Need Satellite System installed.

Az_Ernie

We purchased a Winegard Trav'ler Satellite system online. We now need to have it installed. Our 3160EL Bighorn is pre-wired for this satellite system. Can anyone recommend a licensed and bonded satellite system installer in the Phoenix, Az. east valley area? Price is less of an issue than professional and quality workmanship.

Az_Ernie

Thanks DocFather. I may have to have my dealer do the install, but I was hoping to find some place that does good work and charges a bit less than the $130 an hour the dealer has quoted. They tell me that it will take 4 or 5 hours to install.

DocFather

Thanks DocFather. I may have to have my dealer do the install, but I was hoping to find some place that does good work and charges a bit less than the $130 an hour the dealer has quoted. They tell me that it will take 4 or 5 hours to install.

I had my Dealer order the DirecTV Travl'er for me when I bought my 4100. The install was "thrown in" but I figured it actually cost me $250 for the install because that is what I could have saved had I purchased in myself. But I was very pleased with the install.

Az_Ernie

I had my Dealer order the DirecTV Travl'er for me when I bought my 4100. The install was "thrown in" but I figured it actually cost me $250 for the install because that is what I could have saved had I purchased in myself. But I was very pleased with the install.

Before I ordered online I called our dealer for a price and was told that they couldn't buy the system for what I was getting it for online. That's when I asked them what they would charge to install the unit I was buying online - 4 to 5 hrs. @ $130 an hour ($520 - $650) YIKES! Again, if I can't find a any one else that will do a good job at a reasonable price, I may have to go with the dealer.

DocFather

Before I ordered online I called our dealer for a price and was told that they couldn't buy the system for what I was getting it for online. That's when I asked them what they would charge to install the unit I was buying online - 4 to 5 hrs. @ $130 an hour ($520 - $650) YIKES! Again, if I can't find a any one else that will do a good job at a reasonable price, I may have to go with the dealer.

It is a simple install if you know how to hook up the cables and dish. If I was to do it again, and know what I now know, I would do it myself and save that cost. There are several on here who have done that.

Az_Ernie

It is a simple install if you know how to hook up the cables and dish. If I was to do it again, and know what I now know, I would do it myself and save that cost. There are several on here who have done that.
After watching Winegard's install video, I'm pretty sure I can mount the system on the roof, however hooking up the coax cables is another thing. I'll do a little more research online and if I get a few more warm fuzzies, I might try it. The worse that can happen is I'll have to take it in and let the pros hook it up!

DocFather

After watching Winegard's install video, I'm pretty sure I can mount the system on the roof, however hooking up the coax cables is another thing. I'll do a little more research online and if I get a few more warm fuzzies, I might try it. The worse that can happen is I'll have to take it in and let the pros hook it up!

Check your pvt messages. :cool:

Az_Ernie

Well after a bit more research I've decided to do the install myself. I do have a couple of questions to ask someone in the forum who may have done their own install.

1. Were you able to use the mounting hardware that came with the Trav'ler (5/16 X 1 self tapping screws)?

2. Did you have any problems locating the satellite mount support area pre-installed by Heartland and did it provide enough support for the satellite mounting hardware?

3. Did you have any problem locating the pre-wired power cable and coax and their termination points?

If no one is able to answer these questions, I'll contact Heartland and Winegard. Thanks in advance!

Brazos

Ernie,
My dealer installed my Trav'ler on the Bighorn. I have had this same Trav'ler on three rigs now. The first two times I installed myself. I have a location sheet describing the location of roof cable that was in the bag of stuff that came with the rig. I really don't know how accurate the information is and where it would be for your model.

Regarding the support. For all three installs I used the Winegard Sk-008 base plate for additional support. Link: SK-008 It adds a lot of rigidity to the footprint of the Trav'ler. The screws that came with the Trav'ler work just fine.
The plate looks something like this mounted on the roof. Yikes, forget looking at the cardboard on the roof.

DSCN0387.jpg

Az_Ernie

Ernie,
My dealer installed my Trav'ler on the Bighorn. I have had this same Trav'ler on three rigs now. The first two times I installed myself. I have a location sheet describing the location of roof cable that was in the bag of stuff that came with the rig. I really don't know how accurate the information is and where it would be for your model.

Regarding the support. For all three installs I used the Winegard Sk-008 base plate for additional support. Link: SK-008 It adds a lot of rigidity to the footprint of the Trav'ler. The screws that came with the Trav'ler work just fine.
The plate looks something like this mounted on the roof. Yikes, forget looking at the cardboard on the roof.

View attachment 36743
Thanks, Brazos,

The mounting plate sounds like the answer for my support concerns. However, somewhere in my research, I read or was told that the Winegard support wasn't needed with the support plate that Heartland pre-installed for the Trav'ler. I'll give Heartland support a call and verify.