Project LM 365

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

It's time to play a new game of "WHAT IS THAT"

Only one of the options will be used

Rhonda DW got it on her first guess. But I think she kinda knew what I was working on.

0be5b406b0c3b6728ee11640cdf17943.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

This is a safety cover​ to go over the safety pin in the Companion hitch.
It works in conjunction with my T-Rex bar.
Now you can do the entire hitching and unhitching with the bar from the ground. And have a good safety on that pin. No more worry's about the pin bouncing out.

Here's some pictures and the YouTube video

https://youtu.be/R0fUpAhxgbw

This is a piece of metal I had in the junk drawer that gave me something to start with.

82c2ba2d12bd3c6b0c820d547ab20bb7.jpg

Then I made one out of cardboard. Much easier to tweak the design.

4c14a01af1cf027420045f0ef60bb8a1.jpg

f011407a1eede8c80d2fab4679f2daff.jpg

4d6a14cbc39de6c47a469629e5b87635.jpg

2f7c1129001912a02d1cdb6ea07057d5.jpg

Then on to some 3/8" Teflon plate.

This one is for Tony's hitch and pin that I made last week.

94dbdaa3f3869caa086515ef8ec7c1ff.jpg

8b2d1c6f0e0fb3882e6c2977cdd4c71f.jpg

This in mine

67ed604c3f8d03229837efe1e3156904.jpg

284f6c3fee0e40e60379d2eedd6fc26d.jpg

b356db930ccfa28135e8d9ddad328767.jpg

86d2eb9b1c2fd1bf67db0d2ffe075a49.jpg

4d148df6384b89c9bf9bc05ee9f55cec.jpg

Sorry I ran out of daylight so pictures are dark

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Dave with the Companion hitch, it always seems to be the same hitched or unhitched. With the way the cam system works inside there's not much tension on the lever.
Now my old Reese hitch forget it !!!! I couldn't pull it if it had tension on it. I about ripped my arm off a few times trying. LOL
I used it yesterday whis the trailer and it worked perfectly.
Now with the pin safety I don't have to worry about that anymore.
Of course time will tell if I can make it better or need to change anything.

Thanks for the reply
Jerrod

Bones

Dave with the Companion hitch, it always seems to be the same hitched or unhitched. With the way the cam system works inside there's not much tension on the lever.
Now my old Reese hitch forget it !!!! I couldn't pull it if it had tension on it. I about ripped my arm off a few times trying. LOL
I used it yesterday whis the trailer and it worked perfectly.
Now with the pin safety I don't have to worry about that anymore.
Of course time will tell if I can make it better or need to change anything.

Thanks for the reply
Jerrod

thanks for the info on your hitch. I have had quite a few time where the truck was at an angle and the trailer at another and the hitch bound and it was very difficult to get unhitched. I think I will add this hitch on a future improvement maybe.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Ya I wasn't sure what to do for the new truck. After having the 2 Reese hitches in the last 10 years and never really having a problem with them. I wasn't sure if I wanted to try something new.
I'm glad I did !!!!
The only negative on this B&W was that it was had to reach to release. The Reese you could just reach over the fender.
But most of the on the Reese it was a PITA to if there was any tension on it.
Now with my T-REX bar I've solve that problem.

Very happy with the B&W Companion hitch

Bones

Ya I wasn't sure what to do for the new truck. After having the 2 Reese hitches in the last 10 years and never really having a problem with them. I wasn't sure if I wanted to try something new.
I'm glad I did !!!!
The only negative on this B&W was that it was had to reach to release. The Reese you could just reach over the fender.
But most of the on the Reese it was a PITA to if there was any tension on it.
Now with my T-REX bar I've solve that problem.

Very happy with the B&W Companion hitch

Since you have had both do you get the same amount of play in the B&W compared to the reese? Mine seem to have a lot of play with the pin and the head. Sloppy set up I think on the reese?

sjandbj

Since you have had both do you get the same amount of play in the B&W compared to the reese? Mine seem to have a lot of play with the pin and the head. Sloppy set up I think on the reese?

I had a older Reese hitch and it was always a rib buster trying to release it if there was any pressure on the jaws. With the new B&W hitch I can release it with two fingers and the coupling is nice and tight. I am so glad that I chose the B&W over the Reese for my new Ford.

Steve

CarterKraft

When my FIL had the B&W I always thought a morse cable on bed side clamp would be perfect to disengage the pin. I was thinking something like the Anderson Ultimate or PullRite hitches have.

Your solution is simpler and won't leave you stranded in the event a part fails or is lost, simple pins are easy to come by vs. a specific cable.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I have that swing up bar that I made back in 2015 that works great.
I can grab the cable hook with the magnet and bring it to me, then clip it on my bar as I swing it up. All from the ground !!!!

510b7f19fb101c8d52f7c9d034f83939.jpg

edec19dc40f5ddd1098854e562c9c7e8.jpg

a0a19555dc46dbda720c2174eb3e96a5.jpg

146c2009cb881c641b8adf90f977619b.jpg

carl.swoyer

With my Reese hitch I put the truck in reverse and gently roll back to release the tension.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Ya that's what I've always had to do also. That puts unwanted tension on the front landing jacks.
With the B&W you don't have to do that. It will release easily every time.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I agree, maybe I am lucky no leaks

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
I'm not worried about leaks as much. I'm more worried about bending the ram from pushing back on it with the truck with the legs sitting firmly on the ground and the extra traction of the SnapPads. I think they'll bend before they'll slide.
So I've always been very cautious when pushing back on them to release that darn Reese hitch.
Well now with the B&W it's no longer a issue.