Winegard Travler on 2015 Landmark Newport..Question on exterior TVs??

owheaton

i just installed a Trav'ler SWM3 on my 2015 Newport and have both the living room and bedroom TVs operating from it with separate receivers. I do not however have the room or want to add separate receivers for the exterior TV or the additional TV that I've hooked up in the storage compartment. Is there any way to feed the picture form the internal TVs to the exterior ones? i know i would have to watch the same channel that i have inside but I'm ok with that. does anyone know if there was any prewiring done to allow the outside TV to run from the Directv receiver on the inside TV? or am i just nuts to even consider this? my ultimate goal would be to watch football outside in HD since what i have right now is the exterior units running off park cable which is SD..Any help greatly appreciated

Look forward to all comments/suggestions

Owen Wheaton

danemayer

Hi Owen,

One way to do what you want is to feed the output of one of the receivers into the cable/antenna coax connector. But of course that would require that one of your receivers have a coax output.

Another possibility is to use a wireless transmitter/receiver, also sometimes called an extender. Amazon.com carries a number of them. Most are standard definition and cost less than $100, but if you're willing to spend more money, you can get a high def extender.

owheaton

and thats where the problem begins as neither of my receivers have a coax output. i'll check on the extenders though ask wasn't aware of those. Appreciate your feedback!

Owen

Bohemian

If you have the genie (server) you can get a genie mini (client) for only $100.00. DTV also offers wireless solution to go with the genies.

jbeletti

Here's a link to one of the extenders Dan mentions. This one does HD for $149. I think I pay $6 per month for my Genie Mini Client. It would take me 25 months of Mini Client rental to cover the $149 cost this extender. That said, I'm considering it.

This past week, we spent time with our Florida Chapter Leaders. They have one of these Actiontec extenders. It actually works quite well. For those who do not want to run another wire, it's an option.

Another option that I've done with a previous coach is to run an HDMI cable from the main entertainment system cabinet to the outdoor entertainment cabinet. It takes about a 50 foot HDMI cable but it can be done. In this scenario, I used a 1x2 HDMI splitter to split the feed from my living room Genie DVR. In another installation, I split the output of my bedroom receiver (HDMI) - even longer run.

So many options - but I'm really leaning towards the Actiontec item linked above.

owheaton

thanks for all the great ideas and i did go ahead and purchase an extender and will try it out this weekend!! Hopefully it will work as advertised!! Thanks again to everyone that responded!

Owen

jbeletti

thanks for all the great ideas and i did go ahead and purchase an extender and will try it out this weekend!! Hopefully it will work as advertised!! Thanks again to everyone that responded!

Owen

Owen, if you ended up getting the one I linked to, let us know how it worked out. Because I change RVs every 1 to 2 years, I've decided to not go the HDMI Splitter / HDMI cable route as the cable would be left in the coach each time ($50). I think I'd rather move the wireless transmitter/receiver from RV to RV.

For those who are adverse to running wires, I can see how this could benefit those who want to feed the bedroom RV off the living room satellite receiver or even send DVD movies to other TVs. Not inexpensive, but easy to install and in my case, move from coach to coach.

wildwolfproducts

For me I ran a HDMI cable from a splitter off the back of my box. To the back of the Outdoor TV. I have to watch what is on that TV. But can use the remote through the window to swap channels while outdoors. Not the perfect setup but it works.
Sad part is the owner that had the unit out for 2 weeks before we bought it. Had one box working off all three TV's? He was changing channels from living room to the bedroom. As the receiver was in the bedroom. Tried it and have not gotten it to work for me in 3 seasons..
Pete

owheaton

just an update from last weekend on my HD TV situation. I did go out and purchase the ActionTec TV2 HDMI wireless extender at a cost of $193. yeah the cost was a little more than i would have liked but i have to tell you that the results were fantastic!! i ran the transmitter form the living room and the receiver from my 55" TV located in the outside storage area. The picture and sound was incredible and we watched three football games without any loss of signal. There was one time when we saw a quick second or two pixilation but it was gone as quickly as it occurred and we never saw it again. Overall my issue has been resolved and I'm happy with the results!!

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions and especially to Dan and Dan for putting me onto the HDMI extender search!!

Owen

TheWolfes

We are so new at this and it may be a stupid question but with the ActionTec TV2 HDMI wireless extender, is that all you need to watch TV anywhere? Do you need a subscription? We appreciate your help.

jbeletti

We are so new at this and it may be a stupid question but with the ActionTec TV2 HDMI wireless extender, is that all you need to watch TV anywhere? Do you need a subscription? We appreciate your help.

The ActionTec is an HDMI signal transmitter/receiver system. You need an HDMI source (like DVD player, satellite receiver). You connect the source up to the ActionTec transmitter. There's an HDMI output on the transmitter that allows you to restore the connection to the local TV.

Then, at the remote TV location, you connect the ActionTec receiver up to the TV with an HDMI cable. That's about it.

That all said, I've heard from some Heartlanders of issues with the ActionTec product and some have moved to another brand called Rocketfish.