Project LM 365

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Who knows I've only seen my tires go up to about 123 PSI
My thoughts are they only read up to 125psi I don't think going over that will hurt them but who knows.
It won't hurt anything to find out !!!!

It's like a pressure gauge that goes up to 100psi if you hit it with 150 psi it still only reads 100psi but it doesn't hurt it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

IronJ

I wanted to comment about the brakes on the new F350...
With to GMC I have always had trouble in a panic stopping situation. Also I was getting a pulsating peddle going down big mountains. I turned the rotors and it didn't make a difference, so I install all new brakes and new rotors... STILL DOES IT. Also set the trailer brakes at 10 Max and they really don't seem to do much.
I have the Titan disc brakes here to install but I wanted to try the same setup with the new ford before I installed the new brakes.
Well I cant feel much of a difference on the drum from the GMC to the Ford !!!!
Driving the GMC I always had to worry about if something happened in front of me would I be able to stop in time, and where I was going to be able bale out to one side or the other. I've had a few close calls that scared the you know what out of me. Truck set on 10 and peddle to the floor

Well the other night on our first trip with the new Ford we were going down a hill following a empty cattle truck when the stop light at the bottom of the hill turn yellow then red and the truck did a quick stop and so did we. The Ford stopped us with no effort at all and I could of stopped even sooner. My GMC I would of had to bale out to the left or to the right of the cattle truck I know it wouldn't have stopped in time. That's why I bought the disc brakes.

I will still be installing the disc brakes very soon and will have that much more piece of mind while traveling
Same here...the stock brakes on my ford blow my old (if a 2012 is old?) Dodge brakes out of the water...no comparison whatsoever in a panic stop situation...

I am (in the spirit of why not and wasting more money) installing the Wildwood big brake kit and titan discs over the winter.....so yeah...I don't think I'll have a stopping issue anywhere in the near future!!

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Today's project is going Well :)
I cut down a band sensor bracket, drilled a hole and bolted the sensor to it with 6-32 × 1/2 cap screw and lock nut.
8bf7878e04bf2f946039f4e5f50fa044.jpg

cc85990210b668f5cf0344fc10040dee.jpg

efae5f3c4f18fd06161ab74ed32d9721.jpg

477ef108470fc3e586ce9d0d6bf5e41a.jpg

34d05283e5dfefb20b6d40e7b306f857.jpg

49050725ddc90105b30bd28aea51fae7.jpg

Now I need to make 3 more

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Now I'm working on getting the plug for the rear camera and TPMS into the bed of the truck.
I don't understand what ford was thinking to not have the option of in the bed or on the bumper.
It's just dumb !!!!
Now I have to modify the whole thing to do it right.
I need to come up with a plastic box to to install the plug into and cut the wire harness under the bed then add about 3' into the harness to reach the new in bed plug.

Hopefully they will get smart and give you the option on the 2018

porthole

Retired
Now I'm working on getting the plug for the rear camera and TPMS into the bed of the truck.
I don't understand what ford was thinking to not have the option of in the bed or on the bumper.
It's just dumb !!!!
Now I have to modify the whole thing to do it right.
I need to come up with a plastic box to to install the plug into and cut the wire harness under the bed then add about 3' into the harness to reach the new in bed plug.

Hopefully they will get smart and give you the option on the 2018

The odds are pretty good you will find a connector under the bed.

Not all trucks have the camera option.

Last edited:

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

The odds are pretty good you will find a connector under the bed.

Not all trucks have that option.0

Duane there is a plug under the bed above the spare tire. But the cord is only about 10" long just enough to reach the bumper plug when you install the new one. I'm going to drop the spare tire and see how much of the 7 wires I can get out of the OEM harness. I need at least 3' and I don't think I'll even be close to that.
So my next dilemma is adding in a few feet of wire to the 7 wires I think i need to use solder connections so I don't loose any camera picture quality.

Now on to another mod I'm doing. I just ran a wire back from my #4 upfitter switch going to the in bed plug. I want to connect it into the center pin "Backup Lights" so my Trailer backup lights (soon to be installed) will come on when I put it in reverse OR I can turn them on with my #4 upfitter switch any time I want. Making backing into a space at night a whole lot easier. I wonder if powering that wire is going to back feed back in to the truck system and cause any issues ?

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Duane there is a plug under the bed above the spare tire. But the cord is only about 10" long just enough to reach the bumper plug when you install the new one. I'm going to drop the spare tire and see how much of the 7 wires I can get out of the OEM harness. I need at least 3' and I don't think I'll even be close to that.
So my next dilemma is adding in a few feet of wire to the 7 wires I think i need to use solder connections so I don't loose any camera picture quality.

?

Why would you go cutting splicing and soldering when these are available???
https://m.summitracing.com/parts/cht-56070/none/images

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

No that is for the regular 7-way cord. I'm talking about the 12 pin harness for Ford's trailer rear camera and TPMS sensors system.
It's a whole separate plug setup.

I wish it was that easy !!!

Here you can see the top 7-way plug and the bottom 12pin plug

8b14e91cc3b11eb065cf8b143d652202.jpg

That plug was designed by Ford to replace the bumper 7 & 4 way plug in the bumper.
But no option of putting it in the bed.
I guess they think everyone wants to pull a bumper trailer or run the cord over there tailgate.

I am building a box to be able to mount the new double plug into the bed where I need it.

498215aa32e71143acd68abeabe14bcc.jpg

8f24ffeb3408270f014a561f167d7860.jpg

3e8de44d80e702a2ace53f8b5c3ec969.jpg

More to come.....

porthole

Retired
Now on to another mod I'm doing. I just ran a wire back from my #4 upfitter switch going to the in bed plug. I want to connect it into the center pin "Backup Lights" so my Trailer backup lights (soon to be installed) will come on when I put it in reverse OR I can turn them on with my #4 upfitter switch any time I want. Making backing into a space at night a whole lot easier. I wonder if powering that wire is going to back feed back in to the truck system and cause any issues ?

Toyhaulershavefloodlights

errrgghh

Toy haulers have flood lights from the factory. I ran a 12 gauge wire from the pin box back to those lights. They are already "switched" in the garage, but I wanted the convenience of backup lights, since I might on occasion, have to back at night :rolleyes:

https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/11365-And-so-it-begins?p=135436&viewfull=1#post135436

I haven't had an issue yet, and I did this 2 trucks and 6 years ago. Although I wasn't looking to add power from the up-fitter. Reverse is good enough for me. And on the rare times that I may still be connected to the truck and turn those lights on from the garage switch - the truck is disconnected when the key is off. The Ford's have separate circuits and relays for just about everything on the truck.

Now, while your at it, and a mod I haven't done but is still on the list, a switch to disconnect the truck's backup lights when connected to the trailer 👍 👀

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Toyhaulershavefloodlights

errrgghh

Toy haulers have flood lights from the factory. I ran a 12 gauge wire from the pin box back to those lights. They are already "switched" in the garage, but I wanted the convenience of backup lights, since I might on occasion, have to back at night :rolleyes:

https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/11365-And-so-it-begins?p=135436&viewfull=1#post135436

I haven't had an issue yet, and I did this 2 trucks and 6 years ago. Although I wasn't looking to add power from the up-fitter. Reverse is good enough for me. And on the rare times that I may still be connected to the truck and turn those lights on from the garage switch - the truck is disconnected when the key is off. The Ford's have separate circuits and relays for just about everything on the truck.

Now, while your at it, and a mod I haven't done but is still on the list, a switch to disconnect the truck's backup lights when connected to the trailer 👍 👀

Good Idea my new trucks backup lights are LED I think and they are super bright reflecting off the front of the white trailer. I might just look into doing that.

CarterKraft

When I have done that in the past it didn't back feed because the backup lights were on a relay which effectively acted as a diode (open) when the truck wasn't actually in R. If the new trucks backup lights aren't relay driven you might have to diode or relay the circuit. I still don't understand why the factory floods on the TH's aren't connected to the reverse lights...

- - - Updated - - -

Good Idea my new trucks backup lights are LED I think and they are super bright reflecting off the front of the white trailer. I might just look into doing that.

A latching circuit would be cool there, so it would reset on the next key cycle. Might keep from driving around with out back up lights, you would know they were off at night but during the day other drivers would not be able to use the back up lights to determine your intention in a parking lot etc...

Who am I kidding no one knows how to drive anymore LOL.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Another teaser....
I have a plan for mounting the double plug in the bed.
More to come
a84215dafd00738efc87dcdaec72557a.jpg

f2ee7fc83d1cac48e526da089924f011.jpg

I found these plastic boxes online for $3.00 and order 3 of them so if I mess up I can start over. Then shortly after that I found that they have the aluminum boxes. Perfect $17 I think.

18943c8cf38eee0a2310d7f67981cb40.jpg

The aluminum box will hold up to the abuse of plugging and unplugging the cord.

I will make up the custom box and then run it down to have it sprayed with the bed liner material to make it look factory. I hope !!!

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

You can kinda get an idea of what I'm doing here.
7a931b359277111987c64dd44a0cec3f.jpg

1f82223ff5454ff99ffab73ae1b755e9.jpg

37dae202d18e45e7103e3284563d488a.jpg

cae6ca9b14c5f258e351d3f0bb008515.jpg

I'll need a bigger backing plate of course as this was some scrap I had but you get the idea.
678e8402df73d0328458aacf0df618cf.jpg

IronJ

As my wife tells me..."your already cutting up a BRAND NEW VEHICLE".....

some people just don't understand the nature of a craftsman!!...

Good job sir!!

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

CarterKraft

Nice toy, one of the best tools in my shop.

Really makes you wonder how you got along without it.

I converted mine to steel cutting @ 100 SFPM. What is the slowest it will run?

CarterKraft

2 speed haven't looked at the specs on that yet.
I just ordered some timber wolf blades for it 1 is 18tpi

Gotcha, looks like the speeds are 1630/2730 FPM so you'll just have to be careful on ferrous metals. 18TPI will be good but you might want to be allot slower depending on what your cutting. 100 FPM is a normal steel speed. There are a ton of conversions on the web that use some jack shafts and gear reduction to get slow the speeds. They even allow the original belt to be slipped back on for high speed use. I used a 60RPM gear motor but it ruins your wood, plastic etc. cutting.

Here's a thread on mine from when I converted it.

And if I am preaching to the choir just tell me to shut up! :)