extended warranty information

Noofear

You like me and others paid a lot of money for their trailer. Why wouldn't you protect yourself with an extended service plan. I'm with a company called Protective Asset Protection. I have the Xtra Ride Platinum plan with a 100 diollar deductible. The plan covers everything except brakes, tires and light bulbs. If like me, I'd rather buy a $1800 policy for 7 years and not worry about having to pay for anything major. Granted some may have bought a cheap policy and see no benefit IMHO it just makes sense that over the next seven years I expect to have air conditioning problems, possibly a hot water heater, a pump, a furnace, etc, etc etc

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Noofear

oh that was for a 2015 Bighorn 3875 FB with most of the options

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Make sure you read the fine print.

Many extended warranties have yearly maintanance requirements that need to be documented in writing (but are not necessarily needed) that will cost you a lot of money.

Many of the extended warranties are rip offs designed to make someone's monthly BMW payments!

We got screwed on our previous Heartland trailer with the extended warranty.

I learned my lesson.

Noofear

Make sure you read the fine print.

Many extended warranties have yearly maintanance requirements that need to be documented in writing (but are not necessarily needed) that will cost you a lot of money.

Many of the extended warranties are rip offs designed to make someone's monthly BMW payments!

We got screwed on our previous Heartland trailer with the extended warranty.

I learned my lesson.
Again just your opinion and my experience it worked out great

Noofear

By the way I've had numerous other 5th wheel travel trailers I've had extended warranties on every one of them not once was I ever sorry that I took out that extended warranty and not once it did not pay for itself. On my last fifth wheel sob I had to replace the stereo the hot water heater and the front landing gear twice that extended warranty more than paid for itself three times over

JohnD

Again just your opinion and my experience it worked out great

Not an opinion . . .

Let me just say this . . .

Our extended warranty (N*Compass) left us hanging over 1000 miles from home!

What a waste of money it was . . .

They offered to pay $150 of over a $4000 repair . . . after our $150 deductable was paid, of course!

Hope you are happy with your extended warranty . . . enjoy!

If your dealership sold it to you . . . beware!

Noofear

Not an opinion . . .

Let me just say this . . .

Our extended warranty left us hanging over 1000 miles from home!

What a waste of money it was . . .

They offered to pay $150 of over a $4000 repair . . . after our $150 deductable was paid, of course!

Hope you are happy with your extended warranty . . . enjoy!
Well I am very happy with my extended warranties I've had and I'm sorry that you didn't buy a better warranty yourself and you didn't read the fine print as to what was covered and what wasn't sounds to me that's your fault and not the extended warranty companies

JohnD

Well I am very happy with my extended warranties I've had and I'm sorry that you didn't buy a better warranty yourself and you didn't read the fine print as to what was covered and what wasn't sounds to me that's your fault and not the extended warranty companies

I'm not going to argue with you . . .

Just a warning to watch out as these extended warranties are not always what it seems . . . or what they were in the past!

Just let me say this . . .

At least I am willing to let you all know that I got screwed . . .

Many here are not willing to let us know about it.

If you do . . . please come here and let us know!

You like me and others paid a lot of money for their trailer. Why wouldn't you protect yourself with an extended service plan. I'm with a company called Protective Asset Protection. I have the Xtra Ride Platinum plan with a 100 diollar deductible. The plan covers everything except brakes, tires and light bulbs. If like me, I'd rather buy a $1800 policy for 7 years and not worry about having to pay for anything major. Granted some may have bought a cheap policy and see no benefit IMHO it just makes sense that over the next seven years I expect to have air conditioning problems, possibly a hot water heater, a pump, a furnace, etc, etc etc

I'm new to RV ownership and I too bought the extended warranty that covers everything except for: Fuses & lightbulbs. At first I wasn't going to get it because Dixie RV (where I bought it) told me they have a 'forever warranty' as long as I have it serviced annually. Of course, when I get to the paperwork I find out that the 'forever' warranty is NOT bumper to bumper. For instance, doesn't cover the slide if there are problems. Some kind of warranty eh? So yeah, I bought the 6 year bumper to bumper... that covers everything. Peace of mind.

Not sure why anyone would recommend to a new RV owner to not get a bumper to bumper extended warranty. Being new to RVs we know the least about what some of the big ticket items can cost to repair or what can even go wrong with them. IMO, only a seasoned RVer would be ok to skip the bumper to bumper because they are already familiar with all the costs and whatnot.

To each their own, but I'm glad I bought the warranty I did.

JohnD

I'm new to RV ownership and I too bought the extended warranty that covers everything except for: Fuses & lightbulbs. At first I wasn't going to get it because Dixie RV (where I bought it) told me they have a 'forever warranty' as long as I have it serviced annually. Of course, when I get to the paperwork I find out that the 'forever' warranty is NOT bumper to bumper. For instance, doesn't cover the slide if there are problems. Some kind of warranty eh? So yeah, I bought the 6 year bumper to bumper... that covers everything. Peace of mind.

Not sure why anyone would recommend to a new RV owner to not get a bumper to bumper extended warranty. Being new to RVs we know the least about what some of the big ticket items can cost to repair or what can even go wrong with them. IMO, only a seasoned RVer would be ok to skip the bumper to bumper because they are already familiar with all the costs and whatnot.

To each their own, but I'm glad I bought the warranty I did.

Lets just hope that these extended warranty companies are still in business in seven years . . . or even two or three years.

We thought ours was on the level, too . . . until we tried to use it.

ksucats

On our SOB we got one from the dealer when it was purchased - Had several things repaired on the coach during the five years we had the coverage, never a squawk or peep from them. Dealers (several over the years) worked with them and other than photographs being needed a couple of times, nothing more. It more than paid for itself over the five years.

When it expired we went to Camping World - all the literature we had received, and good recommendation from a local owner of the same coach brand we had, and who we knew very well, made us think it would be a good choice - Well, they wouldn't even write the coverage for the coach until it had a 'thorough' inspection where they required us to replace several things. Minor but a PITA at the time. Then, several weeks after that we had an AC unit freeze up. No coverage by CW Extended service plan - no proof that CW in Grain Valley MO actually inspected it even though we had the paperwork showing that they had and what we had had to repair before they would issue the contract. Their (GS) reply was that it 'is obvious that the inspection was not thorough or complete! The kick in the pants - after we replaced the AC on our dime we cancelled the policy (less than one week later). From the refund they deducted the 'R&R of the AC'. I immediately wrote them back and was told that even though they did not cover it, the labor that went into the handling of the paperwork and followup in the denial was the basis for the reduction. Just another nail in the coffin for us not buying our latest coach from CW, nor recommending anyone purchase from them. Sorry for the later part - a rant :(

Lets just hope that these extended warranty companies are still in business in seven years . . . or even two or three years.

We thought ours was on the level, too . . . until we tried to use it.

Mine is with a company that has been in business for 18 years and has an A+ rating with the BBB. I'm sure they've had bumps along the way with some customers as any company would and no company is perfect. I'm sorry you had a bad experience and I hope like **** I don't have any of the problems you experienced but again, being new to RV ownership I'm not going to know all the ins and outs and fixes for things so for me it's peace of mind.

I do have to have the annual maintenance inspections and that does cost extra however I don't mind this at all, in fact I actually like the idea of having the professionals look at it every year and taking a proactive approach to upkeep. In the grand scheme of what the RV cost, a couple hundred dollars a year isn't going to break me.

Thanks for your input :)

ksucats

Just to add my .02 - we have our water heater, furnace and propane line checked each year to insure proper operation and ensure no leaks. On our SOB we also had the refrigerator propane burner and flue checked - actually had that done twice a year. (Our LM has a residential unit.) A/C shrouds were checked twice a year along with roof caulking and roof cleaning. We asked our supporting dealer to pull the shrouds if they thought necessary to check and clean the interior portion of the roof units. A couple of hundred dollars a year but we felt, and feel, it well worth the knowledge that things were secure and working properly. Did things still break, sure, but we had done our part and our extended warranty company came through when they were needed. Personally I'm risk averse, I hope we never need to use the extended warranty but when we do it is nice to have it there.

Am so new to this. Already our dealership is not being forthright and we feel like the sale is all they wanted. Can we take our Bighorn to another dealership for warranty work?

jimtoo

Am so new to this. Already our dealership is not being forthright and we feel like the sale is all they wanted. Can we take our Bighorn to another dealership for warranty work?

Hi mikefoshoe,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

You do not have to take you unit back to the selling dealership, but most of the others will put you at the back of the list. You can get an independent repair shop to do work for you, but you must get prior approval from Heartland. They have a lot of independent shops that work for them, so if you have a problem you might call Heartland Customer Service, 574-262-8030 or 877-262-8032, have your VIN when you call and explain your problems. If the repair is done on site or if repair shops charge a service call fee you will most likely have to pay for that.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

ssjt2000

If you would like a quote for Protective's Xtra Ride service contract I can help.
Up to 2 year old units with a $100 - $500 deductible.
Send me a message!

jt4doors

We used the same logic when we purchased our preowned Landmark Key Largo last year, knowing that we would be going full time in either 2016 or 2017. The warranty period is for 5 years and we added tire and wheel coverage. We chose not to take the extended warranty offered through our dealer as it cost was $1000 per year. We went with Wholesale Warranties after reading a number of positive comments from RV owners. The warranty has paid over $600 for a new TV before we left on our CO trip last fall. I agree, it's a personal call and there is a huge difference among companies and policies. I read the contract several times before signing off.

Thanks for the info on the warantee. We are new to this group and picking up our first Heartland on Saturday, it's a Bighorn 2015 3570. I have the same dilemma, ****** if you do and ****** if you don't. And Murphy's law... It might be worth the risk if it is half the price the dealers want you to pay. They want $2700 for 4 years and a 100.00 deductible. The owner of an RV place in Michigan said his cost is about 975.00.....thanks again, Jerry T.

P.S. they offer a 50.00 referral fee. If you want to refer us, just type in our email address: jt4doors@aol.com I will be requesting a quote anyway...here is the link...

https://www.wholesalewarranties.com/quote-forms/rv-warranty-quote/thank-you/

BusManRG

We're starting to shop for an extended warranty plan. We want to make sure and have it in place before we turn 1. When I've looked before, I thought Good Sam looked to have pretty comprehensive coverage. One thing I see on this forum repeatedly are issues with delamination. Is that something that any of these policies would cover??

Sandy

danemayer

We're starting to shop for an extended warranty plan. We want to make sure and have it in place before we turn 1. When I've looked before, I thought Good Sam looked to have pretty comprehensive coverage. One thing I see on this forum repeatedly are issues with delamination. Is that something that any of these policies would cover??

Sandy

You have to read the terms and conditions to find out what is covered and what is excluded. Most policies are focused on appliance failures and exclude structural issues, water damage, wear and tear, suspension problems and more.

Not to pick on Good Sam, but here's the list of exclusions from a few years ago (highlighting added):
Any pre-existing problems that are present prior to the purchase of this Coverage whether known or unknown. The condition of the covered part(s) in
question will be assessed to determine time of initial breakdown.
• Mechanical Breakdowns outside the United States and Canada.
• Any loss resulting from inadequate amounts of coolant, lubricant, or fluids.
• Any breakdown on a unit used for off-road use, rental use, or delivery purposes, or by overloading the trailer beyond the maximum GVW rating listed on the
identification tag on the unit.
• Mechanical Breakdowns covered by manufacturer's warranty, manufacturer's recall, or factory bulletins, (regardless of whether or not the manufacturer is
doing business as an ongoing enterprise), any other Service Agreement, repairer’s warranty, written warranty, or any valid and collectable insurance policy.
• Damage to a non-covered part by a covered part(s) or to a covered part by a non-covered part(s) failure.
• Any covered part which is not broken down but which a repair facility recommends or requires be repaired or replaced. Suggested or necessary upgrades or
replacements are not covered.
Any loss or damage to the overall structure both internal and external, including but not limited to Frames, Bumpers, Walls, Floor, Roof, Siding, Doors,
Remote or manually actuated panels or covers, Windows, Glass, Weather stripping and moldings, Cabinets, Counter Tops and Integrated Sinks, Carpet, Beds,
Awning fabric, Batteries, Fuses, Tires, Wheels. (Structure materials can be either wood, metal, rubber, fiberglass, glass or any other structural product).
• Any loss caused by improper or contaminated fuel or other fluids.
• Any loss due to continued operation in a failed condition.
• Any loss caused by negligence, misuse, abuse, impact or collision damage or from any other cause whatsoever, except as provided under this Coverage.
• Any repair for the purpose of correcting the engine compression or correcting oil consumption when a Mechanical Breakdown has not occurred. Valve
grinding and/or worn rings are not covered. De-carbonization is not covered.
• Any replacement costs of filters, fluids, sealing boots, and seals or gaskets, except as provided under this Coverage.
• Any loss caused by any alterations not meeting manufacturer's specifications.
• Any unit with a “branded” title including but not limited to salvage, rebuilt, restored, refurbished, totaled, and any units previously owned by FEMA (Federal
Emergency Management Agency).
• The replacement of an entire system due to obsolescence or unavailability of the failed covered part(s).
• Alignments, adjustments, tune-ups, fuels.
• Any damage or failure resulting from rust, corrosion or freezing.
• Any damage or failure resulting from Acts of God, power surges, collision, upset, or any damage from a non-covered source.