Gps

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Howdy!

As Fulltimer's for several years now we have been using Co-pilot gps app on tablet and smartphone. It has a RV setting you can set the height of your RV up to 13'. Our now Cyclone 4000 is 13'6" so we purchased the Truck version of Co-pilot. I like to use my Smsung tablet with a large screen hole towing the 5er. We use the smartphone in the car. If you have a tablet with gps or smartphone I see no need to purchase a stand alone gps.

https://copilotgps.com/us/personal/android.asp

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

When I use my iPhone, I'm using cellular data while driving, which I do occasionally when I prefer that route compared to that of my Garmin gps.
If you're doing that all day every travel day, don't you need a healthy data plan???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

I've tried out the GPS CoPilot on an iPad. My iPad has a GPS chip (not all do), so it doesn't need an internet connection for the GPS software to operate and provide accurate mapping. However, if the internet connection is available, the search capability can do a great job of locating points of interest.

I ran the GPS CoPilot alongside my Garmin RV760 on several trips to see how it compared. I love the display provided on the iPad. But the two devices could never agree on routing, even with the same settings. I trust the Garmin more so I stopped using the GPS CoPilot.

But if I had just the iPad with GPS chip, and no Garmin, I think it would do a very good job.

The 13' height limit is concerning. So if you want to use it, you either need another low clearance app or book, or you need to upgrade to the truck version.

navyAZ1

I have both the Garmin, and the Rand McNally. Garmin does seem to not lead you astray as much as the Rand-McNally, but the Rand-McNally has many more features on the display that I like better than the Garmin. Plus the Rand-McNally list all the Military Campgrounds where the Garmin does not, and being retired Navy we use the Military CG's as much as possible. For me the big difference is personal preference. Their cost are pretty equal.

mlpeloquin

That is one thing the Rand McNally does NOT DO . . . tell you what lane to be in!

We used a friend's Tom Tom when we were in Florida awhile back and it did that . . . a very nice feature!

The Good Sam Rand McNally RV GPS we have does tell and display which lane to be in.

ram_1955

I start with the Rand McNally gps and it had me taking a dead end road with a huge ditch (no road) into a campground in Texas. If I had not been watching I would have had to back out on to a major road because of it. I ditched the Rand and bought the Garmin 760 it has been good even when I went back to the same camp ground. I also like Garmins touch screen better.