SOLVED: No 12 volt power when disconnected from shore power

Tigersden

I have no 12 volt power when disconnected from shore power. Battery is reading 12.5V. I pressed the small battery reset button on the battery bus and that had no noticeable effect and did not correct the problem. When I turn off the 15 amp converter breaker in the power panel I immediately lose all 12 volt lighting. An interesting (related to this problem??) observation was that when I tripped the converter breaker, my Air Conditioner and refrigerator both stopped running. My 12 volt works fine when on shore power so should I assume that my converter is OK?

By way of background, when the 12 volt system last worked independently without shore power, I noted that the 12 volt output was weak (lights were dim, slide operation was slow). At the time I attributed this to an insufficiently charged battery and expected it would regain charge while driving down the road. As stated, the battery is now fully charged but the 12 volt system is non functional. All help appreciated.

jnbhobe

Re: No 12 volt power available when disconnected from shore power

A battery is not fully charged unless it reads 13.4 volts.

Tigersden

Thanks Jon - good to know. Does this sound like a battery issue to you? Seems like I should get some output (however weak) from a battery reading above 12v?

jnbhobe

Double check that mini breaker to be sure. sounds like the converter is working.

Tigersden

I get a zero volt reading between the two posts on the mini breaker (after repressing the reset button too). Beginning to sound like it is a mini-breaker failure. Thoughts?

danemayer

When you measure across the two posts on the breaker, the voltage shows as zero because there's the same voltage on both posts. Measure one post at a time with the red lead on the post and black on ground.

Your converter is definitely working because when it gets power through its circuit breaker, you have lights, frig, air conditioner, etc. The reason you lost the refrigerator and air conditioner when you turned off the converter is because you're not getting enough 12V DC to run the thermostat or the refrigerator circuit board.

If you have 12.5V DC on both posts of the mini-circuit breaker near the battery, that breaker would seem to be working. It's possible it's conducting fractional current and the voltage reading is faking you out, but that's unlikely.

The breaker you're looking for should have a reset button, but more important, there should be thick wires attached to each post. That's the one that goes to the power converter and fuse box. I've attached a picture. If it doesn't have a thick wire on each post, you're checking/resetting the wrong breaker.

If you have the right breaker, and power is getting through it, there might be a problem with a loose wire at the power converter or on the back side of the fuse box.

12.5V is enough voltage to run the refrigerator, furnace, thermostat, lighting. It may not be ideal and may not last as long as you'd like, but it should work for test purposes.

Attachments

• Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 46

jnbhobe

Follow what Dan said, he has it all right, would take me all day to type that much. lol

Tigersden

Confirmed that I am checking the correct breaker (thick wires on both posts, reset button on side). I get a zero reading however when checking either of the breaker posts. What should I conclude/do next in this situation? Master switch is in on position. All connections to/from converter feel secure.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

If it were me I would stick the black lead of my meter on the ground post and start following the power, check at the battery first to see what your reading is "a round 12 or 13 volts" then move the red probe to the hot side of the circuit breakers the to the out put side of the circuit breakers. If you still have the full voltage there let use know we can move on from there
A test light Is easier to probe around in there but both will do the job

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Tigersden

With black lead on negative battery post and red lead on hot side of circuit breaker I do get 12+ volts.
With the red probe on hot side of breaker and black lead on output side (the non hot side) of breaker , I get zero voltage.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Bad breaker .
Or your not getting that reset button pushed in far enough

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Just read that again
Leave the black on the ground post of the battery you should get the same reading on both sides of the breaker
It you do have 12 v on both sides it's beyond that if you don't it's the breaker

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

If you need help PM me and I'll give you my number

Tigersden

Yeah - that's what I think too. I have pressed that breaker button as far in as I can, so I guess my next move will be to call Customer Service. Thanks for the help.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Do you have 12v on both sides of the breaker with the negative lead grounded to the battery or frame ?

Tigersden

Yes, I do get 12 volts for both breaker posts when black is on neg post of battery.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Breaker is working let's move on from there

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I believe from there that wire should go straight to the 12 fuse panel. Don't quote me on that yet. I'll see what I can find

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Pull the 4 screws out of your fuse panel and check voltage there
There is 2 big positive wires there I think one is coming from that breaker and the other is coming from the convertor

Might as well tighten all of the posts while your there
158706a6900c6f19aead8726d8c0a351.jpg

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Don't give up yet !!!
Let's fix this thing.