Major Update to Low Clearance Database

avvidclif

I have a question for Erika. Is yours the RV specific GPS. I also have the Rand McNally and can input my height. From what I gathered if I download the low clearance database it will avoid everything in it and ignore my height limitations? Is that correct?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Clif, we have the RVND 5510, which was the first RV GPS from Rand McNally.

The instructions say there are multiple ways to download the POIs. What I did first was download POIs for 14' and lower.

It also said you could download ALL low clearances as a .zip file, So I thought why not?

Within the GPS, once the files are uploaded, there is a place to indicate the icon these show on the map and how soon you want to be alerted to them, but they must be already programmed to be avoided.

In the "My POIs" area, I designated the icon as a red square for anything in the "All low clearances" database, and a skull&crossbones for the "14' and under" database.

My height set in the GPS for my RV was 12'9" (actually incorrect, we are 13'+ now!) when we discovered the GPS was avoiding a 14' 3" bridge. So honestly, I'm not sure what's going on with how the database of POIs interacts with the actual navigation on this Rand McNally. I just looked again at every menu and there is no place to specify what kind of action to take when encountering a custom POI.

My recommendation is to only upload those low clearances you wish to avoid entirely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh and this wasn't the only crazy bat cr*p this GPS has pulled, so it almost got tossed out the window.

On our way home from Thackerville, OK to Cisco, TX that GPS wanted us to turn due south, even on some questionable county roads, every chance it got. We finally just muted it since we knew the way.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I have a Rand McNally 5510 . . . and I paid the $90 extra for the lifetime maps!

While I've found that the GPS will take me on strange roads . . .

If it says 'Bridge too low' . . . it is usually correct!

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Love these coversations. We finallly are beginning to trust Sync in our F350. The navigation system has been pretty acurate but it does require EXACT information. My complaint to ford about not being able to program some information to look for as others have said, such as low bridges and what your towing, fell on deaf ears with Ford as well.

I agree my Ford F350 SYNC does quite well navigating on the "unrestricted" setting. Have Rand McNally and as a backup to the Ford Sync.

Westwind

l have always had a distrust of GPS devices since my first a TomTom tried sending me East instead of West when I was trying to get to the Fair Grounds in West Palm Beach, I was going to a RV Show and the East route would have put me in the Ocean. Fortunately I knew my way. I have determined that I need to carry my paper Rand McNally map book, and at least familiarize myself with the route prior to leaving so I know if the Electronic talking head (GPS) knows what it is doing. Low hanging bridges and overpasses are another matter and it's unbelieveable that we can't get something reliable. But I've come to the conclusion that only the RV'er is concerned, the industry and those safety officials who should be aren't.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
l have always had a distrust of GPS devices since my first a TomTom tried sending me East instead of West when I was trying to get to the Fair Grounds in West Palm Beach, I was going to a RV Show and the East route would have put me in the Ocean. Fortunately I knew my way. I have determined that I need to carry my paper Rand McNally map book, and at least familiarize myself with the route prior to leaving so I know if the Electronic talking head (GPS) knows what it is doing. Low hanging bridges and overpasses are another matter and it's unbelieveable that we can't get something reliable. But I've come to the conclusion that only the RV'er is concerned, the industry and those safety officials who should be aren't.

I like to think of the GPS unit as a guide . . .

But we also need to use common sense and follow what we see with our own eyes as well.

I am constantly uncomfortable with some of the directions I get from my Rand McNally GPS, but I still use it each and every day.

scotteam1

I am new to fiver towing. I have 2500HD GMC 2016 with on board navigation. Does anyone know if the on board nav can be updated to keep you from low clearance bridges etc?

My biggest fear in towing this fiver.

Skywrench

Full Timer
I went to the lowclearances.com website. It says it is compatable with u-connect. I tried to find the instructions to see how this is possible. Has anyone had success downloading this database to their factory tow vehicle with uconnect? If so, how is this done?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone had success downloading this database to their factory tow vehicle with uconnect? If so, how is this done?
I haven't used the Low Clearance data but have loaded other aftermarket programs into my U-Connect.
I suspect it would be the same process. Down load the info to a memory stick and insert it into a USB media port, then follow the on screen instructions.

Peace
Dave

Skywrench

Full Timer
I haven't used the Low Clearance data but have loaded other aftermarket programs into my U-Connect.
I suspect it would be the same process. Down load the info to a memory stick and insert it into a USB media port, then follow the on screen instructions.

Cool deal thanks

Sarge

Peace
Dave

Any reviews to pass along for your RAM travelers...?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Any reviews to pass along for your RAM travelers...?
Like I said, I didn't use a low clearance add on but I did install software for my backup camera.
When I had my GMC and used a camera on the back of the trailer I needed to have a monitor in the cab of the truck.
When I got the RAM I searched for a way to view the camera on the U-Connect radio monitor.
I found Customtronix and now I have a front cam and trailer backup cam that I can view while traveling and all without an additional monitor in the cab of the truck. Awesome set up.

Peace
Dave

Dennyha

When I got the RAM I searched for a way to view the camera on the U-Connect radio monitor.
I found Customtronix and now I have a front cam and trailer backup cam that I can view while traveling and all without an additional monitor in the cab of the truck. Awesome set up.
I've been looking at Customtronix to add the cargo cam to my RAM. Did you do the install yourself? If so, was it difficult? I don't think I need the front cam, but would love to add the cargo cam to the Uconnect.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I've been looking at Customtronix to add the cargo cam to my RAM. Did you do the install yourself? If so, was it difficult? I don't think I need the front cam, but would love to add the cargo cam to the Uconnect.
I did install myself and I intend to add one more cam aimed at my hitch.
You will need to remove a trim strip, the radio and find a switched 12 volt wire. I taped the cigar lighter wire. Then remove the plug on the radio, plug in a harness then plug into the harness. Plug the yellow RCA plug from the cam into the harness and your done.
So the entire process involves running a few wires and hooking them up and turning a couple of screws. It is easy.
I did do a video for You Tube but never got around to posting it. There are several there already so do a search. And I am here for help if needed.
Oh, and the front cam is pretty nice. I didn't think I would really want it but it was only a few dollars more.

Peace
Dave

Dennyha

I watched the videos on YouTube showing the replacement of the brakelght on the back of the cab, and running the wire to the dash. I haven't seen how to get the radio out. I'll look some more.
Were there any issues with swapping the brakelight? I've heard issues of LED versus incandescent.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I already had the cargo cam so I can't help you there. But I can say that they are pretty good with answering email questions. You might ask them about LED vs incandescent lights. Their replacement brake light might be available either way.
Your brake light is not LED?

Peace
Dave

Dennyha

I'm not sure if my brakelight is LED. I just read on some forums that some experienced problems changing out the brakelight, going from incandescent to LED, so I assumed my OEM brakelight was incandescent.

- - - Updated - - -

And thanks for your help, Dave.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If you think that is bad, add it to your cart and see how much the European VAT tax adds.
There was no VAT on items from Sweden.
And remember that the prices are Euros. So €285 = about $305

Peace
Dave