Carbon Monoxide Detector Beeping.

Donna.

I have a 2014 Heartland Bighorn and my carbon monoxide detector is beeping in the bedroom. Has this happened to anyone? I don't know if I need to change the batteries or if it is actually detecting something? Does anyone have an answer?

jimtoo

Re: Donna

Hi Donna,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

You need to look at your owners manuals to be sure, but hopefully it's just needs batteries. This is link to Heartland Users Guides which have user manuals and owner manuals. This is found under the "Tools" tab at top of page.

I am also changing tittle of post and moving to correct location. You will be redirected automatically.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

danemayer

Hi Donna,

Are there any fuel-burning appliances running? Generator, furnace, water heater, oven, heater?

If not, check the labeling on the CO detector. It probably has a description of the low battery alert, which is likely quite a bit less obnoxious than a CO alert. Our original detector would signal low battery with a series of beeps that were much quieter than the sound from testing the alarm.

Gary521

Carbon Monoxide detectors have a shelf life and fail after a period of time. Try the battery thing first.

Crumgater

Yep, even if the battery is ok, if the monitor itself is past it's expiration date, it will beep and be annoying until you get it replaced.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If the rig is a 2014, it's not likely the detector has died of old age. Check the backside of it and it may have a label that describes what the low battery alert sounds like. Normally it's a repeated set of beeps.
If changing the batteries doesn't work, replace it, even if it's fairly new.

Just like smoke detectors, if cleaners or other aerosols are sprayed on it (or near it) the sensor can be ruined.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeR

We have a 2014 Big Country and just had to replace the battery in our carbon monoxide detector.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Just like your home, change the batteries once a year, or in the case of an RV, at the beginning of your "season." I put fresh batteries in the rig's detectors (and anything else that uses a battery) in May before it goes up north and remove them in September when it comes back home for storage. Some of the used batteries get "recycled" at home into computer mouses, TV remotes, penlights or digital alarm clocks until they are finally dead, but never back into a smoke or CO alarm.

billyjoeraybob

South Carolina Chapter Leaders-Retired
As others have already mentioned CO detectors and Smoke Alarms have expiration dates. They expire because the substance that is used to sense that there is a problem deteriorate over time. Many smoke detectors will let you change the battery and test out fine, but the are out of date and will not work properly. Don't forget to check your fire extinguishers also. Next time you are at the store you may want to pick one up for the bedroom in your rig and don't forget one for the TV. Safe travels!

nonamer

I agree these items has expiration date and it should be up to date always to prevent any problem and issue in the near future specially the fire extinguishers.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I have a 2014 Heartland Bighorn and my carbon monoxide detector is beeping in the bedroom. Has this happened to anyone? I don't know if I need to change the batteries or if it is actually detecting something? Does anyone have an answer?

Yup!

Time to change the batteries!

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Dust or a spider in the detector could also trigger the beeps or even a false alarm. Replace the batteries and if the interior looks like it has dust or cobwebs, You might carefully use a vacuum to remove the dust.

Tundra2084

A family in Toronto Canada almost lost their lives due to a beeping carbon detector. They got tired of hearing the beeping, so removed the battery but did not replace it. Fast forward 3 month's, weather is getting colder and furnace is in use. Family is sleeping and not responding to phone or neighbors knocking on door. They call 911 reporting possible problem and fire department is sent to check it out. Family is unconscious due to carbon monoxide poisoning. All are taken to hospital and are released following day including the 6 month old infant.
Now the family is being charged with a new law passed recently for failure to maintain their detectors and they face up to a $50,000 fine and possible jail time.
A simple $3.00 battery is less expensive than loss of life and the fine they're going to end up paying. When the reporter asked why this family was being charged the response was, we are making an example out of this family and what's going to happen to anyone who does the same thing. All homes private and or rental have to have working smoke and carbon detectors in place at all times and, if found to not have them, will be charged as well as any tampered with detectors will also be charged. Owners of the buildings are responsible for the safety of all residents.

If in doubt throw it out. If a battery change isn't working change the total unit for a new working one. Don't skimp on saving you're or someone else's life.