Goodyear H-rated G114's blow out

porthole

Retired
Goodyear H-rated G-114's blow out

Well, didn't think it would happen, and can't recall having heard of one blowing out.

On the way to Myrtle Beach, we just exited I-95 onto I-295 when simultaneously we heard - felt the thump and the TPMS start alerting.
Looked in the mirror just in time to see a right side tire self destructing.

We had been traveling 62-65 mph for just over an hour. All temps and pressures were normal.
Took a half mile or so before we could find a place to safely pull over and be on a straight away instead of the curve.

While riding the shoulder with our flashers on doing about 30 mph we passed a trooper doing radar from the center island. Never fazed him.

Get stopped on an entrance ramp (because it offered some width) and the first thing I notice is the TPMS is still alerting but showing 69 psi. Seems odd, maybe the tire is not as bad as I think.

Nope tire shredded, J-wrap damaged along with some other parts. Overall though the trailer damage seems to be fairly minor compared to some reports seen here.

Attachments

• IMG_4430.JPG
    IMG_4430.JPG
    261.2 KB · Views: 387
  • IMG_4431 copy.JPG
    IMG_4431 copy.JPG
    404.3 KB · Views: 530
  • IMG_4432 copy.JPG
    IMG_4432 copy.JPG
    374.3 KB · Views: 470
Last edited:

porthole

Retired
Re: Goodyear H-rated G-114's blow out

LevelUp jacked, 1/2" gun in service, spare lowered (which also happens to be a G-114 on a matching rim) and I get to work.

Trooper pulls up behind us, spends some time in the car I'm sure to run our plate.
Finally comes out and we have a nice friendly conversation, mostly about his rookie who can't leave the car until he figures out where he is without using a GPS.

Takes me twice as long to change the tire now - only thing missing is the campfire and beverage.

And, as usual - the fire guys do the work while the coppers spectate :rolleyes:

BTW, radar troop never moved.

Take notice of the trooper with my center cap in his hand. Ah yup, held it for me the whole time, including the time it took me to pull the wheel back off and put it back in the hub.

Attachments

• IMG_4434 copy.JPG
    IMG_4434 copy.JPG
    286.2 KB · Views: 460
  • IMG_4435 copy.JPG
    IMG_4435 copy.JPG
    215.8 KB · Views: 428
Last edited:

danemayer

Duane,

You'll want to call Goodyear's Property Damage Claim department at 800-322-4682. They'll assign a claim # and arrange for return of the tire.

For my G614, they reimbursed the cost of the replacement tire, including delivery and installation at the RV Park which was arranged by Good Sam Roadside Assistance. They also reimbursed the body shop cost to fix the damage. If we had stayed in a hotel, they would have also reimbursed that.

porthole

Retired

Went to a Goodyear dealer down here today. Not exactly the customer service I was expecting.
Took a couple of phone calls to Goodyear to get to the right department as well.

Turns out, when you have a property damage issue, the claim is handled different then a straight tire warranty.

I bought the tires on 08/10/10. Date code on the tires is 1310, 13th week of 2010. That puts it about the week of March 30th - 2 weeks out of tire warranty, but under my purchase by 3 months. And they need to measure the tread :D

It is easy for the CS people on the phone to just start a claim and send you the paperwork. We will see what happens.

Tire and rim left at the store.
Goodyear has already arranged for picking up the tire for investigation (tomorrow)
4 tires ordered.
As good as the G-114's have been for most, I do not trust the remaining 3 for the ride home.
The dealer will come to the campground and pick up the 3 remaining wheels and tires and replace them, then bring them back.
$50 fee for that service call. Not bad as it means I don't have to lug 95 pound tire/wheel combos back and forth. I will jack the trailer up for the guy though :rolleyes:

And - the price has gone up quite a bit since I originally purchased them.

danemayer

I started on the telephone since I didn't know whether there were any local GY dealers. Our tires were the originals on the trailer with an August 2010 build date, so the tires were around the same age as yours. We had about 40,000 miles on them. Age, mileage and wear were never brought up by the Property Damage Claim department. They just covered everything.

Ironically, the plan had been to replace those G614s with G114s when we got to east Texas last October. Came up about 300 miles short.

porthole

Retired

Dan, cross posting I guess.

I have a claim and as you know, you pay for everything and then submit it.
With my tires being almost 5 years old I'm hoping for the best.

When I told the rep I was replacing all 4 because I did not feel safe with them, she said to submit everything and let the property damage division handle it.

Wishful thinking I know.

When the tire blew, I would not even had known to look had the TPMS not gone off. The thump could have just as well been an expansion joint.
And there was no loss of stability with the tow. But that leads me to my decision to buy 4. Can't imagine how fun that would be with 2 tires going together on the same side.

The worst part - still having to drive 340 miles, with no spare, on a Sunday - recalling every other story here where someone has a blow out and then 2-3 more before they get new tires.

olcoon

Guess that proves that no tire is bullet proof! BTW Duane, I can tell from the photo that those highly trained Law Enforcement Professionals were doing exactly what they are getting paid for, protecting you & the DW from muggers, buggers, & thieves while you are laboring away with your tire. Besides it is expensive taking those pretty blue uniforms to the dry cleaners! Wish I had the money I spent at the dry cleaners after 30 years on the job!!!

porthole

Retired

That's good to hear with your claim.

I just checked, I have about 21,500 miles on these tires. And the tread looks to maybe 3/4 of new. I'll do a measurement when it stops raining here.
I like the tires, so they are going back on.

porthole

Retired

Somehow Roy I knew which side of the fence you would be on :rolleyes:

We did have some fun talk though, especially at the rookies expense.

And you are right about the bulletproof. I can't recall though anyone else having a 114 blowout. Gonna stick with them though.

Last edited:

davebennington

Duane,

Sorry about your tire problem.

When we had a tire problem on our old rig, we took pictures, got an estimate for the repairs sent it all in to the claims department and waited for them to tellme if they were going to pay or not. In about 3 weeks later I received a check for the full amount of the repairs and tire.

dave

porthole

Retired

That is what I am counting on Dave.
I suppose it goes along with buying their top rated tires as well.

Not only does everyone that have the 614's and 114's been satisfied with the tires, but when trouble arose, they were equally satisfied. Sometimes you really do get what you pay for.

Cjackg

I have read about blowouts with 3-4 yr old Goodyear G614s but this the first time I have heard of any 17.5 tire blowout...

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired

Glad you guys are safe. I am sure if anyone can work out reimbursement it would be you pal. As for the fireman working and the copper watching remember our roles. You guys want the glory of the work and we provide the safe environment for you to do your job. Now if he was a ESU cop he would have shown you how to do it, LOL.

jbeletti

Bummer. First I've heard of a G114 go like that. See you tomorrow.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador

Duane...when we blew a G614 a few years ago, we also bought 4 new G614s...submitted the Bill along with the repair bill for the damages to the trailer and GY reimbursed us every penny. That's why we stayed with GY when upgrading to the 17.5's...best of luck with your claim.

TXBobcat

Fulltime

I have 114's also. I bought mine Dec 2012. Don't know how many miles I have on them yet but they have a lot of good tread. I only run 110 psi in mine because of the weight on the tires. I used the Goodyear inflation chart to determine the tire pressure. These tires are rated at 4800lbs per tire at maximum pressure of 125psi. 215/75R17.5/H 135L.

Tire Pressure.JPG

It must have been age that everyone talks about. At 5 years new tires no matter how they look. I'll keep that in mind.

BC

porthole

Retired

Bob, I use the chart as well, but only as a rough guide. It is nice to know that even at 100 psi, 99% of us are covered with the load.

I typically run 110 psi cold if only carrying one of the either the bike or golf cart. When both are in, I bump it to 115 psi. Mostly for the rolling resistance though.

My tires have about 21,500 miles on them and are just a few weeks over 5 years old. In August it will be 5 years on the Cyclone. I keep the right side covered when parked at home. And the tread and side walls look great. I would think just on a visual inspection, at least 2 more years out of them.

olcoon

Duane, I'm one of the unusual (I know that will bring some comments!) people in the first responder field. I turned in my application for the local volunteer fire department on my 18th birthday. Prior to that I was the Asst. Chief on the Jr. Fire Department. I actually helped fight fires while on the Jr. FD! After about 20 years I resigned, as by that time I was on the Sheriff's Dept. and there was too much going on with both of them for me to continue with both. I was a LT. when I resigned. I served 30 years in law enforcement retiring as a slick sleeved deputy. For a while it was a toss up as how I should pursue my career. Now I sometimes wish I'd have gone with the fire service, but I really enjoyed law enforcement. I feel I got to help a lot of people, and made a positive impact with my career.

porthole

Retired

The best part about either of those careers are the rewards you get throughout the service - that and retiring with your health.