Roof mounted satellite dish

rdgt67

Thinking about a roof tip satellite and wanting to know if any Lm 365 owners have installed one and any recommendations or pitfalls

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

This is on my todo list. I know there is a mounting structure backing plate built into the roof. You can get the the blue print sheet from heart or I have seen some of them on here somewhere. Dan might be able to find it for you. What model do you have ?
It should be right above the blank outlet cover in the bedroom ceiling.
For now i'm using the portable King dish.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We had a roof mounted satellite dish on our roof on two of our previous 5ers. We ended up going with a Winnegard Carry Out automatic dish (for direct TV) on our present 5er. We found that many times we could not use the roof mounted dish because trees were in the way. Many RV Parks pride themselves on 'shady' sites and have few if any open sites. The open sites are usually full with other RVer who need an open sky to use their roof mounted dish. With the Carry Out we can move it around if needed till we find an open spot to get reception.

mlpeloquin

One thing to consider. I put one of the Winegard Trav'Ler Dish on my 24' class C. It worked great, but even with a 24' class C I could not get a clear view to the southern sky all the time. Big trees are a fact of life in RV parks. So long as you realize that, you won't be disappointed. For my Big Horn I made a PVC stand eight inches off the ground, mounted a home HD dish, installed the power, and signal splitter in the UDC. I purchased a used reconditioned Birddog meter from Satellite Oasis. It sets up in less than 35 minuets and I can put it in the tightest places to get a signal. May not be you cup of tea, but it is something to consider.

The dish comes apart and I store the horn and stem under the bed in a moving blanket from Harbor Freight to reduce the shock on the front end. I drilled out the rivets and replaced them with push pins. Stores in a small space. Sorry the pictures are rotated, but my I phone??? They are right side up on my MAC. Has not blown over in 50 - 55 MPH winds plus gusts in Los Vegas.

IMG_0977.JPGIMG_0980.JPGIMG_0981.JPGIMG_0985.JPGIMG_0976.JPGIMG_0983.JPG

NHCelt

We had a roof mounted satellite dish on our roof on two of our previous 5ers. We ended up going with a Winnegard Carry Out automatic dish (for direct TV) on our present 5er. We found that many times we could not use the roof mounted dish because trees were in the way. Many RV Parks pride themselves on 'shady' sites and have few if any open sites. The open sites are usually full with other RVer who need an open sky to use their roof mounted dish. With the Carry Out we can move it around if needed till we find an open spot to get reception.

Roof mounted are perfect when they work. A tailgater or similar is a much more flexible option...we love ours...just put it in the open and let it do its own setup.

Celt

hoefler

We have a roof mount on our Landmark and it does work flawlessly, except when you are enjoying the shade of the trees. We like to camp in state and federal parks. We also have the Carry-Out and have had to use it more times than you would think. On one trip, it was the only way to get TV for 3 weeks in the 4 parks we stayed in. Including Fort Wilderness and Bluewater Key. If I was to do it again, I would just get a portable and skip the roof mount.

Noofear

I just had a Winegard installed on my roof and I haven't had any problems with RV parks and big trees yet. They all seem to be very accommodating and there's been at least a couple of sites that work, Picacho AZ, Las Vegas NM, La Junta CO. Pueblo CO. North Platte NE. If big trees are an issue with reception, are you even going to fit in a space with out scratching your LM. My BIGHORN is 41.3 and that has been my major issue with the shady sites.

The problem with the little portable dish is they don't always pick up the complete programming package. I'm a full-timer and I've got Dish, if I wanted the premium channels or HD I had to go to the rooftop or the little portable mount but again then you have problems storing it and to aim it and if you're by yourself like I am it's going to take a lot longer. Its pretty easy to just turn the unit on and have tv.

By the way Adventurerv.net has the best prices for the satellite.

No problems except when to stow it in high winds.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk