extended warranty information

danemayer

Hi kryineagle911,

Congratulations on your new Gateway and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions on extended warranties.

Be sure to check out the Owners Club. Great way to meet like-minded people and have a great time at rallies.

Also, let me point you to our owner-written user guides which you might find helpful. You can get to them by clicking on the TOOLS tab at top of page and selecting HUG - Heartland User Guides, or from this link.

jnbhobe

Better read that warranty real close, most of them always seem to have a way not to cover anything. Put the money in the bank and save it for your repairs, you'll be farther ahead.

Garypowell

About 4 months ago ours paid for itself and we have a couple of years left. Generally we have never purchased these policies but when we bought the new rig we were not sure we were going to be in the position to pay for a high repair bill. So the gamble worked out for us this time.

kowAlski631

About 4 months ago ours paid for itself and we have a couple of years left. Generally we have never purchased these policies but when we bought the new rig we were not sure we were going to be in the position to pay for a high repair bill. So the gamble worked out for us this time.

We agree. Ours worked for us when we needed it.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We didn't purchase one for our 2015 Prowler after our previous 2013 Heartland Trail Runner broke down in Phoenix, AZ and the extended warranty that we had on it left us hanging high and dry.

Waste of money as you are most likely making someone else's BMW payment instead of actually getting covered for anything.

MTPockets

I have avoided those extended warranties on most every purchase; exception being our current Big Horn. Since we were going be full time in the Big Horn and extended warranty seemed wise. Ours is with a company name Cornerstone. It doesn't cover anything structural like walls, roof, frame, tires, suspension, but it does cover all appliances and fixtures, A/C Frig, etc. We have used the warranty to replace two dump valves, awning motor, and the convection/microwave. We still have one year remaining and in our case, we are even money wise. I still believe extended warranties are not the way to go unless, like us you are using full time; even then it's a close call. A new A/C or refrigerator could pay for itself. It's obviously a personal call.

dgano1147

We purchased our 2015 edge toyhauler from Dixie RV. It came with a free lifetime warranty with warranty forever. We only have to pay for an annual inspection which is around $300. Still under Heartland warranty until April. Then the Free forever warranty kicks in.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We purchased our 2015 edge toyhauler from Dixie RV. It came with a free lifetime warranty with warranty forever. We only have to pay for an annual inspection which is around $300. Still under Heartland warranty until April. Then the Free forever warranty kicks in.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Did you read the fine print?

dlw930

I have avoided those extended warranties on most every purchase; exception being our current Big Horn. Since we were going be full time in the Big Horn and extended warranty seemed wise. Ours is with a company name Cornerstone. It doesn't cover anything structural like walls, roof, frame, tires, suspension, but it does cover all appliances and fixtures, A/C Frig, etc. We have used the warranty to replace two dump valves, awning motor, and the convection/microwave. We still have one year remaining and in our case, we are even money wise. I still believe extended warranties are not the way to go unless, like us you are using full time; even then it's a close call. A new A/C or refrigerator could pay for itself. It's obviously a personal call.

We used the same logic when we purchased our preowned Landmark Key Largo last year, knowing that we would be going full time in either 2016 or 2017. The warranty period is for 5 years and we added tire and wheel coverage. We chose not to take the extended warranty offered through our dealer as it cost was $1000 per year. We went with Wholesale Warranties after reading a number of positive comments from RV owners. The warranty has paid over $600 for a new TV before we left on our CO trip last fall. I agree, it's a personal call and there is a huge difference among companies and policies. I read the contract several times before signing off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dlw930

We have the Good Sam ESP on our 09 Bighorn. It has paid for itself several times over.

I got a quote from Good Sam's ESP but it was considerably more expensive Wholesale Warranty for similar coverage and they would only do a year to year policy on our pre-owned model. Wholesale wrote us a 5 year plan. The proof will be if they continue to stand behind their plan for the next 4+ years.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I got a quote from Good Sam's ESP but it was considerably more expensive Wholesale Warranty for similar coverage and they would only do a year to year policy on our pre-owned model. Wholesale wrote us a 5 year plan. The proof will be if they continue to stand behind their plan for the next 4+ years.

The proof is really what do the RV Repair centers accept. No warranty is worth anything is it is not accepted at a repair facility or if you have to pay out of pocket and then wait to be reimbursed.

dlw930

The proof is really what do the RV Repair centers accept. No warranty is worth anything is it is not accepted at a repair facility or if you have to pay out of pocket and then wait to be reimbursed.

I'm sure that's true. I've had several extended warranties over the years and have yet to have a repair facility turn down a check from the warranty company. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Hello HL folks.

We just purchased a HL BC 5th wheel and haven't picked it up yet. We are seriously considering the 6 yr extended warranty primarily because we would get about 2/3'ds of back if we don't use it after the 6 yrs.

Anyhoo, glad to be part of the forum. Cheers.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Congrats! Is the new Big Country used or brand new? What floorplan?

Hi,

We purchased a new 2016 3650RL, we thought it would meet our needs in terms of, well, comfort to be honest. The large bathroom with plenty of elbow room fit the bill. The King mattress was also very inviting. And of course many other features. As we were looking at horse trailers with living quarters, they just don't stack up to the attributes of a fifth wheel, in our opinion.

We are brand new to RV'ing. And plan to use the RV at horse shows including a loop through Colorado in June for a horse show circuit.

I am sure I will have plenty of questions once we pick it up and begin to use it.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Based on the fact you are buying new and inexperienced in owning an RV, I'm not sure I would pony up the price for the extended warranty just yet. Your trailer has a one year warranty, and many appliances have 2 year. Once you get to know your rig, you'll understand they aren't as complex and mysterious as you'd think. Many folks here have located or created troubleshooting guides to help diagnose and/or fix common issues that arise in all rvs. You might look at an extended warranty down the road from GoodSam or CoachNet or others, that may be cheaper, or start a savings fund for yourself for future issues that might come up.

Be sure to video or take lots of pics as you do the walk through and Pre delivery inspection, (PDI), make sure your dealer has it hooked to electricity, water, has propane on, and can dump the tanks as well. You'll want to test everything before you sign paperwork, and have them fix anything not to your satisfaction before you take delivery.