Electric Heat Strip

co4me

I have the electric heat strip kit on my Duo Therm Air Conditioner. With the cool weather I have tried the heat strip and am very disappointed with the heat it generates. I can feel a little warm air out of the bedroom vents but the air coming out of the large A/C opening in the ceiling feels cool.

I called Dometic and they said it isn't meant to heat the coach like a furnace which I already knew. They said it is meant to be a "chill chaser".

I can't find the output stats on either the heat kit or my electric fireplace but the fireplace definitely puts out a lot more heat. Does anyone else have the heat strip and feel it puts out adequate heat?

Thanks,

Bill

Jay1949

jay1949
Electric heat strp

Thanks for the notice. We had been suggested to get the heat strip for the bedroom unit, as then your using the parks electric, but, if it really doesn't provide sufficent heat...................
Thermopane windows will help. and a small electric heater to supplement the strip is possible.
We do not do much "cold" weather camping, maybe in the 40's, for a few nitghts, but that isn't bad.
I don't know how much heat a propane unit really puts out, or the amount of LP usage.
Good luck.............

jpmorgan37

I can tell you that when the temperature is in the high 20's that the furnace will suck a 40# bottle of propane in a couple of days. I would highly recommend the AC/heat pump combination. Anything above 35 degrees and my heat pumps do a great job. I only use the main one at night because the one in the bedroom wakes me up when it comes on. During the day I run the one in the bedroom and it will usually keep the entire trailer warm, if the temps are above the mid 40's. The heat pump shuts down and the furnace comes on at about 30 degrees. I don't even try the heat strip (don't even know if it works) since the heat pumps do a good job. I also have (and recommend) the dual pane windows.

John

co4me

A heat strip in the bedroom unit would probably do a pretty good job of heating the bedroom - however, they are noisy like the A/C since it uses the A/C fan. We have a small portable electric unit that does a great job in the bedroom. I never use the heat strip any longer . We do have the electric fireplace which we really enjoy and it heats the living area pretty well - especially with another small electric heating unit going.

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

When I took delivery of my Grand Canyon it was suppose to have a heat pump, this was according to the salesman. I found out it did not ! The dealer refused to change out the unit and I settled on them installing a heat strip. The major problem is that the strip is to close to the fan and can not get hot. It does keep the chill out, and I have found that it will work down to about 50 degrees. I bought a ceramic heater and put it in the living area. This works down to about 35 degrees, my wife and I like the bedroom a little cool at night so being that far away is not a problem. As for the gas, we spent a week in Oklahoma when the temps were down in the teens. I went through three 40 lb tanks in that time. It kept the fiver real warm but can get costly if that is all you have.

J-W&E

That sounds like a lot of LP. Does your coach have the thermopane windows or the regular single pane glass?

Racerguy

I use the heat pump at night and in the morning when I get up (5am) I turn on the furance. Once the morning warms up enough, the misses switches it back to the heat pump. And yes you can burn thru alot of propane. I went thru 80+#'s in less than 10 days. The nightime lows were in the lower 20's. I guess if I would put a skirt all the way around it would help, but don't expect to be in the cold next year