Project LM 365

Nbomar

Thanks Jim
I sent the pictures and an email to Chris at AMP Resurch too. Hopefully they will make some changes to there current Bedstep2​ mounting and make it better for there future customers.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I agree. I've had the same step for 2 years on my gmc. Same complaint you had. I've told myself I was going to fab a bracket like you did, just never got around to it. Good job as usual sir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Thanks it's not perfect but it's going to do the trick. I think I'll make another one for the other side too. It will be nice to actually get into the toolbox and be able to reach the hitch.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Back from powder coating already. Less then 24 hours. It's nice to have good people in the right places.
This thing came out awesome. I did have some (bone head) problems with my new welder so I had to use my small one. (Fixed now)
That's why my welds look like bird poop.
Anyway it done and mounted. It is now in the perfect position now. I can reach the safety pin, the release lever, and get into the tool box with no problem.
When I make the one for the other side I will use a lighter gauge steel for the sides and back. I'll stay with the 1/4 on the top plate.
Here's more pictures

14cec5393e12756c1c26d1509a2ab32a.jpg

These holes were already in the frame and I had this clip in my drawer of goodies.

4f898a246b669b4ca4c5acab5e161d27.jpg

66a45cfa33a34c3bc0485dfadf48d86c.jpg

d1f9f2adca70649d86292760ce33996a.jpg

Project done 😎

CarterKraft

My buddies Chevy has the same problem and for the life of me I can't figure out why AMP hasn't addressed it.:confused:
The mount location of their stop is totally wrong for the intended use.:mad:

Great execution by the way. Cardboard Aided Drafting at it's finest.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Thanks I had to pat myself on the back with this one. LOL
Not only did it come out really nice looking. Unfortunately no one will see it....
I has completely changed the usefulness of the step from today forward.
Now instead of saying "how stupid this step is"
I'll be smiling and saying
"how nice is this step" 😎
I'll start the other side in a few weeks. We have a bunch of trips planed for the next 6 weeks
So we'll see how it goes.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Gosh I really need to double check my posts right after I post them.
Doing this on a small phone that I can't see is tuff.

sjandbj

Jerrod,
That step is done well. That is what I need on my new Ford. I do not have the welding talent nor the tools to cut out the metal. Enjoy the one of a kind mod.

Regards,
Steve

Oregon_Camper

......I'll start the other side in a few weeks. We have a bunch of trips planed for the next 6 weeks
So we'll see how it goes.

If you happen to make an extra one by mistake, I'd be happy to take it off your hands. :) Love my Amp step, but my arms need to be about another foot longer to reach everything on the hitch.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I have a friend that just bought a 2014 Dodge DRW. with those big old Dodge fenders sticking out he can't even reach the **** hitch. It's the B&W so he needs to pull the pin and then pull the lever to release.
I just came up with this little contraption. When it's done he will be able to do everything standing on the ground.
I hope it works 🤔

731d2078cb892b3b32a07725d30af63d.jpg

I'll repost when it's done and working.

jbeletti

I have a friend that just bought a 2014 Dodge DRW. with those big old Dodge fenders sticking out he can't even reach the **** hitch. It's the B&W so he needs to pull the pin and then pull the lever to release.
I just came up with this little contraption. When it's done he will be able to do everything standing on the ground.
I hope it works 🤔

731d2078cb892b3b32a07725d30af63d.jpg

I'll repost when it's done and working.

Please move to Colorado Springs and be my neighbor!

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Please move to Colorado Springs and be my neighbor!
Never know Jim maybe some day.!!!!!

Here is the final product before powder coating.

I'll drill a 3/8" hole in the release lever just past the rubber grab handle. Then you will be able to insert that little tab into the hole to push or pull the lever.
The hook on the end will insert into the ring on the pin, to lift it out or drop it in. I made a extra long pin so it will not bounce out.
I'll drill 1 more hole in the lever to house the pin when not hitched to the trailer.

I think it's going to work out well for him.

efe257c903df60f3ba52e5b75a1b0add.jpg

Just added a small magnet to the end to steady the pin or to pic it up when you drop it..

82d071ed67e83f1aebdc3e95a7b36799.jpg

3ef7ee161899e297cf29c5d326c7da2b.jpg

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Dan I'm not sure I could handle the cold weather over there. I like our year round camping in 40° to 90° temps...
Below 40° requires a little to much work to keep things from freezing up, including me !!!!

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

My buddy's B&W lever project is done minus the powder coating. This afternoon we were able to install the teflon plate and drill the two holes in the handle. here are a few pictures and a video of the operation. This is on a 2014 Dodge DRW with the big fenders. No ladders, No step stools, No climbing into the back of the truck. you can do it all standing on the ground !!!!
He loves it ��
I JB welded the magnet to the bar, it makes it a lot easier to control the pin when putting it into the holes. This video is me standing on the ground, I can reach the hitch and operate the lever with ease. It really worked better then expected.
I also installed two magnets inside the bed rail to house the lever when not in use. No searching for it, it's right where you need it when you need it. I will send it out to powder coating tomorrow morning and he will have it back in a few day.

here's the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv4IOEJe1nY&feature=youtu.be

Here is the safety pin cover video
https://youtu.be/R0fUpAhxgbw

9b675bb616857ae1c07f2def2b82d7e0.jpg

1fef60b4628584bd6cfbe2a9aa96e994.jpg

Drilled 2 holes in the handle. 1 for pin storage and the other to insert the rod into.

274743762344d44978deac020798803d.jpg

c1c9af38f8688a94b908c8baff2e5cc8.jpg

5948fd9c5429cdb82d0509dc542c72b5.jpg

Here's the finished product. I'm calling it my "T-Rex bar" for people with short arms that can't reach there hitch !!! LOL :)

df94d9b4a290537604bf37ca60a15109.jpg

2ddf8a5ac687212285850ebdd669e1a4.jpg

67ed604c3f8d03229837efe1e3156904.jpg

284f6c3fee0e40e60379d2eedd6fc26d.jpg

Last edited:

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Nice project Jerrod!
Thanks Jim
This one could be really useful for a lot of then out there with the B&W hitches. I have my new step that works for me, but this thing works so well I think I'm going to make myself one.
Now I'm working on a quick latch for the safety pin and the brakeaway cable.

Thanks for the comments.

Jerrod

Kathi-27

Jerrod great idea on hitch rod. will be making one soon. could you tell me where you got the little round magnets.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Sorry but I have no idea. LOL
I found it in one of my junk drawers.
I know that tap plastic had a bunch of little tiny powerful magnets on there counter. I'm going to go get some when I get back home next week.
The ones I used to hang the rod inside the bed I found at Home depot.
Sorry I couldn't give you a better answer.

Jerrod