Project LM 365

porthole

Retired
Squeaky wheel - squeak louder!
You are not the first Landmark 365 to have a rear cap failing off. First one I saw was a 2 month old unit that pulled into Goshen with the to the top end completely separated and ready to fall off.

The problem with this blueprint drawing is all the structure is shown as being attached. In reality, all the lumber is stapled, sometimes with the pieces butted against each other and sometimes not.

I called Heartland and he wasn't to concerned and said my warranty was expired after the 2 years.
Not much help to me.
He did send me a picture of the structure
23f6ac5068ae872e58e463e90170257c.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Those look like Kreg (or some knockoff) 2.5", soft wood, pocket hole screws.

For pocket-hole joinery they work great - but they are not made for lateral stress, they are designed for compression of the wood members, and specifically for cabinet joinery - rails and stiles.

- - - Updated - - -

When we bought the Cyclone I did a trip out to Indiana and toured 4 of the big toy hauler companies. The all hardwood, pocket hole construction is one of the main points in buying the Cyclone. Vinyl wrapped rails and stiles with staple construction is what turned me off to many toy haulers at the time.

Now I found that my island side panel was coming off. Looking in a little deeper I see the whole end of my island frame is dropping down over the pedistool. Because of shotty construction and poor design. They just used staples to make the base. They are all bending and pulling out.

I will raise it back up and put some more supports then use screws to reinforce it
e2aa2ba946f512106a99ea547b4fd211.jpg
61c39d93c58ccbd0123298152bbe7739.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
Now I just need to work on my charging issue.

I don't recall what I posted earlier about the charging system.

But what I can tell you having a truck with twin alternators and 350+ amps output is nothing that you will ever see at the bumper.

The charging system will output what the various body computers determine based on input received, mostly what is at the batteries.

If you have looked at any o your wiring you would see it is barely adequate for the circuit involved.

Look at the wires for the up-fitter switches - I would never try and push 25 amps continuously through that 25 amp circuit.

The 7 way is turned off when the truck is off. And unless it has changed with the 2017 MY, almost every circuit is turned on and off with a relay.

My 7 way voltage is typically 14+ running, until I put a load on it.
In the pin box it is typically .5 -1 volt less, and in the basement bus bar it is about 1 volt lower.

Running my inverter full time while traveling, I have never had 'charged' batteries when we arrived at a campground.
My pass through inverter supplies all the AV stuff plus outlets in the garage, running an ice maker and maybe my electric cooler

That all said. I do have 4/0 welding cable (positive and negative) running from the starter motor to the rear bumper terminating with an industrial battery connector.

With that I can run a 3000 watt inverter running a 1500 ceramic heater. That pulls around 160 amps.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Looks like I cought this in the nick of time..
We have not updated our log yet but when we do I'll post the exact mileage. I'm guessing about 15K on these pads from when I did the disk brake install.

47bf4391175197c23240da373a4c857b.jpg
e5e8bf0b906eb0d11c0789382d01f6f6.jpg
d7155261078a219d5c90fbd1c0102fb9.jpg
96381bf3d083d8c58b6c75a1ea0d68b1.jpg

kbausano

Looks like I cought this in the nick of time..
We have not updated our log yet but when we do I'll post the exact mileage. I'm guessing about 15K on these pads from when I did the disk brake install.

47bf4391175197c23240da373a4c857b.jpg
e5e8bf0b906eb0d11c0789382d01f6f6.jpg
d7155261078a219d5c90fbd1c0102fb9.jpg
96381bf3d083d8c58b6c75a1ea0d68b1.jpg

Not sure what you’re showing here - are the pads worn excessively, or did something break?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kbausano

Sorry Ken
Yes the brake pads are shot. Left rear outer pad was almost down to bear metal.

Anybody know what typical life we should be getting from trailer disk brakes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

That is the standard GM brake pad set part number. Available just about everywhere.
I told the guy at the parts counter that before I got a part number and he laughed at me. I tried to get him to go grab a 1/2ton GM box off the shelf to see if they matched and he wouldn't do it. Luckily I got the part number from Michael the new Titan Guy and was able to give it to the parts guy.
I'm set not. Going to use a premium set of pads on all 4.

BusManRG

So based on your experience and one of the other posts, it’s appears that about 12,000 miles is the life expectancy of a set of brake pads? That doesn’t sound like much? Just filing the knowledge away for the future.

Sandy

BusManRG

All of you that can access yours from behind the taillights, I would get in there now and reinforce it asap. That will save the center screws that we can't get to.

You answered my question before I could even ask it! Do you think that we should all go in and do some reinforcing before anything can happen. And of course when I say we, I really mean Rich, LOL!

Sandy

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

So based on your experience and one of the other posts, it’s appears that about 12,000 miles is the life expectancy of a set of brake pads? That doesn’t sound like much? Just filing the knowledge away for the future.

Sandy
Sandy I will get the exact mileage soon as we update our log. But I drive a bit aggressive so my brakes may go a bit faster then most.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Had a busy day yesterday.
I figured out how to pull off the trim on the rear cap all the way up to where the silicone had separated. I found a few brocken screws that hold the rear cap. (This was from the rear wall being detached from the subfloor.) I moved all of the screws up about an inch and added some more. Then put it all back together. Today I need to reseal it with new silicone caulking.

cabaaa3d1056083f17a1c402da338404.jpg
7517cebed751ae5eb705e6dcbb4570af.jpg

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I also did the new brake pads and repacked all of the wheel bearings. While I had the tires off replaced 1 tire and balanced all 4. Replacing that 1 tire is what started this all. That's when I found out how bad my brake pads were. All of the wheel bearings looked really good, I did have a little bit of discoloration of the grease from heat on the left rear. But not bad at all.
As you can see in the pictures I had just done my new Dexter HD shackle and equalizer kit that I won at the Jackson CA. rally last year. I think we are about ready to hit the road again. :)

The tire I replaced had a flat spot on it and was getting worse on every trip.

ca5ff510653a41c835521f72b809d13a.jpg

0e82fe27cbfc522ceb157da5ad14d7e5.jpg

23e6482d495aa4c5f4b36cc8b28f8e63.jpg

f771bdb65877d308cdab85560deb4c9a.jpg

It's sure is nice to be able to work on it right on the side of my house. I even have shade.

604e430047c57ae778509c2e851a42c4.jpg