Electric hot water heater isn't working

I have a 2015 Eldridge e30 I can't seem to get the hwh to work on electric I have tried many different things but can't seem to get it right. Just seeing if I'm not doing something right or do I have a problem.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Some coaches have two switches for the AC side of the water heater.
One would be an illuminated switch inside along with a small black rocker switch on the water heater itself.
Is your water heater working on LP?
Another thing worth noting is that if you turned on the water heater with no water in it there is a good chance that you have fried the heating element.

Peace
Dave

I have a illuminated red switch looks like a home light switch. I thought that was for the tank heaters but it may be the water heater I've not tried it. It also does have a switch outside its in the on position. I'll try the light switch and see what that does

olcoon

On our Elk Ridge, the red light switch is also for the water heater, both of them need to be on. If the red light on the switch is lit, and the other switch is in the "on" position, it "should" work. BTW, you can use both electric, and propane at the same time, and it will heat your water faster, and you will have faster recovery if several people are taking showers.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
I have a 2015 Eldridge e30 I can't seem to get the hwh to work on electric I have tried many different things but can't seem to get it right. Just seeing if I'm not doing something right or do I have a problem.

Curious, why would you want to heat hot water??? Sorry, couldn't help myself:angel: welcome to the forum.

olcoon

Well, Dave some of us folks who aren't as enlightened as you prefer our water to be a little warmer than 50 degrees. I realize that living where you do, and having snow on the ground most of the year, you think 50 degrees is hot! Most of us like it a little warmer. Of course possibly you have been snorting too much of that fresh pine scented air, and that has fried your brain! :rolleyes:

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Well, Dave some of us folks who aren't as enlightened as you prefer our water to be a little warmer than 50 degrees. I realize that living where you do, and having snow on the ground most of the year, you think 50 degrees is hot! Most of us like it a little warmer. Of course possibly you have been snorting too much of that fresh pine scented air, and that has fried your brain! :rolleyes:

Yup, if it ain't solid it's warm enough.

If you have an outside shower head, make sure it's turned off. Voices of experience.

I have the outside shower hook up I usally just leave it hooked up as a water hose so I can spray the porch or whatever off. What's the reason I need to unhook it? And the red light switch did work the electric water heater thanks. This is my first camper so still figuring out things lol

danemayer

I have the outside shower hook up I usally just leave it hooked up as a water hose so I can spray the porch or whatever off. What's the reason I need to unhook it? And the red light switch did work the electric water heater thanks. This is my first camper so still figuring out things lol

You don't have to unhook the outside shower but you do need to turn off the faucets. If you leave the faucets open, hot and cold water will mix at the faucet even though you're not using the shower. The result is lukewarm water inside the coach.

kowAlski631

I remember that we were on our first trip in our BH when a fellow camper told us to check the outside shower. I suppose I was whining about the lack of hot water louder than I thought. It's the first thing I think of when I hear that someone is having problems with water temperature.

Martha

simsfmly

Ohio Chapter Leaders-retired
What about the two "rubbery" switches that say "press to reset"? When should those be pressed, and would the inside switch be on or off?

Westwind

You have two thermostat's - one is for the electric side the second is for the gas side. I had my electric fail and my HW Heater would work on gas but not electric. That is what is behind the rubber cover. It's an easy fix if you get the correct part and turn off the electricity before replacing. I took ours to a Camping World to be fixed in warranty and it was a wasted day for a 1/2 hour or less job.
Word to the Wise, when flushing out or replacing your anode rod (Suburban HW Heater) cover the exterior HW heat on/off switch, I didn't, water got to it and I ended up having to have that replaced also. I cover it with tape.