Backup camera

We have had our first fifth wheel about 3 weeks. I seen a couple campers on our last outing that had backup cameras. Any favorites or input on what to look for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davebennington

There are a couple of ways to go when it comes to backup cameras, I have tried both.

First: hard wired unit that has a cable from the rear of the coach to somewhere near the hitch area. then a cable from the dash area of the truck to somewhere near the tailgate. You have to connect this every time you hookup the truck to the camper.

Second: A wireless unit that mounts a camera and antenna on the rear of the coach and a monitor on the dash. This works but not well when driving down the road. There is an option that makes this one a little better, that is a cable that runs from the camera on the rear of the coach to the antenna mounted somewhere in the front on the coach, (this shortens the signal path).

Now opinion time, I now have the wireless camera with the cable run from the rear to the propane compartment. I would not do this again, go for the hard wired it never failed the entire time I had the coach. wish I had taken it with me and installed it on our new camper.

dave

Last edited:

jbeletti

Like Dave - I have to agree with Wired is always better from a signal quality and availability perspective.

That said, I've used 4 different wireless systems and the best of them have been the Voyager products. I am using one on my current coach.

Heartland and many others are semi-standardizing on the Furrion wireless product. I haven't seen one in action and have heard very few reports, so time will tell on that system.

If you're not up for a bunch of wire pulling - consider a wireless systems with good report cards. If you are up for a wiring project and likely a bit higher (all-in) cost and want the quality and uptime of a wired unit - there are many options out there.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have a hard wired camera. It has served me well for eight years. A simple move from trailer to trailer.
Since you have a 2015 RAM and if you have the 8.4 Uconnect radio you can get some software along with a little hardware (plug and play) and view the camera on your radio. Customtronix.
I did this on my RAM and the system is awesome.

Peace
Dave

jbeletti

I have a hard wired camera. It has served me well for eight years. A simple move from trailer to trailer.
Since you have a 2015 RAM and if you have the 8.4 Uconnect radio you can get some software along with a little hardware (plug and play) and view the camera on your radio. Customtronix.

Peace
Dave

I've seen Dave's camera viewing system on his in-dash unit and it's pretty amazing.

Happy Campers

Peace
Dave

I'm interested in hearing a little more about your setup since my RV is wired for a backup camera.Once set up I should be able to view the camera on my radio when backing up if I can get everything installed.I do have some auxiliary switches I can use if necessary.
Thank you