Sailun Tires

HornedToad

I finally replaced my stock 10 ply tires with Sailun S637 G load rated tires. Several positive post on this forum and Heartland switching over to these tires on a lot of their fivers helped me decide on Sailun.

Big O Tire carries the Sailun line and has stores in all the western states (except Texas) and across the mid-west as far east as Kentucky. I bought mine from the Big O Tire in Roswell, NM. They didn't have them in the store, but I called on Tuesday and they had shipped them in from the warehouse by Thursday. The price for the 235/85R16s is not listed on their website. I was charged $169 a tire plus $15 each to mount & balance with free metal valve stems.

I was able to negotiate a small trade-in that dropped my net cost to $149 a tire and Big O also does service work so I had them lube the bearings. My total out he door for the seven tires and lube was under $1300.

I considered the G614s at close to $2500 and even switching over to 17.5 tires for over $4000. For the cost I believe the Sailun tires are my best bet.

justafordguy

After several weeks of research I just installed the Sailun S637s on my Gateway this weekend. They really look like a well made tire so hopefully we will both have good luck with them.;)

Westwind

I read a number of RV Forum's and have yet to see a negative posting about Sailun Tires.

MCTalley

Our new Big Country came with them from the factory (with metal valve stems, too - thanks Heartland!). Have put 1,863 miles on them so far (plus delivery from the factory to Phoenix, where we bought the rig, which would add another 1,850 miles or so).

Dealer tech that was fixing any PDI issues made it a point to let me know he made sure they were all aired up to 110 PSI (and they were, as verified by my TPMS that I put on the next morning).

justafordguy

Dealer tech that was fixing any PDI issues made it a point to let me know he made sure they were all aired up to 110 PSI (and they were, as verified by my TPMS that I put on the next morning).

Must be nice, I asked the tech that did our PDI if he checked the pressure on the Towmax, he said yes we check them all when they come in. I checked them after we got home (160 miles) and every tire was 25% low, even the spare. I'm sure they left the factory like that. Just another reason why I'm glad I got the S637s installed this past weekend.;)

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
When we ordered our 2015 3260EL, I was told it would be equipped with the S637s. After researching this company I was excited to have them. They are built to the highest factory ratings and I could not find one negative comment. We put over 6k miles last year and have been happy with them. Great move for Heartland!

AAdams

I have had GY GS614 on my current unit and previous one. When we ordered our Bighorn I could not see spending $2323 for the upgrade of 5 tires from Heartland when Sailuns came on the unit to start with. I like the OP haven't heard anything bad about them ( except that they are not made here in the US ) so we stayed with them.

Speedy

We've have the factory installed S637s since 2011 and are very happy with them. Lots of traveling the first two years of ownership (12K) but we have settled down for 2014/2015 but they will be replaced with S637s once we hit the road again.

HornedToad

We've have the factory installed S637s since 2011 and are very happy with them. Lots of traveling the first two years of ownership (12K) but we have settled down for 2014/2015 but they will be replaced with S637s once we hit the road again.

Wow Speedy, your post got me excited.

I've bought a lot of trailer tires... 5 blowouts, replaced a set of Marathons and a set of TowMax both less than a year old, and upgraded a set of one year old 10 ply to the Sailuns.

I've never bought a set of trailer tires cuz the old ones wuz worn out!!!

B

BouseBill

Have not made a long trip yet with the new rig, but that is coming up this next week. So far in the three months since I last checked the tires (don't fret, we're full-timers so we've been sitting for the past three months) they have lost two pounds in each tire. At least they are consistent in that aspect. I've been hearing nothing but good things about these tires. Way better than the blowmax we had last:)

bobca1

So it looks like Heartland is phasing out the Towmax if so that is great news! Hopefully the same for the toy haulers. Too late for me I had to pay to upgrade myself, but the additional $800 ($1000 for 5 Sailuns then unloaded my 5 towmax on CL for $200) is well worth it for peace of mind.
The one thing I apparently did not do right though is get full metal valve stems. I asked the tire shop to install new ones that were 110psi compatible but upon further inspection I see they are still made of rubber. I know they did replace original ones. So what is the problem with rubber ones do they have increased chance of leaking or something?

Jim.Allison

Any valve stem can be metal. But a 100+ psi valve stem will be metal.

https://www.etrailer.com/p-AM20906.html

So it looks like Heartland is phasing out the Towmax if so that is great news! Hopefully the same for the toy haulers. Too late for me I had to pay to upgrade myself, but the additional $800 ($1000 for 5 Sailuns then unloaded my 5 towmax on CL for $200) is well worth it for peace of mind.
The one thing I apparently did not do right though is get full metal valve stems. I asked the tire shop to install new ones that were 110psi compatible but upon further inspection I see they are still made of rubber. I know they did replace original ones. So what is the problem with rubber ones do they have increased chance of leaking or something?

Ron-Cookie

Probably no problem (as long as they are 110 pound capable) unless you decide to install some versions of a TPMS... On some models of the wheel sensors I believe the temp sense comes from the metal stem.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
An added external TPMS sensor can flex a rubber valvestem and cause a leak. Don't ask me how I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MagnoliaTom

I just came back from a 400 mile round trip with my new sailuns. So nice not worrying about the tow max fixing to blow!

SMinter

Unfortunately, my Towmax equipped Sundance XLT has 15 inch wheels so Sailuns aren't in my plans. Think I will just go with the Maxxis. I do have over 6000 miles on the two year old Towmax and so far they look OK but still uncomfortable with what I have read on this forum.

MCTalley

Does Sailun have an inflation table?

All 235/85R16 G-Rated tires should have a 3750 lb. rating at 110 PSI. Given that, a standard inflation chart would apply. A sample one can be found by clicking here (Goodyear Tires site). Scroll down to the second chart and look at the LT235/85R16 line (for singles, not duals).

justafordguy

Unfortunately, my Towmax equipped Sundance XLT has 15 inch wheels so Sailuns aren't in my plans. Think I will just go with the Maxxis. I do have over 6000 miles on the two year old Towmax and so far they look OK but still uncomfortable with what I have read on this forum.

I've not heard anything bad about the Maxxis. Whatever you decide to do, get rid of the TowMax.