Rear ended

whp4262

I was driving down Azle Avenue in Lake Worth the other day and had just moved into the center turn lane to make a left hand turn into a gas station. Next thing I know this F-150 slams into the back right corner of my truck so I figure we will just turn into the parking lot so we're not blocking the turn lane. Soon as I turn left this guy punches it and takes off down the road. Up to this point I'm not all that upset cause it was just an accident right, but when he takes off that pretty much ****es me off so after him I go. Never really stood on this truck that hard before but much to my surprise a 2013 Duramax dually will break the rear tires loose. Anyway I was gaining on him pretty fast intending to get close enough to get his license number. He tried a couple hard right turns trying to loose me and finally turned into a parking lot where I got the opportunity to box him in. Held him there till the cops showed up. While we were waiting he tried apologizing and offered me $50.00 for the damage to my truck. Told him he should have thought about that before he put me in a bad mood by making me chase him. Anyway turns out he had no insurance, no license, expired tags on his truck and got an additional charge of fleeing from the scene of an accident. Just got the estimate for my truck and it did $1100.00 in damage, $250.00 of that comes out of my pocket as a deductible on my insurance because he didn't have any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Lynn1130

Talk with your agent. They can/and sometimes will go after him to recover the deductible which is then refunded to you. Considering he is a dirt-bag anyway they may not get it but it is worth a try.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
The only thing I can say is WOW - you got guts going after him. Yes he was wrong for leaving the scene but he could've had a gun and really endangered your life.

whp4262

He should have gone to jail. Little satisfaction for your truck damage though.

When I left the police were still there. I'm pretty sure his truck got towed and I'm guessing he got a trip to jail.

whp4262

The only thing I can say is WOW - you got guts going after him. Yes he was wrong for leaving the scene but he could've had a gun and really endangered your life.

Actually I thought about that and expected it so I had a plan. But I am glad that it didn't go there. What worried me more was if he got away with it and there might have been a next time where someone else might have been hurt.

pegmikef

Talk with your agent. They can/and sometimes will go after him to recover the deductible which is then refunded to you. Considering he is a dirt-bag anyway they may not get it but it is worth a try.

My daughter's car was hit when parked on the side of the road and the dirt bag fled. The police got him and same deal, no insurance, etc and the damage to the car was a little over 10K. My insurance (car is mine) paid the damages (less deductible), but what I didn't know is they assign a case worker to it and go after the guy's assets, wages, anything to recover their loss. My agents said that they often set up payment plans to recover the money.

GOTTOYS

Funny you should mention that. Pretty much the same thing happened to me a week ago. A young girl clobbered us when we were turning right. She didn't even stop. Chased her down and found her parked behind some bushes in a gas station a couple or more blocks down. I did better than you. I was offered $100.00. Called the cops, she has insurance, Dad's car. I bet his rates go out of sight. She sweet talked the cop how she was going to walk back to the scene. I guess that explains why her brakelights were on when I pulled just after I watched her get back in the car. I too blocked her in. My damage was $1100. That hundred bucks wouldn't have gone too far....I was furious. Not because I got hit, because she didn't stop....Cop told me I could leave while he was still talking to her. I'm thinking they were glad to see me go...Don

sgtbigb

If you file the under uninsured motors, the insurance company is obligated to go after him for your deductible!

whp4262

If you file the under uninsured motors, the insurance company is obligated to go after him for your deductible!

That's what I did also cut my deductible in half by filing under uninsured motorist. It was kind of funny because when I first reported it the lady lectured me in a nice way about chasing him down. When she got the police report she called back and thanked me for getting him off the road.

Jim.Allison

In Texas you can demand that the officer impound the uninsured vehicle until the debt is paid. Just another little unknown fact about Texas insurance laws. If you are hurt, he also loses his license.

Wmnmy

I hear y'all I deal with these type of people everyday it's unreal how many flee the scene of a accident both on foot and in vehicles and 9 times outta ten they don't have insurance or drivers license or they have warrants and don't want to go to jail . Yes they tell you not to follow but if you don't get any information like license plate or description of driver we can't do anything but give you a report with your info on it for your insurance . It burns my @$$ when they do this because they don't care if your hurt or not and believe me I would follow them too our deductible are high enough and why should we have to pay for someone else's mistakes and intentional acts sorry had to vent feel better now ...

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
How much is your own life worth to you . . . $50 . . . $100?

Don't try to outrun a turbo diesel, no matter what the make. LOL. It ain't your grandpa's diesel.

Or the 4.10 rear end I have in my 2015 Silverado 2500HD gasser . . .

That thing has got some get up and go!

As for chasing people down . . .

I just spent this whole last week serving on a jury trial for a criminal case involving second degree assult with a deadly weapon and first degree kidnapping charges.

Started out as a bar fight, which then turned into a beating with a pool que stick and several beer bottles, then escalated outside when the defendant tried to leave the scene, and as he and his cohort in the attack tried to leave the scene in their car, a bouncer tried to pull the defendant out of the car when the defendant grabbed the bouncer and pulled him partly inside of the car, then they drove off with the bouncer hanging out of the door, then sideswiped several cars trying to injure or kill the bouncer!

All of the parties involved, including the 'victim', were a bunch of scary dudes that I hope I never run into anywhere!

After spending a week with this . . . I definately will not chase or confront anyone I don't know unless I have backup.

It is just not worth it . . .

Get their license plate and dial 911 . . . don't try to stop them or detain them period!

The worst part of my jury . . . we had to find the defendant not guilty on the kidnapping charge as the prosecution just didn't do a good job presenting their case, and ended up in a hung jury with all of the other charges.

He had a good defense lawyer (who was also paid for by the public's dime), who played this perfectly as he knew that the prosecutor didn't prove his case!

While the defendant may be faced with some other charges . . . chances are they will get dropped and he will be free to go and will probably find himself in the courthouse again in the near future for some other similar event that hasn't happened yet!