Project LM 365

windviewer

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

TPS saved the day
Yesterday we hooked up and headed out. As we're we're heading down our street the TPS monitor started beeping and said I had a right rear trailer tire at 80psi (I run them at 110psi) so at first I thought maybe it just hasn't linked with the truck yet and carried on then as it did it's rotation it came up again. So we stopped at Les Schwab and had it checked. I was low so I used the Level-up to jack up the trailer and spin it to look for something in the tire. We couldn't see anything and decided to stick it in the dunk tank. I grabbed my Dewalt 1/2 impact and had it off before he could find an air gun. LOL
They are fast !! But I'm faster..
Sure enough there was a nail in the tire. Tom had it plugged and patched in no time at all and we were on the road again.
Thanks Mike and Tom at the Tracy Les Schwab...
If I didn't have the TPS monitor I probably would have eventually damage the tire and had a blowout. We all know what that can do to the side of the trailer.
All in all I think the TPS has paid for itself a few times over.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

TikiDawg

Which system do you have? Are the monitors inside or outside of the wheels?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Outside and not the ones with the replaceable batteries
They said these one will last about 4 or 5 years
I figured they will have a bigger better one by then for me to try.

TikiDawg

Will they work on extended dually valve stems? Where the inner dually stem comes through the the outer wheel.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

You'll have to check mine out
6807f708e67e970dc9b9e8f2bfaf4542.jpg
6b99f084ae723df690803e3adff7c544.jpg

danemayer

TPS saved the day
Yesterday we hooked up and headed out. As we're we're heading down our street the TPS monitor started beeping and said I had a right rear trailer tire at 80psi (I run them at 110psi)

Hi Jerrod,

Goodyear says that a tire underinflated by 20% is considered to have been "run flat" and depending how fast you were going and how far, might have permanent damage. In those situations, they recommend dismounting the tire for inspection by a qualified person - by which I assume they mean a Wingfoot employee. If you were limping along at 40 mph for 4 or 5 miles, maybe no worries. But if at 65 mph for 30 miles, I'd get it inspected.

If not Goodyear, the same advice probably applies, but Wingfoot might not be interested.

carl.swoyer

I use the valor TPMS. It has saved me twice! Both times,same tire had a chunk of metal in it. I did buy the extra tire insurance $500.00 for five years . So two tires replaced and zero deductible. I think it paid to buy the tire insurance.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Dan thanks for the advice.
I drove 10 miles on it at 80psi
I'm 110% confident that the tire is fine.
We did dismount the tire and it looks fine.
Running a tire at 20 or 30psi can definitely do some damage to it, but at 80psi you couldn't even tell it was low by looking at it.
In the last 20 years I have logged over 1.5 million miles on my on my big rig.
I have 36 trailers on the highway with 8 tires each, that's 288 tires on the road. That's scary to think when I add it up.
And had many blow outs in that time.
With that said I trust my experience over a guy at the tire shop trying to sell me a new tire when I don't really need one.
Not that Les Schwab has ever done that ��

Last edited:

jnbhobe

I wonder what they are saying, 20% of what, the max inflation or the psi needed to support the load it's carrying. They are all trying to cover their butts, not trying to help you.

danemayer

Jerrod,

I didn't take it that way.

Jon,

From the GY docs I've read, if the load requires 100 psi and you're below 80, the additional flex can damage the tire. This despite how it looks from the outside. Speed and distance are factors. They use the term "run flat" to emphasize their view that <80% can cause enough damage that it may result in what tire engineers call a "run flat failure" which we generally call a blowout.

Is it the engineers writing, or is it their lawyers. No way of knowing. I pass it along as free advice and anyone is free to assign whatever value they think it deserves.

Garypowell

Keep an eye on the other tire on that side since for those miles it was carrying most if not all the load. I don't know how many times but it seems to me many times folks report a blow out and then have another one shortly after that on the same side.

In your favor is it did not blow and you were not at high speed......just a word of caution for others.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Update on our new Dish Travler-1000
WE LOVE IT !!!!
What a difference from the little King Dish we've been using.
The HD quality is a lot better too especially in the bedroom, now that there's a Wally in there.