I still can not have a handgun in my vehicle unless I am traveling directly from my residence to a range or shop or out of state, with no stopping in between.

OldTanker

Retired LEO and retired Army. I was lucky, my service in the Army was all peacetime and while I came very close to firing in extremis as a LEO I was able to solve the problem without popping the caps. I don't think about having a firearm as anything resembling paranoia. Same goes for the fire extinguishers in my rig and tow vehicle. Or the life preservers I used while on a boat, the safety line while climbing or the myriad of drills I had to perform for a check pilot while I was flying my own plane. Or the insurance I carry on all of my vehicles not to mention the annual check ups and good living habits I use. I do know that absent any of those items, when they are needed, I won't be likely to be worrying about anything else, ever. Paranoid? I don't think so. Prepared? Yes. Worried? Nope. Just going to live my life as best I can and care for those close to me.

whp4262

Retired LEO and retired Army. I was lucky, my service in the Army was all peacetime and while I came very close to firing in extremis as a LEO I was able to solve the problem without popping the caps. I don't think about having a firearm as anything resembling paranoia. Same goes for the fire extinguishers in my rig and tow vehicle. Or the life preservers I used while on a boat, the safety line while climbing or the myriad of drills I had to perform for a check pilot while I was flying my own plane. Or the insurance I carry on all of my vehicles not to mention the annual check ups and good living habits I use. I do know that absent any of those items, when they are needed, I won't be likely to be worrying about anything else, ever. Paranoid? I don't think so. Prepared? Yes. Worried? Nope. Just going to live my life as best I can and care for those close to me.

What kind or model of plane do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OldTanker

What kind or model of plane do you have?

I used to have a Piper Comanche 180. Great plane and very efficient cros country bird. Eventually got an A&P because I liked to work on it. The plane, house, PU and a lot of other stuff was sold when we started fulltiming in 04.

whp4262

I used to have a Piper Comanche 180. Great plane and very efficient cros country bird. Eventually got an A&P because I liked to work on it. The plane, house, PU and a lot of other stuff was sold when we started fulltiming in 04.

I've got a few hours in a Comanche, nice airplane. I got my A&P in 1987 and my IA in 1990. Spent some time in the AG world and as a Test Pilot for Cessna. I'm typed in the CE-500, CE-560XL, CE-680, BE-300, BE-400 and MU-300. I work for the FAA now and spend most of my time behind a desk.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The only time I've actually put a weapon in my hand as a defensive move was at home when a scruffy individual came onto the porch, banged on the door and yelled if some person lived here. He was not dressed for the weather and was able to see the .45 in my hand through the sidelite of the door. Most of the time, I wear a sidearm while at home or have one readily at hand. You can preach all you want, but where we live is not as idyllic as the local governments would have you believe.

Padiddle

...We did pull into the KOA that we were staying at one night, and there was a rather heavy police presence there. I asked a deputy walking by our camper what was going on because I hate being uninformed. A simple, "Are we OK?" He asked me to step back inside, and offered that a prisoner that was being transported had escaped from a police car and was at that time hiding in the immediate wooded area. Whatever happened, happened without incident, and we never heard or saw anything more that evening.
You just never know. Could have gone any one of different ways.

'Lil Guy'

Nicely put.

Bill-Cathy

We worked at Grant campground in Yellowstone National Park in 2010. August of that year two prison escapees plus a woman companion came to Yellowstone to elude capture. One of the murderers used the pay phone right in front of our check-in station. None of us knew the felons were even in the park until the park rangers warned us of their sighting nearby. I was off duty at the time but another member of our team came to our 5th wheel telling me that the fugitives were seen at our office. I travel with the 12 gauge which I promptly locked and loaded! Luckily for us the bad guys were captured days later in a different park. So while not really being in any danger, it was comforting having a means of protecting myself and my wife.

CaptnJohn

No, I'm NOT paranoid. Yes I carry. No I have never fired a weapon at a human since the '60s. Would I to protect myself, my family, or you ~ **** yes. I have the greatest respect for police but I know when seconds count they are only minutes away. I'd much rather have a gun and not need it than to need one and not have one.

Birchwood

I am Canadian and we see no need to carry weapons but yes we have had two incidents at our RV Golf resort where people have fired their guns.
One last year and another two days ago.......they both shot themselves in the head.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I am Canadian and we see no need to carry weapons but yes we have had two incidents at our RV Golf resort where people have fired their guns.
One last year and another two days ago.......they both shot themselves in the head.
Yeah, golf can be pretty frustrating.

Peace
Dave

Sarge

OP - Everyone has to make a choice.

Some choose to accept responsibility for their own safety and the protection of their families. Others choose to also defend the innocent lives in their zone. These people own - And sometimes carry - Firearms.

Some choose instead to rely on the mercy of criminals / terrorists - And the response time of someone else with a firearm - After a frantic 911 call.

If you knew if / where / when a violent attack against someone you care about was going to happen - Who would you rather have in between your loved one and their attacker?

You - With your phone.

Or me - A highly trained and experienced trigger puller with my sidearm.

Its your choice. Evil knows no bounds. Evil respects nothing.

I choose to accept what I consider my moral responsibility - And carry firearms for the defence and protection against that evil.

Good luck......

rahewett

I have never had to use my weapon and hope I never do, but it goes with me where ever I go. I have been in a couple of camp grounds where I didn't know anyone and sometimes you just get a feeling. I don't flaunt the fact I am armed but I know my wife and I are safer be cause of it. As one post said, "if you don't like guns, don't get one". I for one am glad that so many others on here do carry. I feel safer because of them.

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk