Ext Warranty Misrepresented

MTPockets

Thinking about an extended warranty? I bought it in Oct 2011 and used it in 2014, so we have 80% of our money back. I may need it again so I was reviewing coverage and noticed that it expires in Oct 2016, five years from date of purchase. I recalled the Lazydays agent selling me on this Five Year Extended Warranty starting "after" the manufacturers warranty expired, which would effectively mean an expiration date of Oct 2017. So, I pulled out the original paperwork. Near the top in separate blocks are "Date of Purchase" 10/31/11; "In Service Date 10/30/12, "Term of Contract 60 months. Here we are, in 2011, sitting in the sales office talking about the contract on the day of delivery. In my mind, a Five year extension means five extra years. That seemed to be supported by the fact there is a box that says "10/30/12 In Service Date" ... At the time it seemed logical so I bought it.... Discovering it now that I was wrong to make that assumption is humbling at least.. I think that In Service Date is misleading along with the Five year extended warranty.. I've discussed it with Cornerstone, the warranty company, and there's nothing I can do. It is a five year contract from date of purchase, but doesn't begin coverage until one year later.. Bottom line, I was snookered out of a year, maybe lied to by Lazy Days. My suggestion, if you buy an extended warranty, spend a lot of time reading and considering every detail before you commit. In my case, Since I have recovered 80% of the value and have 11 more months (instead of the assumed 23), I'll be OK value-wise, but a lesson learned.. I just don't trust RV sales people....

danemayer

From what I've seen, this is the standard practice on RV extended warranties, as well as auto extended warranties.

Good Sam's Extended Warranty on RVs starts at the time you purchase the trailer. They don't cover anything where a factory warranty is in place. So on a Landmark, with a 2 year warranty, their coverage won't start until 2 years after purchase of the rig. If you bought 3 years of coverage, they're really only giving you one additional year. On a Bighorn with a one year coach warranty, and a 2 year refrigerator warranty, some coverage starts at the end of year 1 and some starts at the end of year 2.

Same on Toyota factory warranty extension. Same on Subaru.

MTPockets

From what I've seen, this is the standard practice on RV extended warranties, as well as auto extended warranties.

Good Sam's Extended Warranty on RVs starts at the time you purchase the trailer. They don't cover anything where a factory warranty is in place. So on a Landmark, with a 2 year warranty, their coverage won't start until 2 years after purchase of the rig. If you bought 3 years of coverage, they're really only giving you one additional year. On a Bighorn with a one year coach warranty, and a 2 year refrigerator warranty, some coverage starts at the end of year 1 and some starts at the end of year 2.

Same on Toyota factory warranty extension. Same on Subaru.
Yes, this is what I learned. What threw me was the "In service date" - it was easy for the sales guy to refer to that while selling a "five year extended warranty". That, on the surface sounds like five years from the In service date.. Live & learn. It's why I'm sharing.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Remember all of the grief I had when we tried to use our extended warranty down in Phoenix last January on our way to the Quartzite Rally with our previous 2013 Heartland Trail Runner?

When they left us high and dry 1000 miles away from home?

Needless to say . . . we didn't waste our money on an extended warranty on the Prowler.

We may add the Good Sam's extended warranty when we get close to the end of our Heartland warranty (May, 2016).

When you sign on the dotted line for an extended warranty, make sure you have a bottle of lemon juice with you!

Footnote: Even though I love the Prowler, I do miss that Trail Runner . . . it was a pretty sweet trailer!

Last campout with the Trail Runner . . . we actually traded it in while it was sitting at this campsite!

TrailRunnerAtCherryChreek-IMG_20150517_095052920.jpg TrailRunnerAtCherryChreek-IMG_20150517_095110323.jpg TrailRunnerAtCherryChreek-IMG_20150517_095204779.jpg TrailRunnerAtCherryChreek-IMG_20150517_095153310.jpg

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
ALL extended warranties are a crapshoot with the odds in favor of the seller!

MTPockets

ALL extended warranties are a crapshoot with the odds in favor of the seller!
Yep, I would agree. I got it as we were going to be full time, and, it has been used for a new convection/microwave and installation of two dump valves; so, we've gotten 80% back with now about 11 months to go.. The snookering was they twisted the term of coverage so it seemed to begin the five year period on the "In service date" on the contract.