Water heater quit working on electric power, LP gas still works

Dablake15

We bought our travel trailer 3 months ago and we love it so far. We have an existing issue of the water heater not working on electric mode. After opening the panel below the fridge, we have found burnt wires and melted electrical caps. It was a little alarming taking off the panel and seeing electrical tape holding a broken cover and faulty electrical work. We have called the dealer 3 tomes to no avail. Is there an option to have a mobile repair person fix it without cost to us?

Thank you.

jimtoo

Hi Dablake15,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

What kind of trailer do you have? New or used? If we had that information some of our members might give you some help. If you want you might call Heartland Customer Service, 574-262-8030 or 877-262-8032, have your VIN when you call and they might be able to give you an independent service tech that could give you some help.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and let us know what happens.

Jim M

olcoon

From the sounds of things, it almost sounds like this may be a used unit. If it is used, and less than 1 year old, the factory warranty will be void, as it is only good for the original purchaser. If it is used, did you buy an extended warranty, if so that's what will save you. I'd get ahold of the company to see what you need to do. Also if it is used, this is something you'd have to work out with the dealer, if they are one of the good ones, they "should" take care of it, but it will be up to them. If they are close enough, and if it was me, I'd show up at their door and deal with them in person.

If it's a new unit, and you can't get any satisfaction from the dealer, I'd do as Jim suggested, and call Heartland to see what you can do to resolve the issue. Sounds like someone did some pretty bad repair work. Heartland has OK'd a non-Heartland dealer to do warranty work in the past, in certain circumstances, but you'll have to get their approval first. Also they have approved a mobile service company to do repair work under warranty, but I don't think they'll pay for the service call-just the repair work. Again this is with prior approval.